Honda Insight Forum banner

Insights have no power

5K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Dgate 
#1 ·
A local honda mechanic told me that insights have little power. He has heard of people having to turn there ac off to get a good starting speed. Not for sure if i want to buy one or not.??????

#5 ·
If you read many posts in this forum, you will find that some Insight drivers do things that may appear abnormal such as only using the A/C when going downhill or turning off the A/C before stopping at a red light. They mostly do this to maximize fuel economy (to strive for the best they can do)...It is true that the A/C does take some slight acceration power away (nearly all cars do to some degree) but it is nothing that I would be concerned about. Even though this car has a small engine, it can still do 112 MPH and that is speed limited (I'm not saying you should drive that fast though). It will not have the 0-60 times of some newer cars. I think the MT is 10.8 seconds and the CVT is 11.2 seconds. Check out:
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html
While there are many cars that beat the Insight in acceleration, You will find several cars listed that over the past years where advertised as fast but end up in the same class as the Insight. In today's standards, the Insight would not be rated as a fast car but that is because a majority of the automobile industry targeted at the US put there efforts into acceleration speed and not better fuel economy and emmission levels.

The best answer is to test drive an Insight (either the MT or CVT) and see if you feel comfortable with it. You can search this forum and find manys topics that explain the detailed differences between the MT (manual transmission)and CVT (automatic transmission that changes ratios instead of gears). Besides the transmission, the main differences between them are fuel economy, emissions output and IMA battery management.

Both Insight models (MT and CVT) are cleverly designed and I won't say what one is best because each potential buyer may have a differenet interest in what they like in a car.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

#6 ·
From a removed multipost mojoe wrote as a follow up to this thread:

mojoe said:
Thanks for all the tips, I guess the mechanic here in the area doesn't see many Insights, making comments like the insights are slow. I'm not a speed demon just like to stay stady in traffic. Sorry to stir the pot, I'm still looking and interested in buying a insight. Another question, whats the ride like on the early insights, is it simi smooth or do you feel alot of bumps like an old sports car??? Thanks Joe

#7 ·
Compared to a CRX it feels like a Lexus, Compared to a Lexus it feels like a CRX. :D

The rear springs are soft. I'm about 165 and drive solo most of the time, and have no problem bottoming out. If I'm carrying an overweight passenger and a bunch of heavy tool boxes in the back, my high beams will be shining in the trees. ;) Two options discussed in the forum are spacer shims for the back springs and stiffer back springs.

The steering is responsive and the aluminum body is very rigid with a low moment of inertia. This makes for sporty handling. I figure this handling and a guardian angel (thank you), got me through a tight squeeze on two occasions. One occasion was with 3 deer and once was between an oncoming tractor-trailer truck around a corner, and a sheer stone cliff. However, for the same reason, the Insight will not tollerate distracted or dozing pilots.

#9 ·
to easily Summarize this - "Local mechanics are idiots". How likely are they to recommend something that they are not likely to work on? Consider the source. I use to ehar the same crap about Boxsters not being "Porshes" but not one person who said that EVER drove one themselves. Ignorance is bliss.

Comparisons:
I also own a BMW M3 and YES, that has more power but gets 27 MPG on the freeway and about 20 city.
My Honda ST1100 motorcycle is also faster than my Insight
I just sold a Honda CBR1100XX and that had 2 /12X the horsepower of my Insight and will outrun ANY factory car up to 120 mph, even the $1M Bugatti

Bottom line: If you want fast you'll pay for it. Everything is a compromise. I choose the drive the Insight for a few reasons: gas mileage (getting 60 easily), it's a Honda so cost of ownership is about as low as it gets, it is surprisingly comfy (I'm 6'3"), and fun to drive.

As for the comment about speed, he's dead wrong. This is more than adequate to enter any freeway and flies at 70+ mph anytime you want it to as long as you're willing to forgo gas efficiency

#13 ·
The power/acceleration thing also depends a lot on how you drive. The Insight is very high-geared: it doesn't accelerate very well at all in 5th, and isn't much better in 4th. On the other hand, it's quite happy being dropped into 3rd at freeway speeds. Going up Sunol and Altamont passes (in SF Bay area), I will generally be doing 70-80 in 3rd, and getting over 50 mpg.

At lights, I often find that I'm a dozen car lengths down the road before the cars in the other lanes are even into the intersection - and this is just my normal driving, not even close to full-throttle.

Bottom line is that the Insight has all the power it really needs, though for mountain driving it could use another gear or two between 2nd and 3rd. If you live in flatter country, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

#14 ·
b1shmu63 said:
Compared to a CRX it feels like a Lexus, Compared to a Lexus it feels like a CRX. :D
[\quote]

thats the best way to put it

i also agree about the handling...

personally i am very happy with the ride comfort, even w/ 40 psi in the tires...and its very light and "jumpy" on the steering, honestly almost too much, its tough to drive with just one hand...and you CANNOT space out, or you will go off the road easily...but i certainly dont mind if it means i can steer it easily

plus, it is very fast, considering the gas mileage...yes, the gas engine only has 70hp, but the electric motor is very powerful, and i have never had a problem with getting it up to highway speed on any normal sized entrance ramp

#16 ·
james said:
I do, but that's only because of the people ahead of me, who seem to think that you should get on the freeway, _then_ accelerate in the travel lane :-(
well, i wasn't taking that into consideration... :lol:

#17 ·
i overtook a Ferrari 430 a few weeks ago doing 109mph and the Insight will quite happily accelerate away from lots of cars if you drop into 3rd gear and floor it. The low speed acceleration is also very impressive when the electric motor is providing full assist.

#20 ·
Jack9994, that is shocking behaviour :shock: :) Presumably on the M6?

#21 ·
Hi Christian

My Insight is still going strong - I am up at 104k miles now with no problems - battery still hits 19 bars and i cant remember last time i had a re-cal. I am spending alot of time in Whitehaven - so go up and down the M6 alot. My Ferrari antics were on a dual carriageway not far from home. My mileage still doesnt drop below 55mpg even flogging it over Shap.

I bought a Mitsubishi Evo last year and I think my driving style has suffered - its scary fast.

Best Regards
John

#22 ·
I had a Subaru STi for a while and got rid of it after looking down one day and seeing 100 MPH on the speedometer--in rush-hour traffic! I was just driving to work thinking about something else and the speed crept up there...

Plus, the technology on the Insight is useful, while the technology on the super-rally cars is useless in regular driving...although I did get a lot of stares from the girls standing outside the high school I had to go past every morning, which probably didn't have anything to do with my elderly gentleman appearance! :lol:

#23 ·
heh heh

Dougie said:
I had a Subaru STi for a while and got rid of it after looking down one day and seeing 100 MPH on the speedometer
I had an STI too!
I miss drifting in the snow....sideways at 60....in complete control.

I had it for a while and got rid of it after looking down one day and seeing NO MONEY IN MY WALLET! :lol:

$7 in gas a day was killing me.

#24 ·
Bollocks, I say!
I don't know what is going on with this site.
Joe, I have a '01 Insight with 115,000 miles and it is a marvel.
If driven properly, you will be very pleased with the mileage you get with a 5 miles commute.
Driven correctly 50+mpg will be no problem.
What else will get you that kind of mileage and that much fun to boot?
Kelly

#25 ·
Kinsight I agree with you,it must be a boy thing all this speed talk, I mean we have all done it from time to time but to bragg about just shows Immaturity...like being back in high school.
The bottom line is the insight is quite capable in its performance and outstanding for its engine size but its fort'e is fuel efficiency and low emissions. No other car has the combination it provides period!
If you want out and out speed and acceleration from your ride at the expense of the other advantages buy something else.
If you want the most unusual efficient machine capable of not only keeping up with the traffic but leading it while using less gas and polluting less than all the others then give the Insight a try you won't be disappointed.
I liken the Insight driving experience to be the equivalent of piloting a glider compared to a 747.
DGate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.