Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the details of the suspension springs used on the Insight?

I'm looking to get some made that are 1" lower bur 25% upgraded.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
Don't have the specs for the springs, but I bet you could take one of the springs to a suspension/spring shop and they could put it on their spring machine gauge and tell you all the specs. ;)

HTH Willie

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
Springs

I have two spare pairs of standard Insight rear springs, I swapped mine for ones from a Daewoo Matiz to carry heavier loads in both our cars.
:)
You can have a set of standard Insight springs to play with if you want £20:00 inc cheapo postage to UK.

PM me if you want a pair. :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
Does anyone have the details of the suspension springs used on the Insight?

I'm looking to get some made that are 1" lower bur 25% upgraded.
Coil Spring Specialties, in Kansas somewhere, was sent (by me) a set of springs 6 years ago, and they returned the samples back to me. They have the specs on record, or at least they still should. They made me custom-made springs, and then someone else ordered from them several months later, and he didn't need to send another set, since he was told they had all the specs on record. We both asked for different levels of lowering and stiffness increases.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rear Springs - Use Chevy Aveo

I read many of the past posts regarding sagging rear springs because my 2003 Insight with 85K miles was bottoming pretty severely. The rear springs had lost their tension and I only had about 2 inches of travel in the rear suspension before they bottomed harshly. I tried some spring extenders from the local auto parts store, but they didn't work well. I saw several posts about daewoo cars that would work and did some internet searching and found that this car is the same as a Chevrolet Aveo which is sold in USA. I purchased rear springs for a 2004 Chevrolet/Geo Aveo from GMPARTSCHEAP.com for about $45.00 each. They were a little bit too long, so I cut 1 coil from the bottom of each spring and they work great!!!! They are a little bit stiffer, and the rear sits a little higher, but they ride exceptionally well. Very easy installation, just remove the lower shock bolt with the rear sitting on block stands, and the rear trailing arm will move down for easy removal and installation of the spring. Make sure you cut the same amount from each spring so that both sides ride at the same height. Could probably use the same technique for lowering. I have about 2000 miles since the mod and love it!![/img]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark, and thanks for your very Insightful tip. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts