Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finially got my insight towed back from Texas by a company. I was doing a trip from east coast to Northern California. I pulled over in Texas because I notice on the freeway of slipping and grabbing. At the time when I pulled over it would still drive but very slow with a very noticeable slip and grab. I just had the tranny fluid changed at Honda before I left on the trip. To me it looked a little bit low so I added some fluid from Autozone (only place I could get fluid at that time). That didn't help the situation any. It doesn't make any kind of noises other than slips and grabs. So I parked it in Tx and flew back home. Yesterday the driver calls and he mentioned he didn't notice a problem when he drove it onto his car hauler twice. The car hauler was too long to get into my area so I met him about 1/2 mile or so away. When I drove the car away, I was up to 22 mph and very slight noticeable slip and grab. Very little. By the time I was 3/4 of the way home it started doing it much more noticeable at 15mph and by the time I was home it was back to the way it use to be when I parked it in Texas. I had another post and the final thought was that it sounded like a stripped flywheel.

I'd like to dig into it within the next couple days to start fixing it but my question is, would it still possibly be the flywheel if it was doing it less when it was dead cold? I would think it would do it the same cold or hot equally if it was a stripped flywheel. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I get that just wouldn't think it would expand enough to make that big of a difference. Anyone know if it would make noise a noise as it went around slipping and grabbing since it's metal to metal? Mine doesn't make any extra noise that I can hear. Guess the it's all coming out anyways. Just trying to double check that flywheel is my best option of looking at first. Sounds like I should replace that oring that causes the grease to leak out while I'm in there. Anyone recommend a better type of oring?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Flywheel splines are either stripped or they are not, can't imagine anything in between. Kind of like a u-joint in a driveshaft. Either it's broken and you don't move or its not broken and you do move.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
I've been wondering what happened with this one. The actual problem doesn't really matter at this point. The tranny has to come out regardless. This shouldn't be too hard. Once it's out you can check the flywheel and go from there.

Sam

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Yeah Sam, you are right. I'll start digging into it in the next few days. I'll let you know what I find with the flywheel. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Drain the tranny fluid. See if you get metal shavings or chunks.

Sam

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drained

I drained the fluid today and was clean with no metal. Started digging into it and might get the cvt out tomorrow or the next day.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
That's a good sign!

Sam

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tranny is out

CVT is out and looks to me the splines on the flywheels are screwed up. Looks like there's lots of spines left so surprised it's slipping so much. Anyone that has seen this...does it like it normally does. Any from your guy's expertise am I better off tossing a flywheel in and going or is there certain maintenance I should do now while the tranny is out? If the picture doesn't work in this response, I'll have to figure out how to post it.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Hard to tell from pictures. Does it spin on the transmission input shaft like the splines don't mesh? This is what a good one looks like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow without the grease in there. It spins and seems to mesh with the input shaft when it's on there. Remember it seemed to do this much more after it warmed up the last time I drove it. When it was cold it didn't slip and grab much or at least it wasn't very noticeable. What I notice a lot is little chips taken out of random splines. Looks like it's on both ends of the splines. Obviously that can't be good just trying to figure out if I need to dig into the tranny or stick to just the flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
1,518 Posts
Here is a picture that is stripped out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,518 Posts
Here is a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the pictures. Mine definitely don't look stripped except for the chunks missing. I really don't see how it would slip and grab with the amount of splines that are there. I'll try to take a better picture in the morning. If the flywheel isn't the culprit, what would be the next item to look at? Belt or Starter pack? Seems like those are the two items I commonly hear about going bad. Sure was hoping to not tear into it that far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flywheel is good

Here is a good one.
So no picture really needed for mine anymore. After cleaning the grease out with a toothbrush. The splines are fine. It was darker last night and with the light reflection where the grease was and wasn't looked like it was chipped but they are all fine.

So now that the flywheel is good. What would be the next culprit that would cause grab and slip symptoms?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good question

good question. Maybe someone else will chime in and agree? I was watching a video and looks like lots of the CVT's from various years and models are the same. Or at least look similar. I found this guys page here
http://hchdoctorstransmissionpage.yolasite.com/

It shows an 08 civic cvt and looks almost the same. Anyways I'm sure this has been answered before. But is there any other cvt that I can swap into this. If there isn't, if I found one of these other cvt's cheap enough, can I snag parts off of it such as the belt? I can't really find any new belt options.

Do these belts usually work or don't work or could mine start to wear out and that's what's slipping and grabbing. Definitely slips more and grabbed less when going up a hill if that helps.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone that knows they have the stripped flywheel problem and are near Scott in SoCal, I personally would go that route for the price and what you get in the end.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled pan

I pulled the pan off, it was clean inside. Anyone have any idea of causes slippage or more slip and grab symptoms. Can there be an outside source such an elctronic cvt controller, speed sensor or anything else?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts