Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to drive from Connecticut to Maine today, so to amuse myself during the 4-hour haul in my Subaru I:

(a) Tried some of the mileage methods discussed here, to prepare myself for the happy day when my Insight arrives. Setting the cruise control at 65 and soft-footing gave me 25mpg (with a boat on top!) rather than my usual 23 (without boat). Also much less tiring than driving 75 and scanning for cops.

(b) Also tried to see how many Insights I could spot en route. Didn't see a single one until I got within 2 blocks of my motel, and then a red one scooted past. OTOH, when you really look at traffic it's amazing how many truly ugly car models are on the road!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also much less tiring than driving 75 and scanning for cops.
For me, this has been the greatest intangible benefit of Insight ownership. I bought the car for its efficiency, so I drive it accordingly, meaning that I am now perfectly content to cruise along in the right lane let everyone else fight it out. I find that the commute is alot less stressful now :D

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chris G said:
meaning that I am now perfectly content to cruise along in the right lane let everyone else fight it out. I find that the commute is alot less stressful now :D
ditto for me too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I definately love fast cars, so driving the insight has saved me a few speeding tickets I'm sure! and my dad has also stopped telling me "don't drive crazy" when we part, because he knows I'm glued to the FCD and won't get into any drag races. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I, too, have noticed a change in my driving habits - and I've only had the car for four days!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to bleed over into my other car. I got into the S2000 for a little spin yesterday afternoon and could not stop stomping on the gas. :cry:

Oh well - so I have a super practical and an impractical car. At least the S2000 still gets 25 mpg. Not too shabby, even for a non-hybrid, right? XD

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem with the motorcycle. It's a bit weird going 80-ish on the bike (and still getting 42mpg) and floating along at 65 in the car. Going fast on a bike is more productive than in a car because you can *ease* (I don't zig-zag) through traffic better than any car can, but it's a whole different mindset.

·
Registered
107 Posts
"... I am now perfectly content to cruise along in the right lane let everyone else fight it out. I find that the commute is alot less stressful now :D"

I absolutely agree with Chris and Fred, esp. since I find myself driving in the far right lane more often than not (either that, or I'm in the carpool lane!).

Also have to agree with Minako, but my "other" car is a '97 Miata, so not quite as quick as the S2000 but I find myself driving a lot more quickly through the twisties, plus I love shifting the Miata whereas my Insight is a CVT.

Best Regs,
Rick
2006 CVT

·
Registered
79 Posts
driving smarter

I've only had my Insight for a couple days and I think that I am going to become a "safer" driver. I am a very high strung and hyper person and I think focusing on being steady and gentle with the car is good for me....kind of like meditation. Plus, why have I been in such a hurry all these years? 8)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I took a little-old-lady friend of the family who is 91-years-old for an Insight drive a few weeks ago. She complained that I drove like an old man and wanted me to go faster! :shock: :?
You have to realize that until I got the Insight I was a life-long serious lead-footer. :evil:
I can't believe that the Insight driving style is now carrying over to the other cars. I even find myself turning off the engine at traffic lights as well as FASing :oops:
However, now that my lmpg is over 75, the Insight never disappoints with an occasional VTEC and four-red LED MIMA demo for a tailgater before returning back to 25mph on the hilly twisty 25mph-speed-limit road to my house (I DO pull over for most cars) - alas, this juvenile behavior means that I still haven't acquired the necessary self-discipline of our hypermilers. :roll: JoeS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts