Honda Insight Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Thank you for the kind words.

As I said at the event, every single person that comes helps make the event that much better.

This community is a great one and I am happy to do my part to help sustain and grow it.

InsightFest 2018 had so many amazing moments. I could never list them all.

I was glad to see old friends and make new ones. I learned an amazing amount of information from the formal presentations as well as informal ones and side conversations. My head is still spinning with great memories.

I wanted to again thank KLR3CYL, RetepSnikrep, russellc and his wife Thuy, Sector 67, who all helped in many ways to make the event a huge success.

I hope the event inspires others to consider hosting an event of some sort in their region. It doesn't need to be large or super complex. Just put a stake in the ground and do something. We had less than 10 guys the first time.

I am always happy to share my "lesson-learned" and resources and support with anyone who is even-remotely interesting in exploring the idea of planning an event: forms, paypal setup, insurance, food planning, etc

Thanks to all for making this event possible. Appreciate all of the effort. Everyone was really great and I learned a lot about the car from some brilliant and inspirational people. Had a great time. Looking forward to next year!

Well done Eric and everyone who traveled and participated and even cooked in their hotel room for the rest of us!! My thought is that we should nail down next year's meeting asap. I wish I could host it but I can't.

Hello Insighters. I missed this year's fest but look forward to
The next one. I did make it to the Indiana fest several years back. My question would be where is the most southern point an insight fest has ever been done? And could a fest be done on the south side of our good old USA? Just a thought...

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Moon car, if you are willing to donate a bit of time and effort for the good of the community, it could be in Port Arthur, Texas.

I have helped plan and host the event for the last 5 years and would be happy to share the planning schedules etc with anyone else willing to take up the mantle.

All it takes is 1 person to take the initiative to get the ball rolling.
Others will follow and help support the endeavor.

Are you willing to step up, Moon Car?

+ 1 Eric.

Having organized events, there are 4 necessities:
1. a leader who is willing to make it happen,
2. a schedule which should be set well in advance,
3. a venue or place to have the event,
4. dependent on 3. the type of event it will be.

If you can get something going, you will find that there are probably other natural organizers in your midst who can help and who might make future events happen.

The biggest challenge, imo, is finding a venue. A meet and greet type of event is relatively easy in this regard and goes a long way toward building up a group who might take on more ambitious events later. Insight folks love events where they can get their cars onto a lift, and those type places are hard to find. We in the Mid-Atlantic have been fairly successful with Lincoln Technology, a tech school. (You need careful coordination, a strong waiver, and a strong safety brief.) You might be lucky enough to have an interested member who has a good garage with a lift, like someone who races or restores cars.

Just ideas formed out of experience. Hope it helps. Like Eric, I'd be happy to advise/help you if you decide to push it.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
And to be clear, it is not necessary to have a venue with a lift or ability to jack up vehicles.

There are plenty of Insight activities that don't involve jacking up a car or dumping fluids.

Let's name some... Dash button repair, lithium conversions, wet seatbelt repair, window button repair, hot air mod, trunk latch whirring, battery pack replacement, headlight polishing, battery bypass, mpg challenge course, eat and greet, general info sessions, etc, etc

Attendees need to have some understanding and forgiveness if the event isn't exactly perfect. That is just going to be reality. Especially when admission for most events is well under the norm for a weekend long car event.

I challenge anyone on this forum to considering hosting an event and to help support anyone who is willing to step up. It will help spread the task around, and help to make sure that no one gets burnt out.

No matter what events have looked like in the past you can make your event unique. Adding and subtracting elements at your own discrection. I can assure you that none of the previous planners have any ego in this. We'd like to see an annual (and other more local/regional) events continue.

As always, feel free to contact me directly if you have even a tiny interst is possiblly holding an event in you area.

Right!

Members should also think about the aging of the club. Some of the older organizing mainstays are backing away simply because of age. We have already lost the New England meet and there is some danger of losing the Mid-Atlantic Lincoln Tech day because of health problems. Older folks start encountering problems. We badly need some younger blood to step up.

Folks like meets, and meets are important for the loyalty and devotion of the larger "club" but they don't happen automatically:(

I certainly agree with Eric on the nature of meets. Folks like lifts, but they certainly aren't mandatory. A lot can and is done without lifts. Even a shady front lawn at someone's house, say with a cold cut make your own and drinks, is an enjoyable get together. State parks frequently have pavillons and grills. We did that a few times, though someone must do the cooking - not a desirable task. A campout with a road rally works. The possibilities are almost endless. Pass the hat to cover the costs and everyone is happy:)

That would be great to have one close but I was hoping for one maybe mid country. Maybe Oklahoma, Tennessee or even north Louisiana. It would be cool being somewhere near the middle. Getting past asking for a specific location, I would be interested in seeing on a map where the bulk of the club lives. I was able to participate in the fest in 2014 in Indiana. That was an incredible weekend with a bunch of energetic and knowledgeable people. I have unfortunately not been a vocal participant in the group. Could I assist in the next fest? I surely hope so. I have been MIA joining in the forum for too long and missed the recent fest. You guys do great putting on a show. Remember, the worst show ever is still great! How can you lose. Port Arthur is a dying town. Nothing here to see. If not for the oil industry, only thing left is fishing. I'm not sure the insight will float. I await the date and location for the next fest, wherever it will be, im possibly in for grunt level. You guys are the gold for fantastic shows. 3 insights strong here!

Even a "Three Guy" get together can be a fun day, or even evening. A couple of friends and I have done this in Albuquerque. You might get some people from Houston to join you. Or even farther. You never know. Some of us old farts think nothing of driving an Insight hundreds of miles. I once drove 600 miles to have lunch with Willie!

Give it a shot. Maybe a tech day at somebody's house removing a battery, polishing headlights, or something.

Sam

Hey bud

Can you rember selling a used mpg guino to a fellow on eco modder,,his build was 92 Honda Civic vx. He went by og vx,,well I bought his car from a a military post last month and am try to trouble shoot the mpg guino ,it worked fine first month but now it just shows a lighted up blank screen,I try unhooking battery to get it reset or come alive,,any clue how the system works and where I need to look to troubleshoot the connections,,pulled his switch on dash,it has 3 buttons,first one red followed by two black ones,,it use to show instant mpg,current mpg and some other things am still learning about,,any help would be great.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.