Honda Insight Forum banner
261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Peter's IMA manual command slider pot to keep the car in lean burn far longer
Do you mean, once entering lean burn, you can use manually commanded assist instead to crest small rises or manually commanded regen to brake on downhills, and keep one's foot within the happy lean burn range of the throttle, and thus not get kicked out of lean burn?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. No two ways about it I know that it will last longer and my IMA is dead on one of my cars. Acceleration is a nice perk but I have a really fast car and five bikes to ride if I want fast. If I can get a slider to assist more than pedal, that would be a great reason to get it. I just want to be able to bump mpg, but that drive to get it while losing acceleration on grades is a bit frustrating at times.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 · (Edited)
My mileage has increased from low 50s to mid-to-high 60s... but that's because I'm always starting with a full battery and my old battery was completely hosed (and so always background regenning). If your NiMH cells are in good shape, LiBCM likely won't increase MPG with EHW5 modules... but once the 47 Ah FoMoCo battery design is complete the MPGs will go through the roof.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm looking to convert several 18s bolted modules to 12s. Is it possible to add a plastic cover to the 12s pseudo module to increase safety? It would also be cool if it was possible to make 3x 12s modules out of 2x 18s modules.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
I'm looking to convert several 18s bolted modules to 12s. Is it possible to add a plastic cover to the 12s pseudo module to increase safety? It would also be cool if it was possible to make 3x 12s modules out of 2x 18s modules.
Placing a plastic cover on a pseudo-12S module doesn't appreciably improve safety. The exposed conductors aren't accessible in their high voltage state. Also, the OEM battery enclosure provides plenty of safety margin.

Further, Adding a cover could mechanically wear the custom harness used on pseudo-12S modules.

The difficulty with creating QTY3 pseudo-12S modules from QTY2 source 18S modules is that the 'third' pseudo-12S module requires additional compression mechanicals, which would be expensive to manufacture in small quantities.

Unrelated: Today I built QTY29 RevD PCBs up through SMT reflow:
Plant Green Grass Groundcover Rectangle

It took 19 hours, which is ~39 minutes per PCB. My P&P machine is placing erratically right now, which I suspect is doubling the assembly time (due to manual part alignment adjustment prior to reflow). I really should replace my P&P machine's proprietary controller with a modern OpenPNP board, which would let me add vision cameras... but that takes time and I don't want to lose a working machine... even in its poor placing state, it still places parts 20x faster than I do by hand. I can't imagine hand placing the QTY18200 SMT parts that Mr. P&P placed today.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I just received a tracking number for QTY105 LTC6820 ICs!
I ordered them last July from an authorized distributor in Shenzen... basically a year ago.

This is excellent news, as it's the only part I still don't possess enough of to build QTY250 units!
If/when they actually arrive, then I'll have enough parts to build QTY206 LiBCMs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it possible for LiBCM to take an aux charge while driving? One day I would like to try to put in a turbo alternator and some solar panels on the roof and hood.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Is it possible for LiBCM to take an aux charge while driving? One day I would like to try to put in a turbo alternator and some solar panels on the roof and hood.
You would need external hardware to do this. LiBCM has several uncommitted I/O pins, so LiBCM could control that external hardware... but yeah LiBCM isn't going to be able to shunt solar panels (when the pack is full), doesn't support MPPT, and wouldn't be able to handle the current from a bolt-on alternator.

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
If you have roughly the right voltage panels to match the pack you could just dump the power into the LiBCM pack and control them via a suitable relay/mosfet so that if cell voltage reaches full LiBCM trips the relays/switch.
A couple of lines of code and very simple hardware hack.

Even a car covered in super efficient panels is only going to net you 50-100W or so at the right voltage.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I would like to report that I still have not reloaded firmware. LiBCM is now disabled in my car and I'm going to completely forget within the next 5 minutes after posting this.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got more thingies to make more LiBCM! I know I'm definitely going to need at least 3 more 😭. I'll probably be ordering two from the next batch, then a 3rd later on down the line.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I will likely be ordering 2 more but I'll wait until the 47AH FoMoCo pack is ready, I've happy with LiBCM except the pack capacity, the 47AH pack will fix that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm doing 3 LiBCM conversions, we're putting g3's in Jackies and my brother's car and then I have a set of 5 of the Samsung 47ah for my car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dang, it looks like bumblebee sold out of the 12S+ 18S- 18S- combo.

Attachments

261 - 276 of 276 Posts