Honda Insight Forum banner
661 - 680 of 724 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #662 ·
Is there going to be space for Mike's original PNP MIMA with a 60s FoMoCo system?
Probably not. It's really tight in the IMA bay, particularly everywhere ;). I've never actually seen the piggybacked quad connector Mike put together, but if someone at the Maryland meet (this weekend) wants to show me theirs then I'll be able to say for sure. Right now my gut feeling is "no way will that fit".

The faster grid charger seems to be in the way with a regular 48S install.
When you sent me that picture earlier I was surprised how big Mike's connector solution is. IIRC, the reason Mike used that inline connector was to prevent having to modify the OEM IMA wire harness... well that's no longer an issue, because with FoMoCo you're definitely tearing the bandaid off (er, electric tape).

One thought, then, is to just cut Mike's chonker connector off and manually wire the few (?) signals he's intercepting into the IMA harness. Again, I've never seen Mike's MIMA under the IMA cover, so it's possible there are more than a dozen wires to tap into... in which case that becomes cumbersome.

I don't have an answer at the moment. If someone has a spare MIMA system lying around that I can borrow for a week, I can definitively answer this question (and also fix the "constant four green LED" issue that also affects Mike's MIMA).

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
Here's an overview of the 'value-add' you get if you purchase 47 Ah FoMoCo modules from me:
FYI: My microphone gain was turned down, so you'll need to turn the volume up to 11. Normally I would reshoot the video, but I'll save that for the actual conversion videos.
Don't forget to turn your volume back down after watching the video.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I just watched Mudder's video about his value added battery service...
I then promptly cancelled my Battery Hookup order..
In my opinion, Mudder is absolutely offering the best way to go!
You have another reservation for modules Mudder.

Thanks for all of the work you are putting into this!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't have an answer at the moment. If someone has a spare MIMA system lying around that I can borrow for a week, I can definitively answer this question (and also fix the "constant four green LED" issue that also affects Mike's MIMA).
I can send you a Mima to play around with but it might have a few issues. It would be cool if we could get it to work with a FoMoCo batteries. I know my brother would like the bigger battery to use with his MIMA car. He actually purchase the Mima installed Insight just to use with your system.

PIMA, or the assist remapping feature, seems like it would be really good with the big battery. It can be programmed to give a little bit of assist at low throttle; to keep you in lean burn while going up hills for example. PIMA is said to work well with cruise control.

·
Premium Member
00 MT
59 Posts
Is 60s all additive parts/cabling/etc vs 48? Meaning if I buy a 60s kit is there anything missing for 48s?

I mostly drive 60-100 miles with power available, but the big use case is a couple ~2000mi road trips a year. I'm curious if the reduction in regen at 60s makes 48s better for possible 2+ days without access to power. I'd aim for campgrounds with power but that doesn't always happen.

If a 60s kit will do 48s, then I'd just install it as 60s and find out!

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's a lot to unpack in this thread, and I probably missed quite a bit of relevant info. First, thanks mudder for this project! From everything I've seen, it looks extremely well thought out and executed.
I just purchased 5 47Ah modules for a 60S configuration, and I'm excitedly watching your videos of progress.

I may have missed the discussion on it, but does the SoC display on the cluster work with the LiBCM, or does it just show a false SoC somewhere in the middle? I've seen the SoC in a few videos and it doesn't seem to move, and haven't found the answer here but with 600+ posts...

I also know parts shortages are a big issue right now. Should I order a LiBCM now and wait for the rest of the 47Ah/60s kit to be available, or order everything at once when it is officially supported in November? My main concern is getting on the waiting list if necessary so I don't miss out and have to wait months for parts availability. I would also consider building the tray and harnesses myself, but of course, would need the balance connector PCB's and a BoM of other parts. I'd be happy to be a tester for that setup - I build lithium powerwall and ebike batteries as a hobby and have some familiarity with Arduino code.

My input on the poll:
1: Which battery configuration do you plan to use:
1.48S or 60S. Modules for 60S ordered.

2a (60S users only): How comfortable are you at soldering surface mount 1206 components?
2b (60S users only): Are you willing to pay $100 more (including shipping both ways) for me to modify your HVDCDC converter?
2a. Completely comfortable SMD soldering down to 0603.
2b. If necessary but would prefer a DIY guide.

3a: Are you willing to pay $250 more (than base cost) for an onboard charger that can charge from empty-to-full** in 7 hours, BUT WHICH REQUIRES 240 Vac input voltage?
You would NOT be able to charge from a standard US wall outlet. You WOULD be able to charge from J1772 plugs (with an appropriate adapter), and/or any NEMA 6 or 14 type plug (e.g. dryer plugs, NEMA 6-15, etc).

3b: Are you willing to pay $450 more (than base cost) for an onboard charger that can charge from empty-to-full in 7 hours, and which will work with either 120 or 240 Vac input voltage?

3c: Are you willing to pay $500 more (than base cost) for an onboard charger that can charge from empty-to-full in 2.5 hours, BUT WHICH REQUIRES 240 Vac input voltage?
You would NOT be able to charge from a standard US wall outlet. You WOULD be able to charge from J1772 plugs (with an appropriate adapter), and/or any NEMA 6 or 14 type plug (e.g. dryer plugs, NEMA 6-15, etc). For the techies: I am looking at part number MeanWell CSP-3000-250.
3a. Yes, this is my preference.
3b. Probably, but not preferred.
3c. Yes, this would be my second preference.

4: Are you interested in even faster onboard charging?
If so, how much are you willing to pay to charge from empty to full** in 30/60/90 minutes?
4. Probably not interested if a 2.5h $500 solution is available. Faster charging puts more wear on the cells, and I have no need for it personally.

FYI: I intend to offer an 'upgrade' kit for existing LiBCM customers (i.e. those using the 5AhG3 modules).
5: Are you already using LiBCM and planning to upgrade to 47 Ah FoMoCo modules?
5. N/A to myself, I don't have a LiBCM yet.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I may have missed the discussion on it, but does the SoC display on the cluster work with the LiBCM, or does it just show a false SoC somewhere in the middle? I've seen the SoC in a few videos and it doesn't seem to move, and haven't found the answer here but with 600+ posts...
It always reads full, or one bar from full.

Also, post #10, 233, 234, 438, 441, mention the OEM SoC gauge not working... And that was just a quick search.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It always reads full, or one bar from full.

Also, post #10, 233, 234, 438, 441, mention the OEM SoC gauge not working... And that was just a quick search.
Thank you. I had found some of the early discussion but nothing recent, and yes I had used the search function. From those posts, it sounds like forwarding/spoofing the SoC to the cluster is beyond the scope of LiBCM due to hardware limitation, rather than not implemented yet due to the firmware not being completed. If so, thats unfortunate but not unexpected.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Thank you. I had found some of the early discussion but nothing recent, and yes I had used the search function. From those posts, it sounds like forwarding/spoofing the SoC to the cluster is beyond the scope of LiBCM due to hardware limitation, rather than not implemented yet due to the firmware not being completed. If so, thats unfortunate but not unexpected.
I'm more messing with you, although I would recommend sorting this post only viewing mudders replies to other people. I'm surprised how much information he has spewed over the past 8 months or so since the project really kicked off.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
Is 60s all additive parts/cabling/etc vs 48? Meaning if I buy a 60s kit is there anything missing for 48s?

I mostly drive 60-100 miles with power available, but the big use case is a couple ~2000mi road trips a year. I'm curious if the reduction in regen at 60s makes 48s better for possible 2+ days without access to power. I'd aim for campgrounds with power but that doesn't always happen.

If a 60s kit will do 48s, then I'd just install it as 60s and find out!
60S has:
-one extra high current cable
-one extra ribbon cable (needs to be installed prior to installing the modules; inaccessible once the front modules are installed; you can leave it installed if you're only using 48S).
-four extra bolts to hold the 5th module in place

... it's otherwise identical. I've been switching between 48S and 60S during my troubleshooting... takes just a couple minutes.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
Right now the OEM SoC gauge doesn't work, but that's just a firmware issue. Eventually I'll figure it out. The hardware is all there.

I also know parts shortages are a big issue right now. Should I order a LiBCM now and wait for the rest of the 47Ah/60s kit to be available, or order everything at once when it is officially supported in November? My main concern is getting on the waiting list if necessary so I don't miss out and have to wait months for parts availability.
I am not yet offering the DIY 47Ah LiBCM Kit for sale. I've ordered parts to build QTY50 47Ah LiBCM Kits... except for the grid chargers, as I'm still qualifying them. Once I decide which grid chargers work best, then there will be a long lead time, as they're hard to get right now.

FYI: With the previous 5Ah rollout, the wait wasn't too long from when the first order was delivered to the last.

I would also consider building the tray and harnesses myself, but of course, would need the balance connector PCB's and a BoM of other parts. I'd be happy to be a tester for that setup - I build lithium powerwall and ebike batteries as a hobby and have some familiarity with Arduino code.
If you're trying to save money and/or time, you probably won't end up doing so. If you want to do it for fun, all the files are available on github. Knock yourself out!

4. Probably not interested if a 2.5h $500 solution is available. Faster charging puts more wear on the cells, and I have no need for it personally.
At the rates we're charging, there is likely no difference in battery wear... the fastest charger we're looking at has a C/2.x charge rate. For the modules we're using, accelerated wear becomes an issue at 20C (which the insight can't even source/sink). Also, the long term battery testing I'm performing as we speak (and have been for at least the last month) shows zero impact from charging/discharging at much higher levels.

Cell aging along will be what kills these modules.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Wish I had a big lithium setup last night, will be very welcome next summer to have air conditioning overnight. Work travels brought me to a sold out hotel and California had a heat wave, it was rather unpleasant... It's not exactly uncommon to have happen lately with more people traveling and staffing issues so a small place to retreat to and sleep in cold air will be amazing.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
You should start tinkering with the air conditioning module now... you'll probably want to get a Lambda GEN 300 volt programmable power supply for bench testing.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 ·
Just finished testing the new 1500 watt power supply. It is very awesome, with several bells and whistles. I'm making a couple internal modifications so that it plays well with LiBCM. Right now I'm purchasing as many as I can find online; pretty slim pickings.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm never home to do anything like that. I'm having Eric do the battery stuff and was planning on having him do the air conditioner stuff as well. The car will have 3 or 4 months out of service for winter. There's a lot of roads I travel on for work that are only plowed between 10pm and 6am so the insight is a bit of a liability in winter even with an inch of lift. I'll be using the tahoe or something similar then so Eric will have a lot of time to work on the whole setup if it takes a while.

661 - 680 of 724 Posts