Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I'll sift through and sort it soon... it's already highly concentrated compared to the 1200+ posts in the two threads over the past ten months.

Based on the data provided, you should wait for V1.0.0...
No man I was referring to your Q&A question about the wreck/accident, not implying the Q&A was a wreck...that one really made me laugh. I read the find print.

Thanks again for the time. Yeah I'm gonna think on it. I will have lithium eventually. Coincidentally my 13-year old NiMh pack threw an IMA light earlier today. Just need to think more on the jump to beta and whether or not I'm ready now or will be the first person in line once v1.0 is out.

Thanks again to you, Sam, Natalya, Isaac, and all others I'm unaware of who are working on all of this....it is really awesome.

Reactions: Harborman

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
one cold-weather beta tester is still running into a forced background charge issue below -20 degC
I get forced background charging with my OEM pack and BCM when it gets cold enough, here in Iowa. I'm curious, are you saying that LiBCM shouldn't be force charging at all, due to temperature? Or just that it should only be happening at a much lower temp than -20 deg C?

·
Linsight Designer
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The issue is that force charging rapidly heats up a NiMH pack, due to the lower per-cell ESR. Therefore the pack heats up to a 'good' temperature long before the cells are full.

These lithium cells have more than 10x lower ESR, and hardly heat up at all during forced charging. Therefore, in very cold weather the MCM will continue force-recharging the lithium modules until they are completely full.

The fix is quite simple: we're going to spoof the pack temperature so that the MCM stops forced recharge in low temperatures. I just haven't done that yet, as I've been focused on hardware. One of our beta testers is working on that code, but again, I haven't pulled that work because I've been very busy elsewhere. But this week firmware is my primary focus... just as soon as I take care of some final hardware changes (that are required due to component shortages).

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Still not shipping for a couple more weeks, but LiBCM is now available for pre-order:
Linsight - Purchase

LiBCM has a special $1100 introductory price, good through the end of 2021*.
Starting January 1st, LiBCM will cost $1200.

*Offer valid until [email protected]:59 PM Eastern Time.

Good news for those that didn't purchase batteries back when they were 'free':
Bumblebee has agreed to sell the EHW5 modules!

IMO the price is more than fair. Please direct any complaints elsewhere.

LiBCM Status: Open Beta

Mudder's Status: Tired

Please post questions here:
I am following this with great interest.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Is a case for the LCD display included in the DIY kit? If not, what case options exist?

·
Linsight Designer
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Is a case for the LCD display included in the DIY kit? If not, what case options exist?
No case is included with the Open Beta 4x20 display. I've invested as little time as possible on that screen, since it will be replaced when LiBCM exits Open Beta. Right now the display is simply adhered to the cup holder (using 3M VHB tape specifically designed for polypropylene).

I believe the 3D printable OBDIIC&C case will also hold the 4x20 display.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Thanks for the case info. Next question: is LiBCM compatible with MIMA and/or IMA C&C?

·
Linsight Designer
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Car is loaded up with QTY13 LiBCM units, ready for shipment tomorrow. Apologies to those that should have received a first round shipment (due to your 'place' in line), but who instead got bumped because I didn't have your address. It looks like if you pay F&F, then Paypal won't show you a shipping address. Now I know. I've sent a message to each person who has paid, but didn't have an address listed.

If you didn't receive a USPS tracking number (either via paypal, ic.net message, or email (in that order)), then you didn't make the first batch.

If everything goes to plan, I'll ship another QTY10 units next Friday.

Now to finish up the firmware before the first shipments arrive ;).

When the kits arrive, please kindly let me know if I messed up your order... everything should be there, but this being the first round I probably forgot to include something. Thank you in advance for your patience. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

Also, each package is insured for $1200, so if the package arrives damaged in any way, please take pictures and contact me prior to opening the box!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you didn't receive a USPS tracking number (either via paypal, ic.net message, or email (in that order)), then you didn't make the first batch.
Have tracking numbers already been sent? (via paypal, ic.net message, or email ?)

·
Linsight Designer
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So Paypal just locked my account due to "suspicious activity". For the time being, all payments received are still good, but if I don't provide proof that I've shipped all the orders y'all have placed in the next two weeks (highly unlikely), then Paypal is threatening to refund all payments, cancel all orders, and close my account "to prevent fraud".

There's the Paypal I know and love! I opened my first Paypal account 22 years ago... it's always been a hassle, I've always balked at their fees, and it's always been a hate/hate relationship. But that's the way it is... gotta play by their rules...

...so let's bend them a little:
If I sent you a PM in the past twenty minutes, please reply with an authorization for me to mark your payment as "this transaction doesn't involve a physical good or item." Rest assured I will still send you your LiBCM Kit (once it exists).

If I didn't send you a PM, then no action is required.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Rainsux is about the same distance away from you in the opposite direction (Albuquerque, NM). He should be listed soon, just working out some final details.
So upon talking to Bulldog he doesn't recommend putting in lithium for such an extreme use case until it's more polished. I'm going to defer to his judgement at this time since he was pretty involved in the process.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
So upon talking to Bulldog he doesn't recommend putting in lithium for such an extreme use case until it's more polished. I'm going to defer to his judgement at this time since he was pretty involved in the process.
I read the FAQ and talked to both John and Natalya for a long time and asked all my questions. I was about to pull the trigger on this setup as my IMA is mostly dead but I realized after my research that I'm in the same boat as you. It's a brilliant product for those that have the time/know-how/desire to constantly monitor it, do the updates, and deal with potential beta bugs. I'm not that person but will be first in line to purchase 1.0 when it's available. Till then my Insight waits in anticipation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So am I going to regret not jumping in here while these are available if I don’t need the new battery just yet? I would be counting on you still producing these a year or two down the line… :)

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Car is loaded up with QTY13 LiBCM units, ready for shipment tomorrow. Apologies to those that should have received a first round shipment (due to your 'place' in line), but who instead got bumped because I didn't have your address. It looks like if you pay F&F, then Paypal won't show you a shipping address. Now I know. I've sent a message to each person who has paid, but didn't have an address listed.

If everything goes to plan, I'll ship another QTY10 units next Friday.

Now to finish up the firmware before the first shipments arrive ;).

When the kits arrive, please kindly let me know if I messed up your order... everything should be there, but this being the first round I probably forgot to include something. Thank you in advance for your patience. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

Also, each package is insured for $1200, so if the package arrives damaged in any way, please take pictures and contact me prior to opening the box!
When I got that email with a tracking number last night I was legit screaming with excitement, as was @EggEnjoyer who was hanging out with me at the time. I'm so excited! I'm grabbing one of my cores to prep it for install once the kit arrives. Woohoo!!!!

Reactions: mudder and Yizikes
21 - 40 of 64 Posts