Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, discussing the differences between euro and us spec Insight's has given me ideas. So here's one, add side markers. I know I've seen it done on a few Insight's that have gone through eBay. They use side markers from a S2000. I'm toying with the idea of doing it myself. Has anyone out there done it? If so any suggestions?

I think I could get a set of the side markers fairly cheaply. A lot of the S2000 guys take off their amber side markers and get the japanese spec clear ones. And I have a friend who has a S2000 so it would be easy enough to get the cut out hole design exactly. I can also get the bulb holder from honda, they sell just it. Then adding a run of wire from the front turn signals would not be difficult at all. The concept of cutting a hole in the plastic kind of scares me though. Thoughts?

Sorry, this was supposed to be in Mods and Tech issues, can someone please move it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
:D I want em too. Once I find out how to wire them up correctly.

Do the jap spec insights markers flash with the turn signal?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they are just an extra turn signal basically. It would be nice for those lane changes durring rush hour. It would increase visibility I think. The other thought is spend big bucks on japanese fenders, but I think that would be overkill.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Cakley, the British service manual shows 3 turn signals connected in parallel per side. Unless they changed the wiring harness for North America, the wiring should be there.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the only things I can see going through the front fender wells are the wires for the ABS and the brake line. Perhaps one of our european spec owners could take a look at theirs for us. I got a better idea of how they mount on the S2000. There is a hole cut which is in the shape of a rectangle with the 4 corners left there is the best way to describe it. The marker is pushed forward and then can pop out. I think the way it mounts could require a bit of precision to get the mount just right. Alternately you could just make the back of the marker flat, drill a hole for wires and just use some molding tape to attach it, but I think that would be kind of tacky.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just came in a little while ago from pulling off my wheels and cleaning them front and back along with the fender wells. While I was there I unfastened and pulled back the plastic in the front fender wells on one side. Deffinitely no wires already there as suggested before, but thats all you have to do and you have complete access to the back of the fender. There are some wires going throug from the engine compartment which goes to the door. I think this can easily be used to run a few more wires for side markers.

So it seems doable for sure. I think the question now is does anyone have the balls to cut in to their fenders. I'm thinking about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.