Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still not shipping for a couple more weeks, but LiBCM is now available for pre-order:
Linsight - Purchase

LiBCM has a special $1100 introductory price, good through the end of 2021*.
Starting January 1st, LiBCM will cost $1200.

*Offer valid until [email protected]:59 PM Eastern Time.

Good news for those that didn't purchase batteries back when they were 'free':
Bumblebee has agreed to sell the EHW5 modules!

IMO the price is more than fair. Please direct any complaints elsewhere.

LiBCM Status: Open Beta

Mudder's Status: Tired

Please post questions here:

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
133 Posts
Congratulations on your project thus far.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,765 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
YYEAAAAA been waiting a long time for this. Just got done with the quiz, now to wait for payment receipt so I can pay for it. I was dying at the Darwin section of the quiz, I could just imagine someone actually doing that.

• Haha
Reactions: coreyosaur

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
HAH!

So did Darwin kill himself? Did he have an accomplice who took the after picture?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Reactions: coreyosaur

·
Registered
115 Posts
Couple questions after completing all purchase forms and reviewing some of the videos.
1.If we purchase at this time are we considered early adopters?
2.Will we be getting the touch screen if we purchase now before Jan 1,2022 or will we have to purchase it at a later date?
3.Do you think the charge and assist light will ever be re-incorporated into the system or did I miss something in the video when you pointed out the instrument cluster state of charge light is not fully operational yet?

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple questions after completing all purchase forms and reviewing some of the videos.
1.If we purchase at this time are we considered early adopters?
2.Will we be getting the touch screen if we purchase now before Jan 1,2022 or will we have to purchase it at a later date?
3.Do you think the charge and assist light will ever be re-incorporated into the system or did I miss something in the video when you pointed out the instrument cluster state of charge light is not fully operational yet?
Great questions!
1: I changed the name from "Early Adopter" to "Open Beta". You can call yourself whatever you want. Officially LiBCM is sold as an Open Beta.

2: The LiDisplay touch screen is not released yet. For now, only the 4x20 display shown in this video is included. When LiDisplay is released, it will (always) be sold as a separate product. Once we exit Open Beta, LiBCM will no longer require a display for safe operation, at which point no display will be included at all (not even the 4x20). Customers who want a display will need to purchase LiDisplay... it will probably cost at most $100 (but it's an off-the-shelf part, so you could program one yourself if you know how to flash my open source firmware to it). I suspect that most customers purchasing through Bumblebee won't want the screen anyway.

3: The regen and assist gauges both work. It's the state-of-charge (SoC) gauge that doesn't work yet. FYI: LiBCM's display shows both assist/regen (in kW) and SoC (in %). See this video.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The LiBCM's display shows both assist/regen (in kW) and SoC (in % both work. It's the state-of-charge (SoC) gauge that doesn't work yet. FYI: LiBCM's display shows both assist/regen (in kW) and SoC (in %). See this video.
Yes I got that LiBCM's display shows both assist/regen (in kW) and SoC (in %), just didn't see regen and assist gauges lite up when you were demonstrating that SOC gauge isn't working yet. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Great questions!
1: I changed the name from "Early Adopter" to "Open Beta". You can call yourself whatever you want. Officially LiBCM is sold as an Open Beta.

2: The LiDisplay touch screen is not released yet. For now, only the 4x20 display shown in this video is included. When LiDisplay is released, it will (always) be sold as a separate product. Once we exit Open Beta, LiBCM will no longer require a display for safe operation, at which point no display will be included at all (not even the 4x20). Customers who want a display will need to purchase LiDisplay... it will probably cost at most $100 (but it's an off-the-shelf part, so you could program one yourself if you know how to flash my open source firmware to it). I suspect that most customers purchasing through Bumblebee won't want the screen anyway.

3: The regen and assist gauges both work. It's the state-of-charge (SoC) gauge that doesn't work yet. FYI: LiBCM's display shows both assist/regen (in kW) and SoC (in %). See this video.
WHERE ARE YOUR SHOES?? OR AT LEAST SOCKS????

• Haha
Reactions: Natalya

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WHERE ARE YOUR SHOES?? OR AT LEAST SOCKS????
I'm in an air conditioned garage... which doesn't matter much because it's 70 degF outside. I never drive with shoes on.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
So I talked to Bull Dog and he doesn't really have the time to be an installer, he wasn't aware you had put him as such on the order forms. I thought he was going to be doing installs which is why I was saying I was going to get one. I don't really know if there's anyone else I'd trust to do it at this time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I talked to Bull Dog and he doesn't really have the time to be an installer, he wasn't aware you had put him as such on the order forms. I thought he was going to be doing installs which is why I was saying I was going to get one. I don't really know if there's anyone else I'd trust to do it at this time.
What's your location?

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rainsux is about the same distance away from you in the opposite direction (Albuquerque, NM). He should be listed soon, just working out some final details.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
John...THANK YOU. A few questions/observations before I purchase. Read the website and can't find info on some things.

1. Love the wreck Q&A btw.
2. Warranty? What is the warranty? I read and hear very conflicting things....is there any warranty (time frame) besides the "if it's broke I'll fix it and if you don't like it I'll return it"?
3. Under the grid charging questions, you mention "as often as possible" and then "never needed" in the same FAQ bullet. Please explain.
4. You mention BB having a full plug and play coming at some point....do we know when this will be? I'm trying to decide if I want to risk the issue that come with Beta or just wait on the full monty.
5. HONESTY NEEDED HERE: For a guy with a bunch of kids, a job, a cane, enough passion to appreciate the G1 Insight but not enough time/knowledge/gifting to figure out the potential 732 issues that might arise after reading your FAQ, and realizing with full disclosure this is a beta product, one that I will not be installing but will be installed for me by a trusted friend who you and I both know and live near, but with zero time/skill to troubleshoot potential problems myself....(now the question).....is this right for me or rather than purchasing now should I hold off until the BB plug and play option is available for people like myself?

Thanks. Normal people aren't up all night like you so if you can reply before 10pm EST I might get that 2021 order completed.

Thanks again for your 3200+4 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
I wish I had the time (currently work >60hrs weekly), I would love to be an installer. But alas. I do not.

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. Love the wreck Q&A btw.
I'll sift through and sort it soon... it's already highly concentrated compared to the 1200+ posts in the two threads over the past ten months.

2. Warranty? What is the warranty? I read and hear very conflicting things....is there any warranty (time frame) besides the "if it's broke I'll fix it and if you don't like it I'll return it"?
The warranty is described during the (rather long) purchase form. Summary: DIY kits do not come with any warranty. However, I 100% test each kit prior to shipment. If something doesn't work and I find that it was a manufacturing defect, I will fix it for free... but I just can't warrant damage caused by individuals. There are simply too many customer installation variables.

LiBCM units installed by Certified Installers come with a 1 year hardware warranty. I can do this because the installers know what they're doing. Full details on this warranty are also in the (rather long) purchase form.

3. Under the grid charging questions, you mention "as often as possible" and then "never needed" in the same FAQ bullet. Please explain.
Grid charging allows you to start with a full pack, so in that sense you should do it as often as possible. However, it's never needed. The rather sparse documentation page has a "using LiBCM" video that further explains this.

4. You mention BB having a full plug and play coming at some point....do we know when this will be? I'm trying to decide if I want to risk the issue that come with Beta or just wait on the full monty.
In the words of @Bull Dog: "When it's ready"
It'll be after the Open Beta program concludes, which will happen whenever LiBCM is able to safely operate without any LCD screen. That'll be whenever LiBCM firmware hit V1.0.0... whenever that is.

Obviously the hacker crew (myself included) will always have an LCD plugged in, but many of BB's customers won't want (or know how to interpret) that data.

5. HONESTY NEEDED HERE: For a guy with a bunch of kids, a job, a cane, enough passion to appreciate the G1 Insight but not enough time/knowledge/gifting to figure out the potential 732 issues that might arise after reading your FAQ, and realizing with full disclosure this is a beta product, one that I will not be installing but will be installed for me by a trusted friend who you and I both know and live near, but with zero time/skill to troubleshoot potential problems myself....(now the question).....is this right for me or rather than purchasing now should I hold off until the BB plug and play option is available for people like myself?
Based on the data provided, you should wait for V1.0.0

At this point I am using LiBCM without any manual interaction. I do not get P codes and it always works. Except while filming the installation videos, I haven't removed the pack since before thanksgiving. However, one cold-weather beta tester is still running into a forced background charge issue below -20 degC, and another still has intermittent P1576(12) issues. Both of these issues will be fixed prior to sending Open Beta kits.

In general, the private beta crew and I are deciding which firmware features must be implemented prior to shipping the Open Beta kits. Mostly it's the issues noted here: Linsight - Open Beta Status

1 - 20 of 52 Posts