Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Insighters:

I have been contemplating on taking on the challenge (to me anyway) on replacing the spark plugs on the insight wiTh new ones. I work well with pictures and step by step instructions. I have searched the forums and have not exactly found what I have been looking for.

If anyone has the above information with pictures or can point me to a website or link specific to our cars .... I would greatly appreciate it (as well as any tips you may have)

Thanks!:)

·
7,259 Posts
Changing the plugs is probably one of the easiest things you can do; probably why there isn't a writeup on it.

Just dive right in, you aren't going to hurt anything. Just be clean and don't drop anything into the combustion chambers while the plugs are out. I recommend doing one at a time.

Make sure the plugs are gapped properly, use anti-sieze on the threads and invest in a torque wrench so you can properly re-install them without having to guess.

Oh, and be sure to get the proper plugs for your specific engine. There will be a letter stamp next to each cylinder on the cylinder head. You need to get plugs with the same letters on them.

·
7,259 Posts
Ah duh, didn't even think of that. Yes, use the FSM - it will have pictures and stuff that will help you along. Really though, it's an easy task. Only slightly more technically involved than changing your oil or air filter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks everyone!

I found what I was looking for on the "Insight Resource Manual" on page 23. I've never done this before but I am going to look on youtube foor a few Honda spark plug replacement vids just for a prep before I take a look at mine. I've changed air filters before. If this is just a bit more technically involved then I'll look toward this weekend to get this project started :)

·
7,259 Posts
I need to check/change the plugs in Insight #2 and also do a compression test.

I guess I could try and take some pictures and do a writeup. I'm terrible at remembering to do stuff like that though, I tend to just dive right in without having much of a plan, lol.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Insightlight - Make sure that you purchase the right plugs for your car. On most any other car there is but one plug to get, the Insight requires a plug matched to the head, and the proper "letter" is located on the back of the head... don't rely on buying what you might pull out as being correct, rely on what the head tells you to put in. If you need more info do a search and you'll find a ton of stuff regarding where the mark is on the head if you cannot find it.

Other than that make sure you torque the new plug properly.

This maintenance is extremely easy so not to worry.

Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 2 questions:

1) What brand of plug has the A-D letter on them (and is the best brand to get)?

2) If you can find the A-D letter by one of the cylinders - is it guaranteed that it is the same letter across all three plugs?

·
7,259 Posts
No, they can be different for each cylinder, though they are usually the same across the head. You must look to be sure.

The plug brand is NGK, but AFAIK you can't get them anywhere but Honda? I guess it wouldn't hurt to look. The part number is ILZFR5A11 and you'll have to specify the stamp letter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, they can be different for each cylinder, though they are usually the same across the head. You must look to be sure.

The plug brand is NGK, but AFAIK you can't get them anywhere but Honda? I guess it wouldn't hurt to look. The part number is ILZFR5A11 and you'll have to specify the stamp letter.

Thanks, Eli. I had to call no less than FOUR different dealers to reach one that had ANY clue......DAMNIT I hate dealerships. aweofe;

/rant

Yeah, the true OEM is an NGK and is part number ILZFR5A11 (just as you said). Hopefully I can clearly find all my letter stamps on the block tomorrow when I have time to look. I know this topic has been discussed past beating the dead horse. I plan to make it up to all by doing a video instruction on changing them.

edit:

I found that user 02Insight posted here http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/176177-post2.html that the part numbers
12290-PHM-A01 A
12291-PHM-A01 B
12292-PHM-A01 C
12293-PHM-A01 D

will work. Any comment from anyone there? Are they just as good as the OEMs?

·
7,259 Posts
Ack.. what happened to my post?! :( Retyping...

Those are just the Honda part numbers for the ILZFR5A11's. To avoid confusing the easily confused dealerships, it's probably better to use those numbers. ;)

What I wasn't sure about is if the ILZFR5A11's were available without the stamp or not, ie: if they're Insight specific or not.

If you can only order letter stamped versions, you may be able to get them at any auto part store? I am not sure. I'd just order the correct Honda part number from G1parts.com and call it good. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ack.. what happened to my post?! :( Retyping...

Those are just the Honda part numbers for the ILZFR5A11's. To avoid confusing the easily confused dealerships, it's probably better to use those numbers. ;)

What I wasn't sure about is if the ILZFR5A11's were available without the stamp or not, ie: if they're Insight specific or not.

If you can only order letter stamped versions, you may be able to get them at any auto part store? I am not sure. I'd just order the correct Honda part number from G1parts.com and call it good. :)
So basically ILZFR5A11 is the same exact plug as the 12290-PHM-A01?

The dealer I spoke to only knew the ILZFR5A11 numbers (which he said had A-D designations).

So ordering the 12290-PHM-A01 A-D from g1parts.com would be the same thing as what I get from the dealer? They're $14 on the website vs. $34 from the dealer!

...just want to make sure I'm throwing the right plugs in this bad boy.

·
7,259 Posts
Each letter has a different Honda part number.

12290-PHM-A01 = A
12291-PHM-A01 = B
12292-PHM-A01 = C
12293-PHM-A01 = D

Reactions: evilchargerfan

·
Registered
354 Posts
So basically ILZFR5A11 is the same exact plug as the 12290-PHM-A01?

The dealer I spoke to only knew the ILZFR5A11 numbers (which he said had A-D designations).

So ordering the 12290-PHM-A01 A-D from g1parts.com would be the same thing as what I get from the dealer? They're $14 on the website vs. $34 from the dealer!

...just want to make sure I'm throwing the right plugs in this bad boy.
g1parts.com is a Honda dealer. Sterling-McCall Honda, I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts