Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
@mudder I have a question about software update, do we need to turn off the battery to upload the new software update or can it be done with the battery on, This will be my first update and want to make sure I don't screw up anything.

Disregard the question crossed out above, I was able to upload version 6.8, it is affecting MIMA different than the previous version, I cannot get Regen any longer while in MIMA, all I did was upload the new update, I'll try the previous one to see if it was something with the new update.

Update: I went back and uploaded version 6.4 and MIMA is only giving me assist, not regen at all, We'll figure it out somehow.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
When the grid charged is plugged at 120v it consumes .78 amps, (I have my Kill a watt hooked up to it) so charging at 240 would be .39 amp or would still be .78 amp? if so would be double the power, otherwise it would not be worth switching.
At 240 volts, QTY4 100k resistors on the LiBCM PCB are warmer than I initially intended (e.g. Ta+24 degC), but are still well within their rated Tmax.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I took a 200 mile drive yesterday and no issues, I've been looking at the state of charge on the batteries and when I get back home the charge is somewhere around 60%, I'm not planning on charging it except for balancing, this pack's capacity is too small for daily charging.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hello all,

So I'm seriously considering purchasing @mudder's kit and was filling out the disclosure / agreement form to be added to the wait list. I was doing pretty good with it until the section on the risk of storing my Insight with LiBCM in the attached garage (which is directly under the bedroom).

How worried do I need to be about this? It's a pretty big risk to take, burning down our home and potential loss of life.

What are the conditions where this risk is highest (e.g., when on the grid charger)?

@mudder, safety seems to be of utmost importance to you, but unexpected things do happen. Just how big of a risk am I taking?

Appreciating what you're doing for us with this mod...

Thanks,
BaileyMan
LiBCM is safe in my opinion, however, the first few times when I installed it I did charged the car outdoors, specially if your garage is right above. Trust is something you have to build. At the beginning I would also charge on the weekend so I was always kept an eye on it every hour.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I will likely be ordering 2 more but I'll wait until the 47AH FoMoCo pack is ready, I've happy with LiBCM except the pack capacity, the 47AH pack will fix that.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
The 48S FoMoCo modules won't take up any existing passenger space. 60S probably will, as I haven't figured out a way to safely install QTY5 FoMoCo modules inside the OEM bay (QTY4 fit just fine, but will require a custom bracket).
Let me know if you need help sourcing the brackets, I can do that for you.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Second! With my CVT I have to keep my foot on the gas just the right amount at all times to coast, otherwise I get punished with lots of Regen. It is just uncomfortable to drive.

I don't know if the LiBCM can control this, but I would like to try out different percentages of Regen while in coast mode. If it is easy to add that is, otherwise enable/disable is fine.
You are describing "One Pedal Driving" which is what I use all the time, you can modulate the accelerator to get you exactly where you want to be, this is specially useful in heavy traffic, I drive in heavy traffic and most of the time I don't even touch the brake pedal. I only use the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

It may be because I've done hypermiling for so many years.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Problem is in southern California, all traffic is stop and go traffic, unfortunately. If you try to leave a gap in front of you, you just get cut off constantly.
It may be the MIMA joystick that makes the difference, I can manually control 0 to 100% regen with the joystick, I can follow the car in front close and pull full assist if I have to, if traffic is going very slow I keep it in 2nd and use joystick to help with acceleration or regen.

No issues for me whatsoever, Love MIMA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts