Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a touring and my infotainment system freezes, crashes and restarts anywhere from 2-9 times a week. More when I use Apple CarPlay but even without a phone connected. It's half baked software running on a cheap underpowered android device. My local dealers tell me there is no fix and it's a software update Honda hasn't created yet. I have the rear camera update but that didn't change the crashes at all. I have done "reset and erase all settings" many many times now....that does not help. It just works for another few days after I do that. Dealer says they can't fix it. They can only start replacing parts with remanufactured parts, not new. The tech guys at the dealers tell me this is prevalent on the 2018-2019 accords and 19 insights. It's crashed in many ways. Not just the same errors on screen or the same way it crashes, sometimes it comes back and sometimes not.

What a shame, it's a great car otherwise. The center speaker on mine sounds horrible as it is a 1 way speaker, FM radio sounds like garbage...the ANC system booming and droning when accelerating hard is annoying, the lack of lumbar support on the driver's seat sucks and the auto wipers could be better, but I digress..It's still fantastic

Anyone else had infotainment system problems?

Also, in Ohio in winter with my tires all set at 32/33 PSI, the car really only gets 36-38 MPG unless you shut off the heat completely, then 45 MPG. Just some data for you all.

Registered
I've got a touring and my infotainment system freezes, crashes and restarts anywhere from 2-9 times a week. More when I use Apple CarPlay but even without a phone connected. It's half baked software running on a cheap underpowered android device. My local dealers tell me there is no fix and it's a software update Honda hasn't created yet. I have the rear camera update but that didn't change the crashes at all. I have done "reset and erase all settings" many many times now....that does not help. It just works for another few days after I do that. Dealer says they can't fix it. They can only start replacing parts with remanufactured parts, not new. The tech guys at the dealers tell me this is prevalent on the 2018-2019 accords and 19 insights. It's crashed in many ways. Not just the same errors on screen or the same way it crashes, sometimes it comes back and sometimes not.

What a shame, it's a great car otherwise. The center speaker on mine sounds horrible as it is a 1 way speaker, FM radio sounds like garbage...the ANC system booming and droning when accelerating hard is annoying, the lack of lumbar support on the driver's seat sucks and the auto wipers could be better, but I digress..It's still fantastic

Anyone else had infotainment system problems?

Also, in Ohio in winter with my tires all set at 32/33 PSI, the car really only gets 36-38 MPG unless you shut off the heat completely, then 45 MPG. Just some data for you all.
Very honest points you make. The computer crashes are well known and unless someone hacks this system and fixes these things themselves we are definitely at the mercy of Honda. I'd like to think they are working on fixing these problems, especially since the same general system is in the Accord which puts out significantly more units than the Insight. I've had several crashes myself but, all for once, the system rebooted and was running within 20 seconds. Either way I still like the design of the new system over the old. Why they are still on Android 6 is beyond me.
The gas mileage you note is common for me to some extent. The cold is brutal and I'm not going without heat. Many of the people on these forums are what I like to think of as pro hybrid drivers. They know all the tricks to eeking out every mile from the car. I have a feeling you're more like me. You drive your car and that's it. The only thing I actively did was find a better route for gas mileage, otherwise I flip on the cruise and enjoy the ride. Have faith the mileage will get better in warm weather. Either that or become what I think they call a hypermiler and learn all the tricks and techniques to ACTIVELY get the best mileage the car can eek out. I'm too old for that so I'll just cruise along.馃榾
Other people have complained about the anc , but most of them are like me and have been working to add sub woofers and better sound system components. I personally haven't noticed a problem with it even when I installed a sub. Could you give me more specifics on what it's doing that's bothering you. I haven't noticed a thing. There is a you tube video someone recently put out on how to unplug the anc and while it's hard to see clearly since he's filming by himself with his phone, it looks like it's easy to disconnect. Check it out. He posted a link in another section of this forum in the 3rd gen Insight area.
The auto wipers suck. I'm sorry but they really are horrid. End of rant.
The center speaker is a disaster. It blares like a banshee in heat. I'm thinking when I upgrade the stereo I'll use an Audio Control unit to jump off the system amp and maybe combine the center channel into the left and right door channels. Either way the center sucks all around. I've made some videos on this car on you tube about my personal impressions on this car and how the controls work. They are very unprofessional, but feel free to check them out if you're looking for more opinions and info. The channel is verdier 400. Good luck and I hope some of these problems improve for you.

Registered
I almost have 4000 miles on my EX and have only really encountered one 'crash'. I took a video of it here:

I don't think I have a center speaker... must be a Touring addition? No auto wipers either.

And yeah, I've also noticed MPG drops a lot in colder weather, even if you don't really use the heater. When temps recently got back into the 60s and 70s I was getting in the mid 50s (or better) again. Now they have dropped again and MPG is down.

Registered
Patsum: I've owned two hybrids, now. A Prius C and, now, a first generation Insight. Do not be discouraged by the winter mileage. The cold, dense air, the snow and frozen slop adding weight and ruining airflow, the change in fuel chemistry, and the slower batteries all conspire to ruin the mpg. I am a careful driver and still lose about 20% in the cold. I did on the Pruis and I do on the Insight. If you've not driven the car in warmer weather I bet you'll find it a completely different, and better car.

Verdier: Unless you're into modifying your car (and I'm not) about 80% of the hypermiler stuff is gentle starts and stops, getting in the flow of the traffic, and letting the car do the rest. I use my cruise all the time and always keep up with the other cars and I get excellent mileage. And I'm an old guy, too.

It's heartening to see a community starting to build around the latest incarnation of the Insight. Keep up the good work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts