Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sporty

Boy, does that look sporty! I also saw that article today. Bet that will be way over $30,000! What ever happened to making a hybrid for the average Joe out there with a low income, sort of like the old VW (Volkswagen means "car for the people", I think.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Not really a workable idea. Hybrids need new technology - batteries and such - and in the beginning those are going to be expensive, It's economy of scale: they can be made cheaply only if you make a lot of them, but nobody will make lots of them unless there's a market. So you introduce new technology at the high end to cover your costs while you're building the market that will allow those economies of scale.

·
Registered
702 Posts
the only reason the insight was relatively affordable was because honda was loosing money on everyone they sold

hybrids will continue to be expensive until more people buy em and more companies make more of em :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
That is obviously NOT the Insight's replacement. That is a sports car, the Insight is an economy commuting vehicle. Has Honda even said there will be a replacement for the Insight? Why would they even want to replace it when they barely sold any? If they replace it, the only logical car would be at least a 4 seater that gets 70 plus MPG, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Agreed that is not an Insight replacement. It's not aluminum and it obviously isn't an extreeeem mileage machine. Nevertheless, I would not be surprised if it gets close to the mileage of the Insight. Remember that the CRX held the record for mileage in it's day, in one of it's three models, (I seem to recall 63 MPG.), so yes it is a logical and worthy successor to the CRX, and perhaps a reasonable alternative to the Insight for those who actually need 4 seats.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Reading some information on the web it appears Honda is working on a sports model hybrid and a low price introductory Hybrid. Also, don't forget Honda is planning on bringing diesels to the States soon. The Civic diesel was recently tested here in the States which resulted in 60+ mpg.

The future looks promising.

·
Registered
566 Posts
According to that link, Honda plans to have the FCX fuel cell on sale in the US next year. Anyone going to the LA car show who would like to try to get some more information such as price, if it's going to be for sale everywhere, or just where there are hydrogen refueling stations nearby? They must be planning on selling home refueling stations with the car if it's going to be for sale all over the US.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
bfivelover said:
According to that link, Honda plans to have the FCX fuel cell on sale in the US next year. Anyone going to the LA car show who would like to try to get some more information such as price, if it's going to be for sale everywhere, or just where there are hydrogen refueling stations nearby? They must be planning on selling home refueling stations with the car if it's going to be for sale all over the US.
Actually, they are not selling them, just leasing them. And I'd imagine it would only be a few select markets as they are only going to lease around 100 of them:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/200 ... htm?csp=34

·
Registered
495 Posts
bfivelover said:
Actually, they are not selling them, just leasing them.
Makes one wonder, once they get that Fuel Cell technology down pat, as long as these Insight bodies can be expected to last, how practical will it be to replace a current but defective gas engine/electic motor power plant with a suitable fuel cell power plant? As we all now know, technology wise a lot can happen in a ten or fifteen year period.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Nevertheless, I would not be surprised if it gets close to the mileage of the Insight.
I would be surprised... larger vehicle ... more weight ... not as good aerodynamics .... etc...etc.... the only way that car would get Insight FE is if a hyper miler drove it and compared it to a non-hypermiler driving the Insight....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts