I am sure he would never use a cellphone! The VW bus might be a tipoff to were this guy is coming from. When I got my first Prius it was all the buzz about EMF (pun intended)---I am sure they are there and can be measured---but I don't think they are going to kill you. BTW, the issue with the rotor is with the magnetic field produced by the rotor magnets---not EMF. If this guy took the rotor near his TV or computer he would see a neat light show that he hasn't seen since the '60's!
I've got to add this----look at the date of the original "concern". It was in March of 2001 with an update in 2004. I guess the guy is still alive--with his trifield monitor with him. (lucky he got rid of that pesky Insight) I did a google search on trifield monitors and this $149 device has got me worried about everything electrical. I am going to move into a cave, lined with cooper screening, grounded everywhere. Tear out all things electrical and resign from society. This might be my last post as the trifield will show this computer monitor is killing me faster then my Insight. WHAT TO DO!!!
This issue has been discuassed at length here. Ionising radiation, radioactivity, is globally destructive. High frequency radio waves due to their short wavelenght will cook anything that is moderately conductive. Magnetic fields have to be outrageously strong to have any measurable biological effect.
TV screens and monitors create ionising radiation, hopefully shielded by the leaded glass. Microwave ovens and cell phones create high frequency radio waves. The Insight motor produces a low frequency magnetic field.
I don't use a cell phone, I walk away from the microwave when it is on, and I'll be glad when I can replace my CRT monitor. I'm not the slightest bit concerned about the Insight.
I respect this persons right to his convictions, but note that if he is bright enough to interpret the results of his measurements and promote his theories to others, then he should have realised that large pemanent magnet electric motors do generate a magnetic field, and have done his testing before buying the car.
Regarding pacemakers, the last time I talked to my great uncle he told me that his pacemaker was recharged by sending an alternating magnetic field through his chest. Yes strong magnetic fields could stop a pacemaker. Honda doesn't want to get sued for neglecting to mention this.
Electric motors require an electromagnetic field (EMF) in order to operate. When voltage is applied to the stator of the motor, an EMF is created and acts on the magnetic rotor of the motor, causing the rotor to spin. The EMF produced by the stator of any motor can generate what is known as EMR or electromagnetic radiation. The trifield meter is used to measure the amount of this radiation. The amount of EMR present at any given time depends on several variables, such as the amount of voltage applied, the frequency used (whether variable or fixed), and any shielding used to help contain the EMR. The strength of the EMR is measured in "Gauss" units, also known as electromagnetic units of magnetic flux density. A German physicist named Karl F. Gauss discovered the presence of EMF's and EMR way back in the 1800's and the term "Gauss" has been used ever since as a measurement unit to determine the strengh of magnetic fields. Heck, I can remember way back when there was a loudspeaker company named Gauss. :lol: Awesome bass speakers with huge magnets. Anyhow, generally the higher the frequency and power of the EMF, the more easily the EMR can penetrate human tissue. High frequency radio waves from numerous sources pass through our bodies 24 hours a day. Not a good thing, but we've all been forced to live with it whether we like it or not. In the case of the IMA system in the Insight, we know that the IMA battery voltage is 144 volts DC that travels through all sorts of sophisticated electronic devices before reaching the stator windings of the electric motor. 144 volts is fairly high and the amount of EMR produced inside or around the car is bound to be enough to measure with a trifield meter. If I/we knew the frequency range of the electric motor drive, we could probably come close to determining the amount of EMR exposure by doing some simple math. EMR in the milligauss range is all around us and constantly passing through our bodies. The guy complaining in the article is probably just trying to eliminate what he feels is an unnecessary source of exposure. I can't blame him for that, but w/o conducting some tests of our own, we really don't know the true exposure potential, especially since Honda is unwilling to give us the measurements. Off the top of my head, I suspect that the exposure is minimal and considered to be within safe limits, but only thorough testing can prove this. If Toyota can sell the Prius with a whopping 500 or so volt DC battery pack, then the Insight is bound to emit less EMR than the Prius...... that is unless Toyota is doing something to shield the EMR or counteract the EMF that we don't know about. Heck, Honda may be doing the same thing. Hard to say w/o testing to be sure.
I wonder what the whiner in the article thinks of MRI scanners?? If he wants to whine about EMF's and EMR, he needs to take his trifield meter and go stand next to an MRI scanner. But that would just foul up his brain due to the intensity of the EMI (electromagnetic interference) 8)
I think there are a few things that posters here should understand.
1) Because other devices are potentially harmful does not make the Insight any more or less harmful. When somebody says something like, "How much emf is coming off of his montior," they pose an irrelevant question. If the emf is harmful from the Insight, then it is harmful, independant of exposure, or lack of, from other devices.
2) Just because someting does not currently pose a hazard, does not mean it is safe. I could smoke for 30 years with no problems and then die from it. The question of why there are not sick Insight drivers is not effective. Think blacklung, asbestos, Chernobly, UVA/UVB. Also, maybe there are sick Insight drivers, it would take some clever investigation to find a correlation.
3) The MRI question is also useless. How much time do you spend in MRI's? How much time do you spend in your Insight? As I mentioned in the 1st part, so what if an MRI gives off more EMF, does that change or have anything to do with the Insight's emf? Because Y is worse than Z in no way addresses the badness of Z.
I think investigation and knowledge, rather than useless comparsions and questions, might lead us to realizing this vehicle is less than heathy to drive, or maybe it will put our/my mind at ease. Sorry to be long.
It is difficult enough to prove something is deadly in small doses. It is impossible to prove it is not deadly.
Nikolai Tesla is considered the father of alternating current. He died at the age of 87. It is unlikely anyone since has been exposed to more EMF in the form of high voltages at relatively high frequencies.
The image shows Tesla sitting below a Tesla Coil in his Colorado Spring Laboratory. The coil created millions of volts of electricity with a frequency rate of 100,000 Hertz (cycles per second).
The conductive aluminum bodies of our Insights create a Faraday cage that effectively shields us from these frequencies.
Compare Tesla with Madame Currie who died of exposure to ionising radiation. Consider that combustion such as cigarette smoke exposes us to literally hundreds of proved carcinogens, and that Diesel fumes have been proved to create cancer.
It is my unprovable opinion that the stress caused by worrying about the magnetic field of an Insight will do you more damage than the magnetic field itself.
If you want to do an insightful experiment, take a coil of fine enamel wire and hook the ends to a pair of high impedance headphones. Wander around your home with the headphones on and listen to the sounds given off by the magnetic fields of your homes wiring. The fields are so strong that they can be heard distinctly without any amplification.
He's probably more interested in the long term effects of EMF exposure. But considering we are living longer than are bodies were actually designed to live for, everyone will die from some type of long term related exposure. I hear long term exposure to wearing polyester may be the new killer. I may be doomed because of my early 70's fashion sense.
IIRC the original findings were renounced since in compairson he did a test in a non hybrid car and found similar levels. EMF :?: No one knows for sure, but some swear by it (its killing them). But now...
LOL :!: :lol: Polyester poisoning :!: Are the first symptoms a loud plaid rash :?:
With that off topic note I'll give you, Resist, the last word. And the EMF subject has been repeatedly and extensively discussed in eariler threads (use the search function if you must).
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.