Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at selling both our cars and getting a new Prius and a 2nd hand Insight for a daily run-a-bout. Im in Australia, so the number sold are in the hundreds I think.

1. Can the Insight be upgrades with newer battery types? It seems like the car being Aluminium etc is worth the effort to keep going.

2. Is it possible to mount a child seat in the rear so you can get 2+1, Im sure I can't be the first person to think of this!

3. Is there any aftermarket improvements which can be installed? (links please).

Cheers,

Daniel.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum :!: :)

1. Not yet (AFAIK). However, progress is being made with the MIMA project (Manual IMA). See:

MIMA Performance and Observations
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3357

2. Doubt it. Simply not enough headroom. More specifically there's no place to securely anchor the base since you'd be sitting on top of the IMA case. Although an airbag cutoff switch is an _aftermarket_ or DIY possibility.

3. Broad question. Yes to generic cosmetic tweaks, wheels etc. No to improving MPG. No to specific Insight cosmetic tweaks. Too limited a production vehicle for comapnies to offer such things. E.g. the company manufacturing an armrest specifically designed for the Insight is out of business (closed, Husco engineering).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello Daniel,

We too did what you are considering and it turned out to be the best thing we've done with regards to automobiles / investements.

I don't know 'bout the rest of the questions, but I can tell you that; no, you cannot anchor a child seat in the back. Even if you could, it is unsafe.

My Insight is a work commuter while the wife drives the Prius with the child (soon to be another). On the weekends, I occassionally strap in the child seat on the passenger side and take my son to the store.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Daniel

It's a great idea - but more difficult to find an Insight in Australia than you think. I believe that only about 46 Insights were sold new in Australia. Look for all posts under my name (ghillie) and you'll find some (hopefully) useful information about Insights in Australia (there is a way of providing a link in this message but I don't know how to do it).

Currently, afaik there is only one Insight for sale in Australia and that is in Sydney. It's on the Carsguide website. The same site had one in Perth fairly recently but it is no longer advertised. I don't know if it sold - the asking price was (I think) $31,000 which is way over market.

I'm not saying you can't buy a used Insight in Australia (they're not sold new anymore) but it may not be easy. One option may be to look for a first generation Prius instead of the Insight. Or maybe some other very fuel efficient car (Honda Jazz, Smart ??). Of course none - including the 2nd generation Prius are as fuel efficient (or as much fun???) as an Insight (my current tank is at 3.2l/100km).

Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Daniel - There is a new posting for an Insight on the Carsquide website (private sellers). Very low kms at a reasonably good price. Only problem is it's in Queensland.

Ghillie

G

·
0 Posts
snaggs said:
2. Is it possible to mount a child seat in the rear so you can get 2+1, Im sure I can't be the first person to think of this!
There is no safe/sane way to install the childseat into anything other than the passenger seat. The vision of your child smacking its head on the hatchback window much less flying thru it should be enough to dispense of that idea. In addition... the child would most likely be blinded/baked as well from being under 'direct' sunlight.

A slightly sane/insane idea would be to bolt straps onto the floor of the passenger area and install a child seat there after removing the glovebox. Passenger would have no leg room, childseat would have to be pretty small and the child will eventually outgrow it. One good thing would be the passenger could have a lot of fun with the baby.

I have a SUV and a Insight. When its a parent and child we use the Insight... when its the whole family its the SUV. Do what we do or get 2 Civics or 1 Prius/1 Civic.

PS. You might have more availability getting an old Prius and a new Civic if you go that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts