Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install my Gen1 windshield and have been looking at the necessary parts (other than the actual rubber caulking and surface prep chemicals). These include:

(from https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/v-2004-honda-insight--dx-a-c--5-speed-manual/body-air-conditioning--front-windshield)

• The windshield (acquired)
  • Rubber molding along the top (73150-S3Y-003) - I have enough to reuse, but probably won't due to its age hardening
  • Black foam rubber strip which surrounds most of the windshield. Not sure if this is to reduce wind noise or hide the rubber caulking or provide a consistent gap between windshield and frame or to keep caulking from oozing onto the interior trim or all of the above. I believe this is called a "Rubber set, front windsheild dam" and is part number 04731-S3Y-000.
  • Rubber seal along the bottom of the windshield, called "Seal, Front Instrument" (77466-S3Y-000) - new one needed
  • Finally, there are two clips on the top, about 1 1/2" long, 1/2" wide, several inches in from each side, which are like hooked fasteners. Similar to heavy duty hooked fasteners you could find at Home Depot ("industrial-strength velcro", not actually hook-and-loop). I suspect these are used during manufacture to keep the windshield from shifting after the bead is laid and the windshield is set. One half attaches to the window sill - and the other half attaches to the glass. Part numbers - "fastener A" (attaches to windshield?) - 91568-SX0-003; "fastener B" (attaches to frame?) - 91569-SZ3-013
Acquisition of the upper and lower seal/molding seems inevitable. I'm interested in substitutes, since this is the recycle-mobile, actually. What might I use for the black foam rubber seal that's inboard of the caulked gasket? I would consider using rubber exercise mat material, but am unsure of its UV stability. And does anyone really install new clips, or do the window people just tape the window in place until the caulking sets?

I could also use some tips for the caulk and surface prep chemicals.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Just wanted to comment that the directions in the Service Manual seem helpful. If you don't have manual, download pages 20-26 through 20-28. Watching with interest.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just wanted to comment that the directions in the Service Manual seem helpful. If you don't have manual, download pages 20-26 through 20-28. Watching with interest.
Thank you for the tip! I'm not very clueful today. I spent the last half hour searching the site and PDFs for the pages in question, including the two big files full of PDFs. Would you mind directing me to where I can find the pages in question?

EDIT: found it: out of stock. http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=AHM&Model=INSI&Year=2003&Category=&class_2=AHM&mk=Honda&yr=2003&md=Insight&dt=&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=61S3Y07&itemtype=N

1 - 4 of 4 Posts