Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm on the verge of ordering getting an Insight, but wondering about a couple things. I know the insight is great under the right conditions (driving 50mph, etc), but what about:

1) Driving fast on the highway. For example, driving the speed limit (75mph) through North Dakota into a 25-mph headwind (not unusual) for an airspeed of 100mph.

2) City driving in the cold (-10 deg F) for short 10 minute trips.

In these cases I know I wouldn't be approaching the Insight's MPG capabilities, but I'm assuming any other car would similarly suffer under these conditions. Or does the Insight lose its advantage over cars in these conditions?

Thanks,
-- Paul

·
Registered
231 Posts
beopaul said:
Hey all,
I'm on the verge of ordering getting an Insight, but wondering about a couple things. I know the insight is great under the right conditions (driving 50mph, etc), but what about:

1) Driving fast on the highway. For example, driving the speed limit (75mph) through North Dakota into a 25-mph headwind (not unusual) for an airspeed of 100mph.

2) City driving in the cold (-10 deg F) for short 10 minute trips.

In these cases I know I wouldn't be approaching the Insight's MPG capabilities, but I'm assuming any other car would similarly suffer under these conditions. Or does the Insight lose its advantage over cars in these conditions?

Thanks,
-- Paul
Paul,

The Insight does pretty good under poor highway conditions. The worst highway mileage I ever got was 49. This was a CVT Insight, it was a 500 mile round trip, my speed was 70 - 75, it was raining, there was a headwind, there was a lot of side-to-side gusting, and I had a passenger. I think that's about the worst that you'll see for a roundtrip measurement on the highway.

Since the Insight has the lowest drag coeeficient of any production vehicle, I imagine driving faster hurts other cars more than the Insight. For example, my Nissan Murano gets 24 MPG when driving 65. However, it drops to 21 MPG while driving 75. That's a 12% drop in mileage. On the other hand my Insight gets 57 MPG while driving 65, and it gets about 53 MPG while driving 75. That's only a 7% drop.

Now, driving in the city while it's cold, and making 10 minute trips will definitely hurt your mileage. I'm guessing that you get between 42 MPG and 48 MPG (in a CVT once again).

However, this kind of driving really hurts other vehicles too. For example,
my Insight usually gets about 55 MPG for long trips around town. When I'm making a lot of short trips it usually drops to about 48 MPG. Thus, short trips seem to reduce my MPG by 13%.

In comparison, I had a Ford Explorer a couple of years back. It normally got 15.5 MPG around town. However, when I made a lot of short trips the mileage would drop down to 11 MPG. That's a 29% drop in MPG caused by short trips. Once again, the Insight seems to fair much better.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Paul -

A couple more points:

1.) If you run the a/c, you will take a significant hit in mileage. I find it costing me 10 - 15 mpg. All cars take a hit with air conditioning, but the compressor takes such a significant percentage of the Insight's power (as compared to a larger engine) and makes it much harder for Insight to go into lean burn mode which is where you get your best mileage. On the highway, driving a 5 speed at 75 mph in mountainous terrain with the a/c on, I've gotten 58 mpg. Driving at 55 mph in hilly terrain with no a/c, I've gotten 75 mpg. With the a/c in the second situation, I would guess the mileage would be around 65-70 mpg.

2.) Cold weather (below 40 or 45 deg F, I forget the exact number) makes it impossible for the Insight to go into lean burn mode unless you install on of the "warm air mods" that you can find described by searching this site. Therefore, the very cold weather alone will lower your mileage regardless of your driving style.

3.) As pointed out by the other posts, as with any car, stop and go driving will hurt your mileage.

Having said all that, the Insight is one of most aerodynamic, lightest cars on the road (it may be THE lightest and most aerodynamic) and with the small 1 L engine it should be the most fuel efficient under virtually all conditions. A few of the diesels may get close because the high compression allows the diesels to be more efficient.

HTH

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi beopaul and welcome to the forum :!:

By my read you've already got 3 GREAT replies. :D

ALthough 10 min trips in -10F will be an MPG *KILLER* in any vehicle. Personally (and I have no expereince to back this opinion up) I'd be surprised if you could get 35 MPG under those conditions. But as you noted I don't think there is any other car that could do any better.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
james said:
The Prius might possibly do better if you're doing a lot of short city trips.
Could be given its 100% EV mode. :)

So let's not forget the new Civic Hybrid with Honda's version of the mode. ;)

But I'd more than suspect that the cold temps as proposed will limit _any_ hybrids "electric" operation.

Just remember that with either in less "demanding" conditions the Insight _will_ be the MPG champion. :!: :D

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts