Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted this story. We were waiting to get confirmation and it looks like the Insight will be available for the new model year.

Reports of Insight's Death Premature
May 22, 2003 - For the past year, there have been widespread rumors both online and off that the Insight would make its exit in 2003. Adding to the confusion, leading news publications (including the Los Angeles Times) have reported that the Insight would indeed end with Model Year 2003, leading many to believe that this was more than just a rumor (although senior Honda officials repeatedly told us there were no known plans to end production just yet). However, the 2004 model brochure available to Honda dealers includes the Insight. Although we were told there will be no major modifications to options and accessories, be prepared for some new color choices and stay tuned to InsightCentral.net for the latest developments.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For Honda to take the Insight into the 2004 model year unchanged is already a significant departure from Honda's normal 4 year model cycle, which would have normally meant either a redesign for 2004 or what many of us thought would be the case, the end of the line. Since the 2000 model year was the first for the Insight, 2004 will be its fifth year. That's why I'm surprised the Insight is still going to be offered for '04.

All that being said, I'm very happy Honda will be building them for another year. Maybe what they're trying to do is build enough of them to achieve an economy of scale to mitigate the "loss" that they report they take on every Insight they sell (build enough of them to allow parts orders in an amount that over time decreases the cost to produce). With the Civic Hybid being offered, and no doubt more Hybrids to come, I'd still bet the Insight's days are numbered.

·
Registered
190 Posts
benjamin said:
Just posted this story. We were waiting to get confirmation and it looks like the Insight will be available for the new model year.

Reports of Insight's Death Premature
...be prepared for some new color choices and stay tuned to InsightCentral.net for the latest developments.
They have offered the Quantum Grey Metallic and Grand Prix White (pictures at http://www.honda.co.jp/INSIGHT/color-variation/index.html) colors in Japan. Perhaps these colors will now be available here.

While I was at the Japanese site looking for the color options, I decided to look around a bit and see if there was anything else new. One item which popped up is located at http://www.honda.co.jp/parts/hop/tire/tekiou/insight.html. They show Goodyear tires for the Insight (including the Goodyear blimp!). The part number listed is 0S1GY-0043C4s. There is also an information page at http://www.honda.co.jp/parts/hop/tire/. I checked the Goodyear USA site and there is no mention of them being available here :( .

G

·
0 Posts

I need one more Insight with manual transmission and no A/C. Grey or White would be a nice color choice. I ve heard that the Insight will not be discontinued afterall.

'03 silver MT no A/C
brft drvr

·
Registered
20 Posts
now do I still buy a new 2003 or wait for 2004?

I plan to buy an Insight as soon as I get my inheritance $..I drove a red 5sp w/o air nearby and they still have it...maybe I should wait for a 2004 or maybe even better hope they dont sell the 2003 til the new ones come in and get a better deal...well at last Im happy Im not stuck by Honda stopping production zen

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
Might as well get this started now -- I just heard there will be no Insight in 2005!

:twisted:
Very true, but they bring it back in '08 as a fuel cell vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm really not surprised they're continuing production of the Insight. I mean, face it, it's like a driving advertisement. Think about it, if someone sees a Honda Civic Hybrid, unless they look really close, they won't even recognize it as anything other than "another Honda Civic". Meanwhile the Insight is very noticeable. It's the same reason that Toyota's 2004 Prius is getting its own unique look (a total Insight rip-off, might I add).

I think what Honda needs to do is release an Insight XL which seats 4 people but still gets the amazing Insight MPG. Honda Civics are great, if you don't mind driving a car that is identical to every 10th one on the road. ;) Not to mention, half of what makes the Insight great is its aluminum construction and extreme aerodynamics, which are missing from your standard steel Civic.

gomarlins3 said:
Tim Maddux said:
Might as well get this started now -- I just heard there will be no Insight in 2005!

:twisted:
Very true, but they bring it back in '08 as a fuel cell vehicle.
And discontinue it in '09, proclaiming fuel cell technology has "failed". :cry:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, how long did the CRX run for? THat'll be the life of the Insight.

Here is what I wish (and this isn't possible till Hybrid technology was formed):
UPGRADE! New ECM, new battery pack... a fee (say $1000) which takes into account them taking possession of your old battery pack. Something that basically not only extends the life of our battery (since it's being replaced) but also increases MPG.

Not likely, but I wish.

-Andy
'02 Insight #1433

·
Registered
804 Posts
ucffool said:
Well, how long did the CRX run for? THat'll be the life of the Insight.

-Andy
'02 Insight #1433
The CRX was in production for eight years, from 1984-1992. A major change was made in 1988 when fuel injection was added and the front end was redesigned so it did not hit the road as much.

If the Insight is in production for eight years, it will continue throught 2007.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
The CRX was in production for eight years, from 1984-1992. A major change was made in 1988 when fuel injection was added and the front end was redesigned so it did not hit the road as much.

If the Insight is in production for eight years, it will continue throught 2007.
Sorry, I gotta dispute that. CRX had 2 generations. They were based on 3rd gen (84-87) and 4th gen (88-92) Civics. 1st and 2nd gen CRXs are completely differnet cars, different engines, different suspensions, no shared sheet metal. The first FueI Injected CRX was the 85 Si model (I know, I own one.)

Another common misconception I have to shoot down is that honda likes to redesign a model every 3 years. Just look how often preludes were redesigned. (usually 4 to 5 years).

·
Registered
190 Posts
ucffool said:
Well, how long did the CRX run for? THat'll be the life of the Insight.'02 Insight #1433
I had a blue 1988 CRX HF that I owned for 13 years (it was replaced by my Insight). I really loved that CRX and would still have it except the years had taken their toll and with 169K on it, it was in need of major work (new tires, major rust work, timing belt, engine gasket). It finally made more sense to put that money into a new car (the Insight) then to continue maintaining it. I sold it for $700 cash.

G

·
0 Posts
no more Insights

I recently put in an internet request for an Insight with MT thru a local dealer. the response to day is that the Insight has been discontinued, and has not been produced for the past 45 days. I responded that I understood there would be a 2004 model. I'm interested to hear their response.

'03 silver MT
brft drvr

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting. Mine rolled off the assembly line May 15th (a good bit past 45 days ago) and reached port last week. Maybe they haven't started any new ones in the past 45 days? Certainly, they "produced" at least one of them on May 15th, which was much less than 45 days ago.

G

·
0 Posts
end of the line

My recent inquiry for a new Insight has yielded a reponse from the internet manager at the local Honda dealer that, according to his research this past week, 2003 will be the last model year. He apologized for the bad news.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts