Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend who got one of the Volkswagen New Beetles when they first came out. When we rode together, everybody gaped and waved. He loved being that center of attention.

When I got my Insight (as an anti-SUV political statement as much as for any other reason), I found that I, too, had lots of people stare and wave. Later, I discovered that owning an Insight implies that I become a tourguide for the technology. When I go places, I need to plan an extra 5 to 10 minutes once I'm at the destination for time spent describing the car to the next guy on the sidewalk.

When I pump gas, I answer questions about the car. When I go to a movie, I answer questions about the car. When I went to the dealer to order another Insight, I answered the salesman's questions about the car I was ordering from him.

So, is this common? Are the rest of you also tourguides for your cars?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tour guide...

It happens enough that there is even a section of this site where you can download information to print and hand out to people.

But a lot depends on where you live. I've had my Insight for going on 2 months and only one person has asked me more than a passing question. I attribute that to living in California.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
You bet I am!

This is something the main site refers to more charitably as ambassadorship:
http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/in ... sador.html

I love the little business cards with printed info on front and back and they've been a great help to me. Especially back in 2000 when the cars were very new and I would be driving the first one many people had seen. It doesn't happen nearly as often now.

EDIT - darn, Lee, you beat me to it :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can definitely identify with the needing extra time to explain the car, answer question, etc. for folks. I took my Insight to the 2001 United States Grand Prix and last year's Indy 500, both at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and on both occasions I spent a good deal of time talking to folks walking by about the car. In fact, I meant to print out a bunch of things from the Ambassadorship section to take to last year's 500 but didn't get it done before leaving. I should have though, it would have saved some miles on my voice, that's for sure! That's part of the fun of this car though. I was lucky enough to be included in Autoweek Magazine's Owner File on the Insight (01/01/01 Issue date), and one of the quotes that they printed from me was that "the car gets the attention of a Ferrari at less than 1/10th the price!" and that has proven to be very true.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i gave a demo of my car at a gas station last night. i pulled up and people were getting into their van, as soon as i stepped out of my car the guy was like 'so how many miles do you get to a gallon?' i had to tell them everything about the car. it was cool

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm kind of suprised that my car doesn't get more attention than it does to be honest. I guess there are enough around Phoenix that some people have an idea. I still do get the occasional guy asking me about it. Now, if you really want to drive people wild find someone else with an Insight of a different color than yours and take them both to a local car show. Two of different colors drives people nuts, as if they didn't know there was selection. I would recommend printing up a sheet of answers to faq's though, otherwise you'll end up answering non stop questions all night long. The funny part is it's usually women trying to get back at their gear head husbands who take the most interest in the cars. But agreed, it gets as much attention as a ferrari.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts