Honda Insight Forum banner
221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
Copying the unzipped repository to a FAT32 usb stick still gives error file path/name too long for system. :unsure:

I have to chop the folder/repository name down from 'Honda_Insight_LiBCM-SeparateGridChargerFromBalancing' to 'LiBCM071'

Not a major issue but maybe shorten the repository name?

I have upgraded both packs in my possession to this new version 0.7.1. (y)

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Ah... there it is.
Yeah, the root filename on github is whatever description I give the branch... it's not how it shows up on my file explorer, since git handles it all for me behind the scenes. When v0.7.1 rolls back into main, the name will automatically shorten.

FYI: You only need the "firmware" folder to build the firmware.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
FYI: I updated post #220 with v0.7.2. The code is functionally identical to v0.7.1, just with some tidying up.

I've been running v0.7.1 for a couple days now. I'll give everyone (who wants to) a few days with v0.7.2... and then if I don't hear any bad news I'll pull it back into main.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've now moved from 0.6.8 to 0.7.2.
Side note - Have now spent over 200 hours on the grid-charger since install. As Mudder previously mentioned - It's nice starting with a full battery.

Edit: Correction, I have not reached 200 hours grid charging, but have reached 100.

Additionally, have decided to try out REDUCE_BACKGROUND_REGEN_UNLESS_BRAKING beginning on commute home tomorrow. Already reaching 30C battery temps in Phoenix w/ no A/C on.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
What is the 'E0_' on the LCD third line?
"E 0_" is two things:

"E 0" is the number of isoSPI errors that have occurred since the last keyON. This number should pretty much always be zero. In my car it's never been any other value. @Natalya sees at most a few errors per hour, which is also acceptable. FYI: When the car is running, there are ~300 isoSPI transmissions per second... which means there are ~300 chances for an error to occur per second.

"_" is the grid charger status, where:
'_' means the grid charger is off,
'G' means the grid charger is charging,
'g' is the startup value, until LiBCM turns the grid charger on or off for the first time.

I mainly added these features to the display for my own debugging purposes, since I was changing low level isoSPI and grid charger code.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Additionally, have decided to try out REDUCE_BACKGROUND_REGEN_UNLESS_BRAKING beginning on commute home tomorrow. Already reaching 30C battery temps in Phoenix w/ no A/C on.
FYI:
30 degC isn't anything to worry about.

See my note at the end of this function:
//#define REDUCE_BACKGROUND_REGEN_UNLESS_BRAKING //EXPERIMENTAL! //JTS2doNow: Make it better
...last time I used it it wasn't working well... it's on the back burner for now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I decided to wait before enabling it to see if you might comment on the currently experimental feature. It'll be months before I get up to those approx 45C start-of-drive temperatures, so I'll go ahead and wait on it.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
@daleag , for now you could get them from a salvage yard (I believe that 2019 and 2020 Insights have been verified to use these modules) or wait for one of the lithium battery resellers to get more in stock.

I would not be surprised if other Honda hybrid models use them as well, but I don't think anyone has done a comprehensive search to find out.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
921 Posts
"E 0_" is two things:

"E 0" is the number of isoSPI errors that have occurred since the last keyON. This number should pretty much always be zero. In my car it's never been any other value. @Natalya sees at most a few errors per hour, which is also acceptable. FYI: When the car is running, there are ~300 isoSPI transmissions per second... which means there are ~300 chances for an error to occur per second.

"_" is the grid charger status, where:
'_' means the grid charger is off,
'G' means the grid charger is charging,
'g' is the startup value, until LiBCM turns the grid charger on or off for the first time.

I mainly added these features to the display for my own debugging purposes, since I was changing low level isoSPI and grid charger code.
Might I suggest making "g" be grid charger off and "_" the uninitialized value? It's easier to see a G or g and understand it's the grid charger rather than having to remember what _ was for.

·
and two dogs
364 Posts
Hi all
Just completed a test drive with 0.7.2.

Fantastic. Temperatures, voltage balancing, mains charging, fan switching: all very well behaved. Steady15kW assist going uphill? Simple. Even the cluster SOC gauge was usable, showing quarter full-ish at 28%.

LiBMS is a really marvellous achievement. Thank you very much, John and Peter.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Just completed a test drive with 0.7.2.

Fantastic. Temperatures, voltage balancing, mains charging, fan switching: all very well behaved. Steady15kW assist going uphill? Simple.
Glad LiBCM is working great for you!

Even the cluster SOC gauge was usable, showing quarter full-ish at 28%.
FYI: The SoC gauge probably isn't actually working in your car right now... we haven't deciphered the 'magic initial condition' bytes on BATTSCI that allows that gauge to work properly. We can update the gauge if we spoof the values on METSCI, but LiBCM doesn't have access to that bus. I gathered tons of data a couple months back so I can revisit the SoC gauge in the future... but haven't gotten around to it yet.

LiBMS is a really marvellous achievement. Thank you very much, John and Peter.
Thanks for your support.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all,

So I'm seriously considering purchasing @mudder's kit and was filling out the disclosure / agreement form to be added to the wait list. I was doing pretty good with it until the section on the risk of storing my Insight with LiBCM in the attached garage (which is directly under the bedroom).

How worried do I need to be about this? It's a pretty big risk to take, burning down our home and potential loss of life.

What are the conditions where this risk is highest (e.g., when on the grid charger)?

@mudder, safety seems to be of utmost importance to you, but unexpected things do happen. Just how big of a risk am I taking?

Appreciating what you're doing for us with this mod...

Thanks,
BaileyMan

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hello all,

So I'm seriously considering purchasing @mudder's kit and was filling out the disclosure / agreement form to be added to the wait list. I was doing pretty good with it until the section on the risk of storing my Insight with LiBCM in the attached garage (which is directly under the bedroom).

How worried do I need to be about this? It's a pretty big risk to take, burning down our home and potential loss of life.

What are the conditions where this risk is highest (e.g., when on the grid charger)?

@mudder, safety seems to be of utmost importance to you, but unexpected things do happen. Just how big of a risk am I taking?

Appreciating what you're doing for us with this mod...

Thanks,
BaileyMan
LiBCM is safe in my opinion, however, the first few times when I installed it I did charged the car outdoors, specially if your garage is right above. Trust is something you have to build. At the beginning I would also charge on the weekend so I was always kept an eye on it every hour.

·
Registered
218 Posts
With my windows and hatch covered in reflectix, and the vehicle sitting all weekend, the air in the vehicle appears to have stayed at about ambient temperature. Just flipped on the ignition (7PM Phoenix) and received temperature 40C inside the battery box before some warmer air was pulled in.

Attachments

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
How worried do I need to be about storing my Insight with LiBCM in the attached garage (which is directly under the bedroom)?
At this point the risk is quite low. However, if you choose to disregard this guidance and LiBCM burns your house down, Exhibit 1 at the trial is going to be that you agreed to assume this risk as a condition of using LiBCM... in other words, this is a legal shield to protect Linsight from lawsuits.

FWIW, I always leave my car plugged in, and my garage is below my living room. At this point I trust the firmware enough, and am extremely cautious whenever I change critical portions of the code that could cause the batteries to explode.

There are two conditions that elevate risk:
-grid charging, since there's a chance the batteries could overcharge. LiBCM has multiple firmware and hardware checks to prevent this, but it is still a possibility.
-running new firmware versions until they are vetted.

If the grid charger is unplugged, there is a vanishingly small chance that LiBCM is going to do something that causes the lithium modules to explode.

safety seems to be of utmost importance to you, but unexpected things do happen. Just how big of a risk am I taking?
When operating the grid charger in a garage that is attached to a habitable space, You are entirely assuming a very small risk that the lithium modules could overcharge. From a hardware perspective, the risk is vanishingly small, whereas from a firmware perspective it's possible that a future firmware update could cause the batteries to explode.

Fun fact: The EHW5 modules LiBCM is designed for contain the energy equivalent of QTY3 sticks of dynamite!

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
With my windows and hatch covered in reflectix, and the vehicle sitting all weekend, the air in the vehicle appears to have stayed at about ambient temperature. Just flipped on the ignition (7PM Phoenix) and received temperature 40C inside the battery box before some warmer air was pulled in.
Thanks for that feedback. Placing reflective material in the rear hatch is the best way to keep things cool.
40 degC is a perfectly safe operating temperature for the lithium modules, which are rated to 55 degC operating, 65 degC storage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At this point the risk is quite low. However, if you choose to disregard this guidance and LiBCM burns your house down, Exhibit 1 at the trial is going to be that you agreed to assume this risk as a condition of using LiBCM... in other words, this is a legal shield to protect Linsight from lawsuits.

FWIW, I always leave my car plugged in, and my garage is below my living room. At this point I trust the firmware enough, and am extremely cautious whenever I change critical portions of the code that could cause the batteries to explode.

There are two conditions that elevate risk:
-grid charging, since there's a chance the batteries could overcharge. LiBCM has multiple firmware and hardware checks to prevent this, but it is still a possibility.
-running new firmware versions until they are vetted.

If the grid charger is unplugged, there is a vanishingly small chance that LiBCM is going to do something that causes the lithium modules to explode.

When operating the grid charger in a garage that is attached to a habitable space, You are entirely assuming a very small risk that the lithium modules could overcharge. From a hardware perspective, the risk is vanishingly small, whereas from a firmware perspective it's possible that a future firmware update could cause the batteries to explode.

Fun fact: The EHW5 modules LiBCM is designed for contain the energy equivalent of QTY3 sticks of dynamite!
Thank you for your reply, @mudder. It's helpful to have a little more info about this. Thanks!

221 - 240 of 276 Posts