Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to get a used Honda Hybrid soon and had questions about them.

First, I am not sure if I should be focusing on the Civic or the Insight. I think that the Civic is better for my needs, but I'd like to learn more about the differences in technology. Is it true that the insight can only carry 360 lbs total? What will happen if this is exceeded?

Is this just an insight forum or do you guys have many civic owners here too? I couldn't find any civic hybrid forum on the web. Are there any?

Also, where can I find used ones from the 1st owner? Most of the ebay ones are dealer cars and I didn't see any sale section on this forum. Any ideas or help? I prefer to find one on a forum so I can buy from an owner who had an active interest in the car!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The two cars are different:

Insight:
Made of aluminium and has 2 seats

Civic:
Made of steel (like all other cars) and can seat 4 or 5 people

So the number of persons needed to be in at once will make your choice: If you have a spouse and kids, the Insight could only be a second car.

The load capacity is really for Honda to keep there MPG sticker. But the rear coil spring are small and a larger load will bring the back of the car down. My wife and I weigh about the max load total. But we carry other stuff too.

My suspension was slitly modified (up by one inch) and I now carry a rear hitch bike rack. So I am not exactly the "norm"

There is a Honda Hybrid forum at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/honda-hybrid
which is for bothe the Civic and the Insight

To buy a car and if you are Canadian, there is the http://www.auto123.com web site. But only one is listed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got mine on ebay

Hi there hondafan,

I was a little reluctant to purchase my Insight off ebay. But my sister had great luck with it a couple of years ago, so I tried it.

I am so glad I did because I have my cool blue 2001 Insight (picture at link below at the Outer Banks, NC).

I had a wonderful experience with Mickey's Auto Wholesaler in Richmond, VA (I had to travel 8 hours to go get it). He was very honest and cared very much to make me happy about my purchase. I bought from him because he had plenty of great positive feedback. And it sure showed in the customer service. He even gave me some money back for new tires! I would stay away from folks selling that have 0 or negative feedback, especially coming from a dealer.

Hope you get you a nice Insight!javascript:emoticon(':D')

http://homepage.mac.com/jenpetosa/PhotoAlbum6.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
For buying and selling used cars, I really love http://www.craigslist.org. The main craigslist page covers the Bay Area, where Craig started the list, which is a hotbed of hybrids (there are currently 3 Insights listed for sale in the "cars+trucks" section)... But there are other craigslists for cities that may be nearer you, and someone there might be selling a Honda hybrid, too.

The 2004 Insights claim to be able to carry 400 lbs, for the record. I haven't heard of trouble from overfilling an Insight with stuff, but that could be because people don't do it.

The aluminum body of the Insight is nice because dings from gravel will never rust; also, it's so small that it's far easier to park in the city. However, it's small inside, so that to do the Han Solo "arms crossed behind my head" thing I have to roll down the driver's side window. So I guess it kinda depends on whether you have that tic... :wink:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Madeline said:
... However, it's small inside, so that to do the Han Solo "arms crossed behind my head" thing I have to roll down the driver's side window. So I guess it kinda depends on whether you have that tic... :wink:
That's a pretty complex tic you got there, especially including the window part. :D

Along the same line, I find that I often contact the roof with my head where it curves down severely to the side window. I know the design was for aero, but a little less curve there would have been fine. No biggie, though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
However, it's small inside, so that to do the Han Solo "arms crossed behind my head" thing I have to roll down the driver's side window.
Don't you mean Chewbacca. :wink: (He's 6'5" and super hairey)

BTW, there is a brand new CVT 2003 for sale on eBay at a dealership in NJ. It still has the protective plastic covering the hood and doors and such. Pretty good steel at $16,000 with factory warranty.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm 6'4" and fit in the Insight fine. If I do move my head to the left, it will rest upon the side of the roof slopong down to the door. It is no problem though. Also, we've had ours loaded down for several hour trips and have had no problems. This is with 2 people weighing 180+lbs and a full cargo area of at least 50 lbs of luggage.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Hondafan:

___Here is a nice HCH, Insight, Prius I and II side by side comparison sheet for you to review.

Hybrid Vehicle Lineup

___Some of my handiwork is included in the comparisons so don’t bet your life on its accuracy ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3kqnictk][email protected][/email:3kqnictk]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts