Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2004 Insight a couple months ago somewhat impulsively.
It's an automatic but I'm ok with that for now. Everything seemed great when I test drove the car. IMA fully charged, no check engine light. then a couple days after I got it home the CEL came on, and then a day or two later the IMA light came on and now I'm sort of lost about what to do. Do you do most of the work yourself or do you have a good, reliable mechanic? I'd like to learn more, I'm a mechanical engineer and I have reasonable skills with tools but I don't want to make big errors with the battery, grid charger, etc. Any initial advice on skilled people in Phoenix ? Should I drive to Covina CA and visit KLR3CYL ? Thanks, Joseph

·
Administrator
10,773 Posts
Should I drive to Covina CA and visit KLR3CYL ? Thanks, Joseph
Yes you should.

Give him half a day with the car and learn everything you need.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I bought a 2004 Insight a couple months ago somewhat impulsively.
It's an automatic but I'm ok with that for now. Everything seemed great when I test drove the car. IMA fully charged, no check engine light. then a couple days after I got it home the CEL came on, and then a day or two later the IMA light came on and now I'm sort of lost about what to do. Do you do most of the work yourself or do you have a good, reliable mechanic? I'd like to learn more, I'm a mechanical engineer and I have reasonable skills with tools but I don't want to make big errors with the battery, grid charger, etc. Any initial advice on skilled people in Phoenix ? Should I drive to Covina CA and visit KLR3CYL ? Thanks, Joseph
I surrendered my car to Scott and am glad that I did. Everything he fixed works. And he did not fix things I thought needed fixing but did not needed fixing. He, Jimmy and the crew at Jue Motors are great diagnosticians, mechanics and are honest. Or you could take a stab at doing it yourself.

There's a cheap Motel 6 close by.

·
Super Moderator
7,196 Posts
You have a very good battery, grid charger man right there in Phoenix - S Keith. He does this as a sideline and would probably be happy to help. He also installs the HybridAutomotive grid charger. Send him a PM. He'll probably give you a phone # where you can talk.

Certainly not knocking klr3cyl(Scott). He is the best overall insight mechanic in the nation, but I'm just thinking of your convenience.:)

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for outing me... jeesh... :)

Joe, If you can find your way to East Mesa, we can take a quick look and see what you're dealing with. No charge.

·
Super Moderator
7,196 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for outing me... jeesh... :)

Joe, If you can find your way to East Mesa, we can take a quick look and see what you're dealing with. No charge.
You have outed yourself many times. It's all there in your avatar and signature lines:D

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Met with Joe today... unfortunately...

P1444(59) and P1449(78 ):

P1444:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/80841-p1444-ima-high-voltage-short-circuit.html#post883233

About half the taps were at 13.70V and the other half were 15.05V... surprisingly consistent between the two groups.

Still charges 12V and still starts via IMA motor. His emissions are good for another year, so it's not horribly urgent, but I recommended he replace the battery pack...

...and as I type the above, I just remembered the implication of a P1444 and possible BCM damage:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/122469-why-move-nimh-lithium.html#post1414481

So, Joe, you may want to consider replacement sooner rather than later as the HV short may damage the BCM.

Sorry the news wasn't better!

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts