Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an intermittent 1647 as read on my Scan Gauge. When it happens, the IMA light is on; the battery recharge doesn't appear to work and the IMA does not assist. Resetting it while underway rarely works. If I stop for a few minutes, shutting everything down and restart I can clear the code, everything operates normally until it goes again. Mileage drops as living in Maine we have hills and the IMA assist is useful. Today I started with a battery with full bars, at some point after the code was thrown it dropped to a single bar. After a stop and reset it is up to about 5.

i don't have the ability to read the subcodes, and looking at the shop manual there are a number of things that could throw this code. The manual also says that if it happens intermittently to check the ECM and MCM connections which I have not done yet. Has anyone had this problem and is there a place I should look first?

TARDIS has 125k, and is a couple of years into a Bumblebee pack. It's not driven as often as it should be as I am no longer doing 80 mile daily commutes. In fact it should go to someone who needs it but it is fun to drive, and gets the nod when I'm doing a 100 plus miler. Went around and replaced all of the ground wires a year or so ago. Living in Maine, some were barely existing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have and don't intend to get a YT account but I will count it a bunch of times. Found Mike D's link.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't have and don't intend to get a YT account but I will count it a bunch of times. Found Mike D's link.
Ran the paperclip trick. 4 slow blinks to start when you turn on the ignition then seven's. When you get the first seven then it followed by another and another etc. so I reckon it is subcode 7. Would that be right? 1647, subcode 7?

·
Administrator
12,308 Posts
Sounds reasonable.

1) Possibly loose, damp bad/chewed connections between ECM in footwell and MCM in rear.
2) Bad ECM or MCM

I suggest..

1) Open up the back again.
Check for any harness damage.
Unplug & Replug the MCM connector A. (MAMODE2 is pin3 blk/yel wire)
Use a bit of proper electrical contact spray on the MCM pins if you have any. (Not WD40)
Does it fix it?

2) Remove the cross member and find the big harness connectors underneath it.
Unplug/replug etc. Do the same with them.

Report back

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, a weekend project and since I am in shade tree mechanic mode in Maine, it may be something that has to wait for my local mechanic. I can do the MCM check but under the car doesn't work so well when your shop floor is dirt and the ceiling is leaves coming down.
It doesn't seem like it interferes with driveablility just that nothing is recharging or assisting with the drop in milage. Note in the shop manual on that sub code suggests that it happens on deceleration and that seems to be the case. I can reset it the code and when the vehicle is stopped for a bit then it kicks in anywhere from 5 minutes to half hour into the drive.

·
Administrator
12,308 Posts
You don't have to get under the car.

The cross member I am referring to is the one behind the seats at shoulder level.

Probably a bad connection as I have suggested. The modules are pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't have to get under the car.

The cross member I am referring to is the one behind the seats at shoulder level.

Probably a bad connection as I have suggested. The modules are pretty bulletproof.
This would be accessed then with the battery cover off? It's been a while since I did the battery replacement so don't remember exactly what is back there. I'll also poke around in the shop manual. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts