Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Pioneer DEH-P650 XM-ready head unit along with a Pioneer GEX-P900XM XM receiver and an XM antenna.

The XM receiver should not be visible and does not need to be accessible. It's dimensions are approximately:

8 1/2" x 5 3/4" x 1"

I'd like some suggestions as to where I could mount it. Under the passenger seat and to the right of the tool box wouldn't work as that's where the amp and shoebox sub I'm going to buy will eventually go.

There are several types of XM antennas available, and I don't know which is best. I've heard of some people mounting them inside the car (under the glass) and imagine I could find one that would look okay on the dash, if it would work good. But I have a feeling it will have to go to the side of and slightly behind the existing radio antenna.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either install?

·
Registered
652 Posts
XM

I have the Sony gear and mounted the antenna just forward of the regular antenna. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick...

Thanks for the response, Rick.

How did you run the wire to the XM antenna if you mounted it so far from the hatch? Don't they come with a wire cover/channel that won't reach that far?

Also, which Sony do you have (does it have a good display?) and how many characters of the title, etc. does it display?

The Pioneer I'm looking at only displays 8 characters, but the display is bright and easy to read.

·
Registered
652 Posts
XM

The antenna wire runs up the "A" pillar and then under the headliner. I did drill a hole in the roof which I sealed with silicone and then used the rubber triangle cover on the topside that comes with the antenna. I can send you a picture if you send me your e-mail address. I have been using XM for a little over a year. I like the variety and the nofade characteristics for long distance driving. You can also get instant news from any of the many news channels and weather from the weather channel which is nice when it starts to snow. Its OK in the Insight with the road noise etc but it is compressed like a MP3 file so don't expect CD or analog quality. Initially I got it for the car and enjoyed it enough that I thought I would get one for the home. Spent the time running an antenna to the roof but just don't like the sound quality in a quiet home setting. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
In regards to the Pioneer I like the OEL display also. I went with Sony since my other equipment is Sony (changer/head unit). I am using the Plug and Play. They provide either 16 or 20 characters of text in two lines. You can display song/artist or station/channel or time/date? I usually keep it on the song/artist setting. The second generation units have a better display with the white backlighting but neither compares to the Pioneer. (They have poor wide angle viewing characteristics).
I have read that OEL displays fade with time. Don't know how much or how long it takes but I have not heard anyone complaining so perhaps its measured in 10's of years. XM definitely transmits more than 8 characters so sooner or later Pioneer will take advantage of it.
Anyway the variety is great. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick...

Thanks for the information.

What is Plug and Play?

You see, in addition to the Pioneer, I'm also looking at the new Sony CDX-M800:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-6qJJAsjhBiU/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=158CDXM800&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I'd have to use the Sony XT-XM1 receiver with it:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-6qJJAsjhBiU/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=79900&I=158XTXM1&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

If you look at the second paragraph on the the XT-XM1 page, it says:

If you already own a 2000-and up Sony receiver with MiniDisc changer controls (except the CDX-CA400 and WX-4500X), it will control the XT-XM1; if you're shopping for a compatible receiver, you'll find a wide selection of Sony receivers with XM controls here. Your Sony receiver will display station, artist, or track info (8 characters, no scrolling); you can store up to 20 XM presets on your receiver.
This seems to say that I would only get 8 characters with the Sony. Do you know something different is true? What do you have?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Plug and Play

The plug and play is not the correct term but here is a link. This is the 1st gen model (most don't like the display) at 119 and I believe sony has a 75 rebate until 31 march.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-eN ... 158XM01C++

Anyway I got this one because it has a 20 character display with 2 lines. You can plug this into a XA-300 accessory controller which links to the head unit via the unilink cable. I have a C680 head unit from late 99 that I like. The XA-300 has a pass through for your CD changer, a USB port for hooking up a MP3 player, and either 1 or 2 auxillary inputs. The plug and play has a stereo minijack which I plug into the XA-300. Note the head unit does not display or control the tuner. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just added a Kenwwod KDC-422 http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/produ ... uctId=2490
with Sirius radio and I threw in some rear speakers, the much acclaimed Eclipse 8263.

I was really apprehensive about where to put the antenna, but I ended up putting in directly behind the exhisting antenna on the glass of the hatch. i think it looks good and no drilling was needed. I put the tuner in the CD changer space. The unit looks pretty good (fit like a glove) and sounds much better. I can email pictures if anyone is interested. My only complaint is that I have sensory overload now. I mean between the flashing display and the choices of stations or CD, it is making it hard for me to pay as close attention to my mileage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to see pictures...

I'd like to see some pictures of your installation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts