Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... it's about time to replace my wiper blades, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on any particular ones that might be better in some way that "go to a parts store, find three that match the size, and get those."

I didn't really think this procedure would call for a question like this, but when I started looking for some wiper blades online (because I'm absurdly lazy), I noticed that there are (at least from "Denso") several kinds of blades with the same length - "high profile," "low profile," "Endurovision," and such (one place I found that sells them is http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/pa ... iper+Blade).

Also, as long as I'm asking, where are you supposed to find the wiper sizes anyhow? I looked through the owner's manual and didn't see anything specific (there's "how to change your wipers," but that doesn't list any sizes), and the spec list for the car here on insightcentral doesn't mention them. I can get out a measuring tape and check, of course, but it seems rather silly to have to do that when we have all of these online resources (also, see prior comment about laziness)...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use the manufacturer's website online to find out the sizes.
ANCO brand are pretty common, and soon I'll be installing their new HydroClear Wiper blade... I don't use my wiper much due to Rain-X, but these seem like they will hold out longer... get what you pay for sort of thing.

Anyway, For their hydroclear blade they list 99-16 REAR, 99-19 Passenger, and 99-21 driver side... kind of annoying to have 3 different sizes it seems, but oh well.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Here's what sizes I tried:

I also have RainX on all my glass in all my vehicles. Swear by the stuff.

I also wanted as large a swept area as possible, so early on in our ownership, I experimented with differently-sized arms and blades. I finally settled on the following sizes, which work very well and sweep a whole lot more windshield than the original wipers:

19" on passenger side.
24" on driver's side.
20" on rear window (but a 24" will fit, I just didn't have another 24" and never bothered to get one).

So you could go get a couple of 24" arms and blades, and a 19" arm and blade, and you're set. :lol:

Forgive my old synapses, but vapor lock seems to have set in. I can't remember the brand of wiper blades I bought, but they sweep well and do not chatter. I paid about $8 a shot for them, so they are probably middle-of-the-road as far as quality goes. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I replaced my front windscreen blades and arms today, after trying to clear the ice on the windscreen with the blades :oops: . I have bought some good quality Bosch arms & blades (from Halfords); I followed the listed specifications and got 18" for the passenger side and 20" for the driver's side. I treated myself to those with 'spoilers' which are supposed to stick to the windscreen better at high speeds / poor weather conditions. They look and work fine.

However after replacing those, I noticed that my rear windscreen wiper is also losing its rubber and will look to replace that as well. I remembered this topic and that someone had replaced their existing rear (16") arm & blade with a larger size. When I looked at my Insight I thought it would be reasonable to increase to 19", but Boogetyboogety quotes 24"??? :shock: . Surely that won't fit on the horizontal? Grateful for views.

·
Registered
59 Posts
24 on back window

I followed Boogetyboogety's advice and got the 24" on the back. It works fine. I got mine at Kragen Auto out here in Northern California. The area that gets wiped is much bigger now and allows me to see much better !

~SS7

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I use 19" blades all around that way I can rotate them.
Driver gets a fresh blade every 3-4 months.
passenger gets the ex-driver's wiper.
rear window gets the ex- passenger's wiper etc...
By then old rear wiper is trash.

Another benefit is that since i'm using a shorter wiper on the drivers side (compared to OEM) it provides more pressure to clear debris/dirt/bugs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Last night I replaced my blades with the Honda OEM replacements. They work just fine for me with the constant Seattle rain. I guess since my windshield is constantly wet, debris doesn't get the chance to stick and mess up the blades. I replace wiper blades every three years or so. At $3 a pop for the Honda OEMs I'm not gonna complain. :) This is the first time for me to do it on my Insight.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Guillermo said:
I use 19" blades all around that way I can rotate them.
Driver gets a fresh blade every 3-4 months.
passenger gets the ex-driver's wiper.
rear window gets the ex- passenger's wiper etc...
By then old rear wiper is trash.

Another benefit is that since i'm using a shorter wiper on the drivers side (compared to OEM) it provides more pressure to clear debris/dirt/bugs.
Very clever... :wink:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I replaced the back blade with a 24" also after looking at the tiny little area that was swept off with the OEM blade. Wondered if the motor could handle it, but no worries. The front OEMs work fine as replacements.

My old accord (still running) 325000 miles, was really sensitive to aftermarket blades so I always keep original equipment blades on my hondas, except the back window. They seem to feel better with them, :) .(Really, they wipe with no streaks.)

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Re: Here's what sizes I tried:

I'm curious how Honda decides what size blades to put on their wiper arms and am wondering if blade size is partially determined by the strength of the wipe arm motor?

-Bryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have RainX on all my glass in all my vehicles. Swear by the stuff.

I also wanted as large a swept area as possible, so early on in our ownership, I experimented with differently-sized arms and blades. I finally settled on the following sizes, which work very well and sweep a whole lot more windshield than the original wipers:

19" on passenger side.
24" on driver's side.
20" on rear window (but a 24" will fit, I just didn't have another 24" and never bothered to get one).

So you could go get a couple of 24" arms and blades, and a 19" arm and blade, and you're set. :lol:
Thank you very much for this tip. I bought the blade sizes that were installed by a tech and found that per the instructions (19" driver side, 22" passenger side) that the passenger side one was too wide. I surfed on here and reversed them and I am golden. Next time I will do what you did because the 16" called for on the back is a joke. Way smaller than it could be. I don't know why the small sizes are recommended.

I also picked up the RainX per a LOT of recommendations all over the place.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ah, well next time you should consider getting the PIAA Super Silicone wiper.

Step 1) Clean windshield
Step 2) Install wiper
Step 3) Run for 5 minutes (cant remember if you need to drive and cool it down)

After 5 minutes it will coat your windshield with
silicone and it's like a really long lasting Rain-X that
wont get taken off when you use your wipers. I plan
to throw on one my driver side here soon. They're a
bit more expensive, but I've bought one for the driver
side of every car my wife and I have owned for the past
5 years.

Just looked it up and it's $23 for the driver side wiper on Amazon.
You keep the arm and just replace the blade when it goes bad. If
you keep your car in a garage it should last a few years. If you keep
it in the sun and getting constantly covered in leaves it should last
about 1, but the blade replacements are about the cost of the average
wiper so it's a heavy fee to start, but after that it's just like any wiper fee.

·
Registered
850 Posts
That should work. The maximum length for rear that's been tested is 26" == 660mm. However you need to make sure it's low profile and fits under the wiper arm (I think rainx ones fit). Driver's side 550mm == 22" should fit no problem.

Costco has sale until Monday for good year ones for $5. But the 26" one was too high to be able to swing under the arm. Maybe 22" should fit even with the high profile.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Rock AUto has name brand (ANCO, Bosch, etc) $2.00 !

They had a huge sale (not sure if still on) but I ordered them for every vehicle I own!
Rain x has been something I use for 15+ yrs now.
Thanks foir the silicone tip as well. I'm going to look into that also.
By the way, if windows slow, a squirt of silicone (aerosol spray, NOT THE TUBE?CAULK TYPE;!! hehe will fix that as well.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Just looked more closely at my wipers, my drivers side wiper is smaller than my passenger.

I know I replaced both with honda wipers and must have matched the size when I pulled them off years ago. So I must have them reversed.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
Sounds like another "Loose Nut on the Steering Wheel mistake."

Years ago?, they are probably "smog" deterioated by now.

Willie

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Actually, my wiper arms were also wrong, so the driver side wiper arm was on the passenger side.

I only realized this after replacing the linkage and the wipers were not lining up properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts