Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a step-by-step how to (with photos and all) on how to remove and replace the individual battery sticks in the battery module? I did several searches and most of the info are on how to remove the battery module itself?

I think I may be able to figure it out on my own, but was hoping there's some info to check against so I don't accidently fry something.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Send me your actual email and I can send you a document that has everything in it. All the links with pictures used to be on Hybrid Battery Repair which is where I got all the information, I don't see it on his site anymore but I just checked and all the links in my document still work.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
can you maybe upload it to some host, (google docs maybe?) and provide the link here. There seems to be a lot of useful information, but it is scattered about.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Many thanks for those pictures and comments - they are very helpful.

A few questions:
What is the difference between the PTC strips (seem to be on every stick) and the temperature probes (of which, I think, there are four)?

Did you insulate your sockets when removing the bolts?

What other safety measures do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Here is a
Link
For a short 7m29s low resolution video I did of taking apart a gen1 civic battery pack ... very similar to the gen1 Insight ... Insight has 4 temperature probes instead of 3 , and the spacing is a bit different , but concepts are the same to the Gen1 Insight.

Voltage can kill you.

The 4 sticks with temperature probes mean you'll want to pull them out on that side of the pack ... which is the left side from the back , when it's in the car ... the side facing toward the MDM... unless you are cutting those wires and replacing them ( then it wouldn't matter )... but I would recommend transferring the sensors , not cutting them.

The PTC strips connect in series ... ie one combined temperature signal for all 120 cells of the battery pack ... the 4 temperature probes give a temperature signal for 4 specific individual cells.

The PTC allows the BCM to monitor significant temperature changes across all 120 cells as one unit , without Panasonic having had to put a more complicated system that would monitor each one individually... combined with 4 specific individual cell temperature probes ... it was cheaper and less complicated than a temperature probe to read each 120 cell individually... Panasonic figured 'good enough' ... later model years lowered 'good enough' even further with fewer battery pack temperature sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
....Did you insulate your sockets when removing the bolts?
I put duct tape on the wrench handle that was used to loosen the 10mm screws. Also had Boss rubber coated gloves on.

Was very careful with any object touching the high voltage. The highest voltage on the pack at the time was 90 VDC, because the main breaker was in the OFF position.

Just have to really pay attention to what is happening. No interruptions.

Jim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its too bad i dont have near the equipment to test the sticks like that. At this point i guess i would be inclined to just replace all the sticks. I didnt think of youtube, I am going to search on there for the stick replacement procedure

1 - 20 of 21 Posts