Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm currently searching for a new vehicle and have narrowed down the choices to an Insight or a Civic HX coupe, and am looking for some opinions or advice. (the 1988 Ford Ranger I now drive just passed 260k miles and is making ominous noises from the transfer case and transmission, and I've decided that no more money will go to repairs. I plan to drive until it flies apart and send it to the scrapyard)

I like the Insight for a number of reasons: outstanding fuel efficiency, interesting and unique technology, and the fact that it is one of the least polluting vehicles available. On the other hand, my cheap Scottish side has a hard time reconciling the roughly $5,500 price differential between the MSRP of the two. Using the EPA estimates (obviously, your results will vary :lol: ) I figure that it would take me about 14 years to recover the cost difference for the Insight, assuming fuel costs of $2.30 per gallon and the average miles I drive each year.

Additionally, some of the accounts of battery pack failure and the associated costs that I've read in the forums here while researching the Insight make me a little nervous as well. The Civic HX, while not as efficent as the Insight, is no gas guzzler and is more capable of mundane tasks like carrying a couple of passengers and luggage.

I'd be most appreciative of any opinions or thoughts on which to choose. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
On the side of the Insight:

1) The Al body will last longer than your Ford did, and longer than the 14 years

2) Your "cheap Scottish side" will love driving it, because you can monitor your fuel use and learn tricks to get even better than the EPA estimates.

3) In addition to your personal $$ savings on fuel, you'll be sending a signal to Honda and other automakers that consumers care about efficiency, and you'll be avoiding all the other costs to society of gas use that don't show up in the price at the pump.

On the side of the HX:
1) You'll still be sending Honda a signal that consumers are choosing efficient vehicles.

2) It. too, will still last longer than your Ford, and even if the body rusts out sooner, you won't have the IMA battery to worry about replacing.

One other thought though: Next years Civic lineup looks like it might include some good efficiency improvements, so if you can wait until then...

Charlie

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Check into your local tax rebate/credit situation. In Colorado you get around $4k back, which makes the price look a LOT better.

Of course that also depresses the value of used hybrids...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"...my cheap Scottish side..."

Obvious solution: buy a used Insight :)

Seriously, you aren't going to save money buying any new car, even if it gets 1000 mpg. If that's your primary concern, buy a 10 year old Honda Civic and drive it for another 10.

But if you want to pay some money to drive a fun car... well, I think the Insight's good value for money in that department :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Dougie said:
Check into your local tax rebate/credit situation. In Colorado you get around $4k back, which makes the price look a LOT better.
$4k...what? In California I only got a lousy $2k tax deduction. But wait a minute, I thought is was a Federal deduction. So how is Colorado giving you more back?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Steve

I averaged 105.5mpg going to work this morning - that sort of economy is the real reason for buying the Insight. Thats twice the FE of most other small cars

Buy the Insight

Regards
John

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
In addition to the federal tax deduction, states may have their own incentives for energy-efficient cars. Colorado is particularly generous, giving a tax credit (not a deduction, this comes right off your taxes) that depends on what car you get. For example:

2005 Honda Insight (Manual 5-speed): Tax credit available $4,181

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/fyi/html/income09.html

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
My 2 cents: Buy a used, low mileage (<30,000) Insight now or wait for the new Civic IMA in 2006. Or do both. HTH!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also...

Check your local jurisdiction, but here Insights and Priuses are exempt from smog testing and smog fees. But not so the Civic, Accord or Escalade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your opinions....

I forgot that many hybrids are eligible for local and Federal tax incentives. I'll have to factor that into my calculations.

I've considered buying used (let the other guy take the depreciation hit) but I really don't mind buying new, since I will typically keep my vehicles for their full useful service life. I also like the fact that I know the complete service history of the vehicle, and whose fault it is if something is not maintained properly. :lol:

I'm fortunate that I'm in a position where I do not have to rush out and choose tomorrow. If the Ranger fails, I can fall back on my second vehicle, which I'm ashamed to say here is a 2001 F-250 4x4 with the 415 c.i.d. V10. (it actually only has 16k miles on it, because I only use it when I have a job that warrants a truck that size. Otherwise it sits)

Most likely, now that I've decided to remove the feeding tube from the Ranger, it will probably be stubborn and go for another two years.

I'll have to read more here about the battery pack failures. Is that normal for them to require replacement at the intervals that I've seen mentioned? That is a fairly costly item to have to replace - seems to me that ought to last as long as the gasoline engine.

Thanks again for the information.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Thanks for your opinions....

Steve L. said:
<snip>

Is that normal for them to require replacement at the intervals that I've seen mentioned? That is a fairly costly item to have to replace - seems to me that ought to last as long as the gasoline engine.

Thanks again for the information.
Sorry, even with NiMh batteries you simply can't _make_ them last the life of the car. (It's about now that clett is due to post a reply praising the merits of Li batteries <VBG>)

And is another reason to purchase new, so you get to recoup the fuel savings with the battery "consumption" that *IS* simply going to happen with _any_ type of rechargeable.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: Thanks for your opinions....

Steve L. said:
I'll have to read more here about the battery pack failures. Is that normal for them to require replacement at the intervals that I've seen mentioned? That is a fairly costly item to have to replace - seems to me that ought to last as long as the gasoline engine.
I don't think it's "normal" but it does happen. The number of people who have posted indicating that they needed to replace the battery is quite small in comparison to the total number of Insights represented here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts