Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
So, does the CD provide any information missing from the printed manual? Does it have any features beyond being a .pdf of the printed manual? Given the printed manual's size, it seems like they could post it on a Web site. It's not that big.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Gee. Maybe someone should post a general source for this CD so that the rest of us could get one. If there's a link to an online source for ordering it, maybe that could go onto one of the Knowledge Base pages so people can get them long after this thread fades into the archives.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know I'm no fun for pointing out how illegal it is to violate copyright and either buy the illegal copies on Ebay or get illegal copies from someone who bought an illegal copy from Ebay, but... I wrote a book on guitars back in 1982 and collected honest royalties for it. I'd rather do without the CD than violate somebody else's copyright, just to get something cool and spiffy, even though I can probably take good care of the car without it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
1. I've never known a car that didn't use a mechanical oil pump driven by the engine. Simply put, if the engine is running, it needs oil, so it makes sense to make the engine pump the oil. An electric pump would require all the same parts, plus the electric motor, making a more complex system with more parts to fail. You don't want the oil pump to fail.

2. Interesting effect. I could guess, but I'd probably be wrong.

3. Colder is thicker for higher pressure. Yes.

4. While the engine runs, the oil pump takes oil from the oil pan at the bottom of the engine and sprays it into the interior top of the engine. Gravity takes it back down through a series of drain ports in the engine. Viscosity makes the oil stick to metal on the way down and gives it that protective lubrication. The oil also carries some heat with it that is slowly radiated from the aluminum oil pan, though the coolant system handles most of the heat management in the engine.

If oil circulation stops for a few seconds while the engine stops, viscosity holds most of the oil in place, since there's no motion wiping the oil away. There shouldn't be too much wear. Starting a cold engine is worse because the car has sat for hours, days or weeks, giving the oil time to slowly drip down, leaving the metal more thinly coated with oil. It takes a long time for the metal to become totally dry. That's why your owner's manual gives you special instructions for long term storage of the unused car.

Meanwhile, a cold engine is not just closer to being dry. It is also cold. Serious wear happens when you have heat AND lack of lubrication. That's when you ruin an engine. If you don't change your oil and filter and the filter clogs up and the bypass valve fails or the bypass valve passes crud thick enough to clog the drain ports that drip oil from the engine top to bottom, or if oil level gets too low for the oil pump to get enough from the oil pan, or if the oil pump fails... You can pretty much throw the engine away under these conditions. Rings weld themselves to cyllinder walls. Bearings grind away, leaving parts vibrating in a joint that needs to be tight. The vibration loosens bolts. Parts get loose enough to hit other parts. I witnessed a post mortem on a portable generator's engine that died this way. It's not pretty.

In that case, oil starved bearings on the crankshaft wore away, causing the connecting rod to vibrate where it joined the crank shaft. The bolts holding the clamp on the connecting rod came loose. Slop in the connecting rod allowed the end of the connecting rod to hit the cam shaft, snapping it in two. Half of the cam shaft kept moving. The other half stopped. A valve stopped in the open position. It's piston hit the valve and the engine immediately stopped, never to run again. The generator that had pumped water and backed up solar electric power for my house suddenly became an Appalachian lawn sculpture.

And no, it wasn't my fault. While I was away on vacation, kids living in other houses serviced by the water pump ran the generator without checking the oil level. We carried water for about three months before the anticipated installation of underground power lines from The Grid to the other houses serviced by the pump. They didn't want to stick with solar power and we didn't want to pay for another generator we would not ultimately need.

Running water through indoor plumbing is a good thing. You don't fully appreciate this as much as I do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts