Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___I haven’t owned a Hatchback since my 85 Merkur XR4Ti and the 83 Chevy Chevette before that (we are going way back here ;)). With that, driving home in ambient temperatures of 41 - 43 degrees F on a rare but beautifully sunny day here near Chicago the other day, I didn’t need even a coat with the A/C controls completely shutdown. The only explanation is the heat load created by the volume of glass in comparison to the Insight’s interior volume and that hatch glass and wind screen staring directly into all of the sunlight … I can see why those in the desert Southwest, the California’s, and the far South East need a HQ and heat rejecting tint solution almost year around. For us more temperate spring/summer/fall climate folks, does anyone have a good recommendation as to tinting for heat rejection alone? I sure wish there was an adjustable solution as it is nice right now to simply drive without any A/C (vents or otherwise) while having a comfortable interior temperature of around 65 - 68 degrees F. I am a bit concerned when we finally reach 70 - 75 degrees F external on any given sunny day that even with max fan ventilation and no A/C, it will be far too little to be comfortable in any sense of the word? Econ A/C appears to be the only solution coming now :(

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:283ggrgm][email protected][/email:283ggrgm]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry for the offtopic:
"...85 Merkur XR4Ti..."
A cool car 8) Wonder how many are left, as the "Merkur" brand from Ford only sold cars from 85-87.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi No. 166:

___Yes, it was an interesting looking car for its day. Too bad it didn’t have the mileage of an Insight ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3buyncwg][email protected][/email:3buyncwg]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
75 with the AC on? Are you kidding me? I wait until it's at least 90 or so usually before breaking down and using the AC. Which may be a bit too hot really. One trick I've learned (I think windmill said it) if it's hot inside open a door and open the hatch for a few seconds and it will release a lot of hot air. In the mean time for summer I've got medium tint on all windows and limo on the little one in the back, makes for a cool look. And a car cover helps a ton too.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Rick said:
In the mean time for summer I've got medium tint on all windows and limo on the little one in the back...
This may be part of the reason you can wait until the external temperature rises to 90F before you need A/C in the car. I never felt the need for A/C in mild dry southern CA summers. Humid MA summers, on the other hand, were a different story.

For those who have tint, any problems with bubbling or delamination of the tinting from the glass?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
None here, entering summer #3 for the car too. Although the first owner/leasee had the tinting put on so I can't really say what is on it. If you look around you should find a place that offers a lifetime guarantee on the tint they apply.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rick:

___As Tim mentioned, 50 - 70% RH at 70 - 75 degrees F here near Chicago is probably similar to your own 15 - 20% RH at 90 degrees. Opening the hatch is an excellent tip but I am wondering what others do in higher humidity or higher temp locales like yours is in the June - September time frame? I would hate to resort to A/C at that low of temperature (75 degrees F) if I didn’t have to …

___Thanks again.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2azciwhr][email protected][/email:2azciwhr]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah I guess it would be different in the humidity. Personally I've got my windows tinted at said above, I've also got two itmes from covercraft. One is a custom fitted windshield cover. If it wasn't such an odd shape I could draw up a diagram so you could make your own. But it fits the whole windshield just perfectly. They claim this itself will lower the temp up to 40 degrees, though I doubt it would make as much of a difference for the humidity.

The other thing I have is one of their tan flannel custom made car covers. Not the best choice for summer outside use, but it will not scratch the paint. My summer parking routine consists of putting the sun screen in the windshield (also protects your dash from uv) and cracking the windows. Then I get out and remove my antenna and use my car duster on the car. This is important so you don't trap dust between the cover and the car because this will scratch it. Then I put the cover on and unroll it, and there's a whole method so it won't slip off the car. This for the most part helps with the heat issues, but it isn't 100%. I still get thermal cutback fairly often durring the summer. It's sad, but watch, in a few months once it heats up I'm not going to like my car as much because it's probably going to start giving me problems again.

I guess your results are going to varry with the humidity. The only way your going to lower that is to use the AC probably. I have been told that there is a product that is essentially a air conditioner that uses ice water as a coolant. You could put a 12 volt battery in the storage box in the back and have it run the pump and fan on one of these. You might have to come out and put fresh ice in it at lunch, but it's an idea perhaps. This is not an evap cooler, but I haven't really looked in to it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Mine is the 5th car in which I have had Llumar Platinum Plus 35% tint installed.

I love this tint (as if it weren't obvious). It is partially reflective, and with a windshield sun shade up, you cannot see inside the car at all (I like that for safety/anti-theft/etc).

I had it put on all the glass, except the windshield, of course, and it was only 160 buck here.

I have had no problems with this film in the past, and it is lifetime guaranteed, as most are now....

The reflective films require more attention and skill with installation since dirt and bubbles are more obvious than other types of tint. I have had various results in this respect, but the job done on the Insight is great.

Perhaps I will take some pics...I just washed it....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Holicow:

___I had to cut and paste the ftp site in to my browser and then click on the pics of your Tinted Insight in the directory … In any case, it looks very nice.

___For everyone else, go to ftp://ord.waxedfruit.com/holicow/ and click on the jpg’s numbered 21, 25, and 26. Then again, I am receiving Access Denied with an anonymous login now?

___I was searching around Tintdude.com for any reference to the Llumar Platinum Plus and saw just two posts about it … I picked up a link off of Google where an individual with an Acura TL owner had it installed. It had an opaque look in overcast conditions and a normal dark tint in the bright sunlight. Would you mind describing the look on your Insight in a similar overcast condition?

___Thanks again for the pics.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1qnrrrs2][email protected][/email:1qnrrrs2]

·
Registered
700 Posts
xcel, thanks for clueing me in about the links, they are fixed now. Brain cramp...

As far as how it looks in different lighting, I would have to say that it behaves opposite from how you describe.

In bright, more direct, sunlight, it is more reflective (see pics above). In less light, it looks more like regular tint, with a hint of reflection. The first 2 pics show this to a degree, and I did that on purpose. The first shows the look with a direct reflection. The second is more oblique and is less reflective.

Still, if the windshield is blocked, you CANNOT see in the car, no matter the light outside.

It does not look like the nasty (my mild opinion) mirror tint that you will see around.

Go to http://www.llumar.com and click the "dealer locator" button. I had to call a regional number to find an installer in my area since I had moved in the recent past.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Further research on my part revealed the maximum image sizes allowed, so here they are again:

with sunshade:

:p

and if they load slowly, it's the server for some reason, it's not the pics (they are only 42k)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts