Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cold weather hitting chicago lately, I finally found some time to throw on a cheapy version of the warm air mod.

http://www.dennisjudd.com/archives/000655.html

Nothing fancy, but I'm hoping it will help...and if it doesn't well no harm no foul really. The original piping is all in place just sitting beneath.

(yes, i know this has been done already. i'm just posting my attempt for the heck of it. no such thing as to many pictures)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Drktprr:

___This isn’t another WAI mod; it is the same one that has been used for years.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2ltligd3][email protected][/email:2ltligd3]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didn't mean it was a different version of the warm air mod, just that it had been done again.

Figured more pics couldn't hurt, i know i like pictures when i'm doing stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Photos are always good. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey DR... great stuff.... I've been looking at a way to do the warm air thing cheaply and I think you've hit it... the other methods I've seen looked to bothersome to me...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
YAWAM?

[edit:
thread title was "YAWAM (yet another warm air mod)" looks like drktrpr didn't like by rhyme (edited his title) <g> Made me edit my post in explination too!
end edit]

Shazzam! <g>
[edit KABLAM! <VBG>]

Looks good. Got any IAT data?

What's your MPG improvement so far?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, no data or anything like that. I did notice about a 5mpg increase from my usual winter driving.

Usually I can't keep it over 50 in the winter around these temps, but I was able to get 54.2 coming back today from st. charles.

I know I could block the radiator a bit....but honestly, this is about as far as I want to go with having to do stuff. I should change the air filter though....

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Drktrpr:

___The pics are great but this is the exact mod I have been using since day 1 just a short 373 days ago ;-)

One Chance to make a Warm Air Intake …

___Insightful_Trekker, I gain ~ 20 degrees F on the IAT when measured in 32 degree F temps. Since that OBD-II measurement, I have moved the inlet hose to actually touching the CAT shroud with the WAI hose end hanging on the tab/bracket/Bolt/nut of the CAT shroud itself. Probably more like 25 – 28 degrees F increase in AIT’s now.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2n3kdowi][email protected][/email:2n3kdowi]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Insightful_Trekker:

___Yes, I remember. Didn’t you use a modded Ford F-150 truck exhaust piece for the WAI?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2ij9xqq3][email protected][/email:2ij9xqq3]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey "Drktrp" the preheater hose I used last month to make my WAI was the same brand and size you used (Mighty Flow 2" X 36"). I wasn't able to stretch it as far as you did so it ended up being about 1" short of the CAT. I guess I'll remove it and see if it can be stretched some more so as to touch the CAT. Like yourself I saw going under the battery box as the best route for this mod. Also the longer the longer route along the front of the engine would lose more heat. The winters here if you could even call them that are very short so in a couple of months I will probally uninstall this mod.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big D,
Yeah I had a hell of a time stretching that tube to 34", it's a real workout imo. I actuall pulled the tube back an inch yesterday just so there was no slim chance the heat could light the paper tube on fire (paranoid, I know).

When spring rolls around, I hope to be just able to swap the pipe's and leave the winter mod in there lying next to it.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Drktrpr:

___You can purchase (2) lengths of hose, mate them with a dual sided PVC plumbing adapter, and use (2) hose clamps on the adapter to finish off the length. I also used a hose clamp on the inlet of the intake and zip tied the hose in 3 spots while the new inlet is resting up against the CAT shroud at the tab.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2w1u6qc0][email protected][/email:2w1u6qc0]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
DR - it was absolutely clear that you were just posting your information and not saying you invented the idea. I hope you were not offended by all those inflamatory posts berating you for informing us of your going ahead with your version of the warm air mod. You should have been praised not criticized for your post.

Other members should try to be supportive here and not hurtful when people post information about what they have done. Please remember that everyone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, but just to be 100% truthful I edited my title from "YAWAM (yet another warm air mod)". Although I thought that was clear :D

Either way, I've gotten enough help here to not be in a position to complain :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If one were not quick to the trigger, one might joyfully interpret YAWAM as to mean that yet another warm air mod has been installed but not necessarily invented rather than ABNWAM which of course (it goes without saying) stands for A Brand New Warm Air Mod.

I might have taken offense at ABNWAM, but not at YAWAM. In fact, now that I think of it, ABNWAM could also mean just that you put the standard one newly installed in your Insight. Perhaps the only way to truly give offense would be to say ABNWAMIIANSB. Meaning, of course, A Brand New Warm Air Mod I Invented As Never Seen Before.

So to recap, YAWAM was fine. ABNWAM would likely have been fine. ABNWAMIIANSB would have been pushing it a bit too far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts