Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to gauge interest in another run of Shoebox subwoofers and custom amplifier plates. John Wayland is no longer supplying the entire kit (wiring, etc.) but is willing to set up another run of the sub and plate if there is enough interest. For those of you not familiar with the specifics, check out http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/xwayland for more information. It is my understanding that the pricing would be the same as shown on that page.

Jay
2000 Insight

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase the entire kit when it was available. Outstanding craftsmanship and, more importantly, phenominal sound.

My goal was to simply have a superior sounding audio system. I'm sure, for those who want to, the sub would be able to rattle the windows in the houses as you drive by.

This is an excellent opportunity (while it lasts).

Gary

·
Registered
152 Posts
better sound system

After reading the link to shoebox subwoofer I am definitely on the list to get one. These people sound like stereophiles with their talk of 'sound stage' and not recomending rear speakers for that reason. Thanks, that saved me some time and money on installing rear speakers.
Maybe Wayland would want to make some easier money selling dimensional drawings and a kit list so others could duplicate what this group developed without the wait?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I'm not very auto-savvy (I take my car to the dealer) but would love a shoebox sub. I would need some detailed instructions on how to install, where to hook up wires, etc, and wouldn't want to have to do any soldering or the like.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: better sound system

nortoncomando said:
Maybe Wayland would want to make some easier money selling dimensional drawings and a kit list so others could duplicate what this group developed without the wait?
That's what I would like as well. I built a knock-off shoebox of my own. Similar design but not very good. The way it is now I can't put the aluminum shelf back on. Not a huge deal, but when I get around to it I plan on redesigning the box, and if/when that happens I would make the plans available to others who want to DIY.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I tried to do some sort of DIY shoebox of my own. Didn't work out so well. Then again I was trying to use a speaker that was way too huge for the hole. If you ever get to see a shoebox, or even better a super shoe box, you druel over how precisely perfectly made it is for the spot where it goes. The super shoebox even goes the extra length to just perfectly barely fit in it's place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quality Sound System !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Everyone, check out the link up-topic. If you ever wanted a quality sound system, this is it!
We need an order for 6 of shoebox subs to get Wayland back in production.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Insight fans,

Thanks Gary, for the kind review, and thanks everyone for the interest!

It looks like I will be making a special run of standard ShoeBox Subs and Under-seat Amp Plates. I will also offer the 4 ch. Eclipse amp and the Infinity door speakers ($89 a pair), for those who want these items as well. I will of course, include the full set of detailed installation instructions.

The price of the sub and plate have not changed, still at $300 & $75, but the amp is $25 more than before, now at $250 for the 4 ch. Eclipse that fits the plate perfectly, clears the seat, sounds super clean, delivers 50W rms to each door speaker and 140W rms to the sub, and does not over-burden the stock DC-DC 12V system. This amp has both RCA preamp inputs for use with after market head units, and high level inputs for use with the factory head unit.

If anyone is interested in getting in on this limited run, please respond privately to my email address. I need to get all the orders put together by Jan. 19th.

See Ya....John Wayland
[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
OH NO! I was hoping that this was a regular production item! Im without Insight at the moment but REALLY would like this upgrade when I finally can scrounge up some measly student money to buy the car! This is such a wonderful subwoofer setup that IT (in itself) is a selling point for the Insight! (although there are many more selling points ;) )

·
Registered
295 Posts
Power for amplifier.

Looks nice all of this!!!
But I am triying to install an amplifier, and I want 12 volts straight from the battery of the car. But there is no entry between the engine compartment, and the cabin of the car :x . Where can I get 12 volt from to power my 300 watt amplifier? If there is no entry, I have to drill one! :?

Greetz Windmill, the Netherlands

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I recall what I did was to run the wire from the 12v battery to the upper corner of the drivers side engine bay and feed the wire through the fender then into the cabin.

You can also look under the dash on he driver side. I ran a wire into that area before by prying one of the rubber plugs over and pushing the wire through.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's the only way I saw, to run a wire via the fender. But maybe I am gonna drill a hole :x :x :x

Greetz Windmill

·
Registered
295 Posts
I noticed you are talking about a "john" who has instructions installing the powercable, wich link is that? :roll:

Greetz Windmill, the Netherlands

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
"John" is John Wayland who is one of the creators of the shoebox subwoofer along with Geoff Shepherd and a guy named Frank the Metal God whose last name I don't recall. John Wayland posted to this thread earlier. Check Page 1.

G

·
0 Posts
cakley said:
If I recall what I did was to run the wire from the 12v battery to the upper corner of the drivers side engine bay and feed the wire through the fender then into the cabin.

You can also look under the dash on he driver side. I ran a wire into that area before by prying one of the rubber plugs over and pushing the wire through.
There's a rubber boot under the dash on the passenger side where a wire pack goes from the cabin to the engine bay. I punched a hole in this rubber boot and fed my power cord through it. I believe this is the method recommended by Geoff and John. Then it is easy to feed the cable behind the carpet and under the door sill.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Better yet, it requires some time and effort, but if you are good instead of punching a hold in the rubber boot around the wires you can pull the side away just enough to feed the wire through. This is what I did, it probably took me 20 min just to feed it, but you avoid punching a hole through the seal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts