Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have 2 Insights a red CVT and a Citrus manual.
In the UK we have a tarmac rally series for lightly modified 1000cc cars, for which the Insight is eligible.
I intend to prepare the Citrus car to compete in this series and will need to make the following mods to the car.
6 point steel roll cage
uprated front struts ideally with ajustable spring platforms to take 2.25" springs
uprated and ajustable rear dampers
free flow induction kit
freeflow exhaust
uprated brake pads and rear linings

I can have all this stuff made in the UK but if any of it is available elsewhere it could make economic sense. Any ideas.......

We have already attended a test day for this series and the Insight in standard form was nearly on the pace of fully preped cars, which tend to be things like Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris, VW Polo, and the odd hot original Mini. (older cars are allowed more mods)
I am sure we can make the Insight into a winning car as it has so many advantages in its concept.

We are also mounting a big press and PR campaign around this project, which has the full backing of the British Government Motorsport Unit, (theGMU)as it will be the first Eco-car or hybrid to compete in mainstream UK motorsport. The GMU has a remit to encourage and support energy efficient motorsport.

It will be a costly exercise and if anyone knows a company wanting loads of cost effective publicity with an environmental slant we would be happy to discuss a sponsorship/PR package that will include national press, national TV and radio coverage aimed at the general public as well as coverage in the motoring/motorsport press.

We have asked Honda UK for some support but as yet............

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow, sounds like a great project. I think you will be breaking new ground with most of the mods you need to do to the car, so please keep us posted. Many of us here in the U.S. engage in amateur level racing with our Insights, but I'm not aware of anyone who's doing what you propose. Do you have a website up for your project yet?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Awesome,
I'm looking forward to learning what you use to upgrade the suspension.

To save you some work, I have already looked into brake pads.
For light track use, autoslalom racing and street use I have ordered the Porterfield R4S because they are available for manual transmission Insights.
These pads should be ideal for performance rallies as well because they work well cold and hot. I have not received them but I will write about my impressions of them after I use them at a 2 day track school in mid April.
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html

I tried to get a dedicated track pad (racing only pad) but only William performance friction F1 pads and EBC yellows were an option but at $400 a set for the front I declined going that route.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Guillermo,

You will LOVE the R4S. I've had them on two different cars and they are extraordinary pads. Expensive, but worth every cent. I didn't know they made them for the Insight and that's great, I'll definitely use them next time I need a pad change. Do you know if they make shoes for the rear?

I recently put them on my 2-ton Mercedes diesel wagon and they made a HUGE difference in stopping power. As you said, they are perfect for a combo of street-track driving because they stop great cold and even better when hot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No website yet, but when the PR campaign and sponsor ship deals are done we will set one up.
I have done a deal with a big roll cage manufacturer to make a cage to FIA standards, and will then have a pattern to make replicas.
Interesting fact, that when we attended the test day, we took both cars and the CVT was quicker round the circuit than the manual car, because the box found the ideal ratio for every circumstance. On a short twisty circuit the 5 speeder never got past 3rd gear. We are not allowed to swap ratios so I am looking to find some 13" wheels for the front. ( I have to build the manual car for the rallies, as it has already seen some 'action' whereas the CVT is a valuable showroom car.)

For an exhaust I am thinking on the lines of a system for a circa 600cc sport bike ie something designed to flow for a 90-100bhp 3 cyl engine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you use the CVT car, then what's the point of changing wheel size? A 5%, say, reduction in tire diameter will just result in the CVT choosing a 5% lower (numerically) ratio.

On the other hand, if you use the 5 speed car, then perhaps a very substantial tire size change is warranted. For example, could you get them small enough so you could launch in 2nd? This would also lower the car quite a bit...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Skimmer said:
Guillermo,

You will LOVE the R4S. I've had them on two different cars and they are extraordinary pads. Expensive, but worth every cent. I didn't know they made them for the Insight and that's great, I'll definitely use them next time I need a pad change. Do you know if they make shoes for the rear?
I was told the R4S compound is available for the rear shoes as well :twisted:
But considering i'm using very sticky R-compound tires, increasing the brake bias to the front with R4S pads only on the front may be better.
Maintaining a near OEM brake bias by using R4S shoes in the rear as well may cause the rear brakes to lock up prematurely because of the larger weight transfer when braking caused by the tires...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you use the CVT car, then what's the point of changing wheel size? A 5%, say, reduction in tire diameter will just result in the CVT choosing a 5% lower (numerically) ratio.

Dougie,
If you notice from my previous post, we are using the manual car as it has been bought for the purpose.
The CVT car is a valuable mint showroom example and the budget won't allow us to spoil it for competition. If money was no object then we would not hesitate to use the CVT, but as is I think the manual car can be made competitive with a few subtle tweeks, despite its tall gearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts