Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this hasn't been posted and answered before, I couldn't find any threads that were obviously the same problem that I am experiencing.

The other day I began to notice an intermittent whistling or hissing sound when the A/C is on. It's coming from the direction of the passenger-side vent, or perhaps the glove box. Every couple of minutes it will make a high-pitched whistling sound that builds in intensity until ending in a final "burst." It sounds like it's being caused by gas escaping through a narrow opening after building up pressure, almost like a tea kettle releasing steam, but not quite as intense.

The sound only occurs when I have the A/C on. It does not seem to be affected by the routing of airflow, the speed of the fan, or whether the A/C is bringing in fresh air or recycling the air in the car.

There seems to be a correlation between acceleration and braking and the sound, but it's not absolute.

Cooling seems to be fine. Does anyone know what this sound might be caused by? It's very annoying and distracting while driving.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
there are doors and flaps under the dash in the A/C system that open and close while trying to maintain a temperature. It would be that maybe a door or some kind of sealing edge has come loose, causing air to leak and cause the whistling sound.

Does the sound occur when alongside the whirring of the door/flaps motors or during the activation/deactivation of the A/C compressor?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are doors and flaps under the dash in the A/C system that open and close while trying to maintain a temperature. It would be that maybe a door or some kind of sealing edge has come loose, causing air to leak and cause the whistling sound.

Does the sound occur when alongside the whirring of the door/flaps motors or during the activation/deactivation of the A/C compressor?
I carried out this experiment today, and a few times changing between flow routing there was some correspondence between the whirring of the flaps moving and the whistling sound, but it seems to be much more correlated with acceleration/deceleration and ICE auto stops/starts (so in that case, the starting or stopping of the compressor).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,482 Posts
Belt tension?

Willie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Idler pully for compressor belt? The bearing went out on mine a couple years ago, it makes a worrysome whining noise that goes up & down with engine rpm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Idler pully for compressor belt? The bearing went out on mine a couple years ago, it makes a worrysome whining noise that goes up & down with engine rpm.
So I took it to a shop yesterday and they heard the noise but had no idea what the problem was. Suggested I take it to a dealer. I guess I'll just put up with it for now? Or would a dealer actually diagnose this for free? I tend to avoid them due to exorbitant charges.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Like I said previously, it is probably your proportional valve or you are low on refrigerant. To replace this valve, you have to remove the evaporator from the car.

1- Check the refrigerant level, if it is low, fix the leak.
2- If you still have the noise, replace the valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts