Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get rid of my insight, and trying to see if anyone is interested in it, or has suggestions (especially about the lithium ion mods I did).

I've known I would need to get rid of it for a while since my wife and I recently had our first kid, and while I have heard it is legal to put a car seat in the front of a 2 seat car, it isn't something I plan to do. Additionally, my wife doesn't drive stick, so trading cars for the day isn't an option. I was going to hold out till the craziness of prices from the chip shortage died down a bit, but the last straw was the muffler falling off. It isn't too loud cause of the tiny engine, but the annoying thing is some of the exhaust comes up the rear vents so you can smell the exhaust while driving.

It has the following problems:
  • Muffler fell off as stated above. I looked at getting it fixed, and my mechanic said there were no OEM or aftermarket exhaust kits available he could find any when searching RockAuto, etc. So a universal muffler will need to be welded on and made to fit, etc.
  • Rebuilt title - It was rear-ended before I got it (more than 75k ago). You can kinda see the hatch isn't completely square, but other than that the back looks fine. I did have some water leak through the seal in a drive through car wash with high pressure stuff, but never had an issue with just rain.
  • Car needs new tires. The ones on there will get you home, but don't plan on doing any winter driving till they are replaced.
  • Check engine light is on for emissions. Could be the cat, or maybe the O2 sensors.
  • I never fixed the wet seatbelt thing. It doesn't really affect me because I am generally parking in covered places, but every once in a while I run an errand in the rain and am reminded that it is still there. Always meant to since it is easy to do, just never got around to it.
  • Paint isn't great. The previous owner put a different color silver on parts of the mirrors (which isn't too noticeable) but it dripped on the door some. There is also a spot on the front bumper that has the paint scrapped off. The previous owner put a screw in the top of the wheel skirts, which doesn't look great.
  • 2nd gear downshift grind. Has been doing this the last 75k, so I double clutch and blip the accellerator and it has been fine.
-Minor parts of the CHRG/ASST bars have some warping, but can be read fine.
- Lithium ion conversion (this is the big one, see below).

I took out the stock battery and put in half a C-Max Energi battery with a BMS fooler board. I planned to build an arduino based BMS intercepter and BMS, but never completed it. So I have just been manually monitoring the voltages periodically. I showed off the first attempt of my BMS board at Insight Fest a few years ago. I scrapped that and went to a completely different thing for my second attempt, which I got somewhat running a bit ago. I based it on the LTC6813, and so I needed 3 slave boards (42 cells total, up to 18 per board). I messed up two of them, but got one fabricated and running. It took me a while to get it running, but I could read the cell voltages from an arduino. I got distracted with other stuff, and when I got back to it, the one I had built had something like rust (I originally thought it was mold) on it. Part of me still wants to finish it, but I have way too many things to do and have to shut down some of my projects. And because of the things I mentioned above, this is one that is getting the ax.

The engine is solid (never burns any oil between changes) the interior isn't bad, and things like AC, heat, power steering, etc. work fine.

So the summary is that I have a partial lithium mod that works fine, but currently needs to be monitored by hand. I would be leary about selling it this way to someone I didn't know, and wasn't sure they knew what they were getting into. So I plan to remove it before selling it. Combining that with the other issues the car has, I think this is probably best sold as a parts insight? Any suggestions here appreciated.

I know it isn't worth much, but would hate to see it get scrapped since it has been a solid little car that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

·
Linsight Designer
2,587 Posts
Good luck on the sale.
A note to potential buyers: LiBCM will work with OP's lithium setup, assuming you can mechanically interface the C-Max cell voltages to it. This shouldn't be too hard, given that LiBCM's BMS taps are standard ribbon cables... so you just strip off each ribbon lead as you get to each cell.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A note to potential buyers: LiBCM will work with OP's lithium setup, assuming you can mechanically interface the C-Max cell voltages to it. This shouldn't be too hard, given that LiBCM's BMS taps are standard ribbon cables... so you just strip off each ribbon lead as you get to each cell.
Huh, that is what I get for not logging into Insight Central for over 2 years. Glad to hear you are back at it Mudder! I may have a few spare LTC6820's lying around if you are interested.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll take them. If you happen to have a reel on LTC6813s I'll take them, too.
Looks like I have 2 left, unless you want to unsolder 1 from a PCB. Ha, if I had LTC6813's I probably would have finished my project. Well, maybe the hardware, code would still be a mess.

PM me an address and I will gladly donate to the cause.

·
Linsight Designer
2,587 Posts
Ha, if I had LTC6813's I probably would have finished my project. Well, maybe the hardware, code would still be a mess.
You're welcome to use LiBCM's open source LTC6804 code... I've made it modular enough that it should work with the LTC6813... you'd just need to change the "CELLS_PER_IC" constant from 12 to 18, and change the parallel addressing SPI function (e.g. '-2' part) to serial SPI (e.g. '-1' part).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two things missing, pics and PRICE.
I can try and get pics tomorrow. I still need to by a replacement car (look at a gen1 Volt) so not in a hurry to sell.

What’s the asking price. Must be a start base.
That is a great question. If the exhaust is fixed, new tires added, and the battery questions taken care of, it would at least be usable for a commute car. If someone was serious about putting LiBCM in it, I would feel less worried about not taking the batteries out. That way monitoring is on them, and if they don't do it and mess something up it is their fault.

The half a C-max energi battery in it is 3.8kWh (though it may have degraded some). I saw grid charging mentioned with the LiBCM, so maybe it could act as a bit of a plug-in hybrid? Might need to pair it with an OBD2 C&C, but could increase the lean burn % for crazy mpg.

If someone were to want to use it to test the LiBCM I would give them preference. Does $1000 seem reasonable?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome to use LiBCM's open source LTC6804 code... I've made it modular enough that it should work with the LTC6813... you'd just need to change the "CELLS_PER_IC" constant from 12 to 18, and change the parallel addressing SPI function (e.g. '-2' part) to serial SPI (e.g. '-1' part).
I had the demo LTC code running on my master board (using an ESP32). It worked to query the cells, but seemed quite janky. If I was going to continue with this I would totally look at using your code. But I think I need to focus on shutting down some projects and not leave the door open for me to pick them back up in the future, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts