Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's at
. I didn't see the whole video, but he has some cool measurements of mpg in different gears. The thing I don't think he mentions is that one can shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th. I used to do this in a Metro and it seemed to work fine, but I think I tried it once in the Insight and didn't get that much power in 3rd at lower speeds and didn't like being tailgated while accelerating from red lights so stopped doing it. But wouldn't this style of shifting get better mileage than going through all the gears? And has anyone used it either short or long term? If so, let us know how it works for you.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
The sweet spot for mpg is around 2500 rpm in the G1 Insight. IMHO.

·
7,135 Posts
Shifting from 1st or 2nd to 5th will wear 5th gear's synchro very quickly. I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of bad things happening to the transmissions of people who do it regularly. Maybe Scott can chime in.

That said, I will occasionally do a 1-2-5 shift. More often I'll just quickly change through the gears though.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've found I've always had the best economy by shifting below 2k, and it's a lot easier to keep engine RPM down if the gears are spaced closer.

As far as synchros are concerned, I imagine going through all 5 gears spreads the wear out, and unless you're double clutching and rev matching you should expect to see 5th wear out sooner. Whether that is meaningful overall I can't say.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm in the school that says Honda put five gears in there for a reason and I am not a better engineer than the Honda team. I use all of them. Third seems best suited for pulling up a hill. Otherwise I am in fifth. I try to keep it as simple as possible,

·
Registered
615 Posts
Shifting from 1st or 2nd to 5th will wear 5th gear's synchro very quickly. I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of bad things happening to the transmissions of people who do it regularly. Maybe Scott can chime in.

That said, I will occasionally do a 1-2-5 shift. More often I'll just quickly change through the gears though.
Even if the person double clutches and waits for rpms to drop?

I regularly Skip from 2nd to 4th or 5thif I’m at speed and done accelerating

·
7,135 Posts
If you double clutch and rev match then you're minimizing wear.

I think people run into excessive wear issues when they do things like redline 1st or nearly run out 2nd, then go straight to 5th.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
If you are going to become "shiftless", then get a CVT.
5 gears, use them like the transmission GODS say.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have driven some cars with tight, short gearing where skipping gears makes sense, (especially 2-4 or 3-5) but can't imagine skipping any gears in an Insight. I do a lot of short trips on the highway in city traffic and sometimes even the drop from 3rd to 4th isn't feasible. I almost never make it into 5th unless I make it well outside the city. I'm cringing thinking that there are actually people out there that try to go 2nd to 5th. That simply wouldn't be possible in the western rockies. Maybe somewhere lower elevation with absolutely no hills... but even then... why??

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Using all gears!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts