Honda Insight Forum banner
241 - 260 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Feeling pretty good about getting in to the summer heat. The window coverings seem to help and my 5ft dryer duct sends plenty of ice-cold air in to the battery compartment as can be seen on the LiBCM display temperature readout. Expecting temperature to peak after parking on a 116 degree day - while in a storage, non-use/non-charge scenario.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Since people are asking with increasing frequency:
I do not know when LiBCM will exit "Open Beta" status.
However, the LiBCM hardware is 100% finished... only the firmware remains in Open Beta.
Therefore, when I release the V1.0 firmware, it will work on all existing hardware.**

My best guess for when LiBCM firmware hits v1.0 is:
-when it's ready (100% certain)
-probably sometime this summer (90% certain)
-optimistically in late June (25% certain)

**Except for the QTY1 alpha LiBCM unit that an alpha customer still hasn't returned (either @retepsnikrep , @Natalya , @Bull Dog , or @Rainsux... I lost track ). :)

·
Registered
2006 JDM LiBCM UK Beta #5
5 Posts
Thanks mudder, keep up the great work!

How long do we have on the current sw before it times out and stops working? Is there something users should do to stop that happening?

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
How long do we have on the current sw before it times out and stops working? Is there something users should do to stop that happening?
That info is all on the Linsight.org site FAQ and in these threads.
You have to reflash the firmware to reset the timer.

·
and two dogs
364 Posts
As Peter says. Coincidentally, I uploaded my firmware ten minutes ago. Make sure your laptop is on the current date as the compilation date is checked by mudder's code. It needs to be newer than the last upload.
Also note that it is possible to start the car normally after the firmware has expired, but the code identifies the condition the first time you turn off the key, making your return journey one without IMA.

Reactions: mudder

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Thanks mudder, keep up the great work!

During the Open Beta period, you must update the firmware at least every 40 days.
You can load any firmware version you want... but you must reload some version at least once every 40 days (or LiBCM will stop working).

This timeout is so that people don't continue running old beta firmware months/years from now. Once LiBCM exits Open Beta, the firmware will never expire again... I'll still recommend updating.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
The 'hardest' part will be mechanically interfacing those Clarity modules with LiBCM's ribbon cable headers... which will just take some time. So yes, they'll work with LiBCM, but you'll need to do some manual wiring for the BMS and current cabling.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
RevD PCBs just shipped:
Product Font Technology Electronic device Electric blue

Assuming shipping goes smoothly, I should have them on Friday. I'm still finishing up work on an unrelated project... so I haven't made time to create the new Pick-and-place centroids file yet... but I should be able to do that Thursday or so. Basically I'll be able to build this PCB as soon as it arrives.

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
I've been doing some forced regen charge in (CRZ) car testing of the CR-Z Lithium EHW5 cells.
Honda allows ~4V per cell before the OEM BMS cuts regen. (I'll get a more mv accurate figure shortly)

The displayed HDS SOC maxes out at 80.00% but regen can continue for about a minute before it is cut.
This 'extra' you put it in is then used first when assisting as the SOC does not tick down immediately.

I haven't tried the bottom end yet but will do so and report back.
I can't find the voltage V soc table so don't know how this correlates with LiBCM?

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
Further testing shows the OEM CR-Z Lithium BMS allows cell voltages to reach 4.2V under high rpm heavy current regen at high SOC.

It will cut regen at resting cell voltages at just over 4V so about 85%

At the other end 3.10 was the voltage of the lowest cell at final assist cut off. ~2%

Note assist never actually completely cut, it just dropped dramatically to 2A when the voltage had dropped to about 3.4V and then the cells slowly ticked down under the small load.

I don't know how far they would have gone down at this very small drain but I got bored waiting.

·
Registered
749 Posts
When I was getting all excited about the LiBCM project I missed out on getting the batteries. For those of you who have done this, what has been your experience regarding MPG increase? I am not interested so much in going faster or feeling like a regular car, just looking for a good bump in fuel economy.

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
It won't increase fuel economy much over a reasonable Nimh pack so don't do it just for that reason.
It makes the IMA side more electrically efficient and powerful but doesn't magically give loads more mpg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I was getting all excited about the LiBCM project I missed out on getting the batteries. For those of you who have done this, what has been your experience regarding MPG increase? I am not interested so much in going faster or feeling like a regular car, just looking for a good bump in fuel economy.
I saw a 2 MPG bump compared to no battery at all. But the car is way more drivable and fun. I am not a "hyper miler." I just drive the car. My commute is freeway and rural highway. I get 60 MPG on a tank of gas.

·
and two dogs
364 Posts
I've found two factors at play:
1. The car is way faster, so there is a tendency to be heavier with the right foot for the fun of it.
2. By leaving the car plugged in to charge, you start off at around 75% (or whatever you set in config.h) and can drain the cells down hard, before charging up back-at-base. On a run you know well, this should give you an improvement.

Once the firmware allows you to suspend background charging and you have Peter's IMA manual command slider pot to keep the car in lean burn far longer, I think big numbers should be possible.

Reactions: joeaax1j

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I've found two factors at play:
1. The car is way faster, so there is a tendency to be heavier with the right foot for the fun of it.
2. By leaving the car plugged in to charge, you start off at around 75% (or whatever you set in config.h) and can drain the cells down hard, before charging up back-at-base. On a run you know well, this should give you an improvement.

Once the firmware allows you to suspend background charging and you have Peter's IMA manual command slider pot to keep the car in lean burn far longer, I think big numbers should be possible.
When I do the above recommend (I have peters slider pot mod) I can achieve 65-68mpg round trip to work. Normal is 52-55.

Reactions: joeaax1j
241 - 260 of 276 Posts