Honda Insight Forum banner
681 - 700 of 724 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Update...updated arduino...same error. Makes no sense.

COPYPASTE of error below:

Thanks in advance.

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp: In function 'void LiDisplay_begin()':

LiDisplay.cpp:12:3: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

Serial1.begin(9600,SERIAL_8E1);

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp:12:3: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'

Serial1.begin(9600,SERIAL_8E1);

^~~~~~~

Serial

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp: In function 'uint8_t LiDisplay_bytesAvailableForWrite()':

LiDisplay.cpp:20:10: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

return Serial1.availableForWrite();

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp:20:10: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'

return Serial1.availableForWrite();

^~~~~~~

Serial

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp: In function 'uint8_t LiDisplay_writeByte(uint8_t)':

LiDisplay.cpp:27:3: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

Serial1.write(data);

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp:27:3: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'

Serial1.write(data);

^~~~~~~

Serial

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp: In function 'uint8_t LiDisplay_readByte()':

LiDisplay.cpp:35:10: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

return Serial1.read();

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp:35:10: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'

return Serial1.read();

^~~~~~~

Serial

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp: In function 'uint8_t LiDisplay_bytesAvailableToRead()':

LiDisplay.cpp:42:10: error: 'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

return Serial1.available();

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\jeff\Desktop\Honda_Insight_LiBCM-main\Firmware\MVP\LiDisplay.cpp:42:10: note: suggested alternative: 'Serial'

return Serial1.available();

^~~~~~~

Serial

exit status 1

'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Sure looks like a board selection problem to me. I selected "Arduino Uno" as the board and got the same errors as you're getting. Then I set it to "Arduino Mega..." and the errors went away.
Could you explain this further? I am not very adept at this type of thing. I can follow detailed instructions well though. Are we talking about once Arduino is open or at another step?

Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
OK fixed, I think. Super thanks to Natalya and LowCarbon for help. Here's what happened:

1, my issue with it not uploading was fixed with LowCarbon's advice. A default setting in Arduino was incorrect. Since this wasn't in the tutorial and since I'm a dufus when it comes to software stuff I missed it.

2, my issue with the display was because I had Natalya's touch screen software on the car, done during the attempt at firmware update in an attempt to fix. I assume that that couldn't communicate with John's 1980s board so it went blank. I went back and put John's original on and it worked as below.

So issue #1 might happen to others and perhaps this post will help. Issue #2 is because of my explanation above, I'm in process of getting the touch screen on my car but haven't finished.

Many thanks again all.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
@jeffffej

I followed the instructions and it worked for me, except I was using Linux the first time so I had to change the permissions before it would let me up to upload the file. The second time I did it with a Mac and it was super easy.
Thanks I appreciate that. The instructions mentioned one of the places the 2560 configuration must be changed but not both. Once another member who had the same issue helped me I figured it out. His name is Rob and I continue to be astounded at the amazing people that comprise this community. Hopefully this will help others if this comes up again.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Where is the second place? The video mentions board, processor, and port.
The video I watched only mentions the one line where it needs to be checked. Maybe there is another video floating around out there.

The one I watched is below. At 8:18 he mentions PORT only, nothing else. Must be another video that is more thorough!

(1) Using LiBCM (Beta) - YouTube

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Can libcm be removed from the vehicle to be used as a power box? I am not planning on using my insight during winters because where I travel through is too treacherous in storm weather.

I'd love to be able to remove the entire unit to have essentially an 8kwh nominal solar generator that can be charged with the grid charger.

Even if I had to spend some money on an enclosure to make it viable I think it would still be cheaper than the 1500 I'd spend on a 2kwh unit and have much higher capacity to boot. I don't think I'd buy much bigger than 2kwh just because of cost.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
Probably... LiBCM will work outside the car, but you'll need to tweak some things (TBD) to get it working on its own. If you plan to drive 12 volt loads, you'll need the OEM DCDC converter, too (or something equivalent). I can provide guidance, but I'm not going to solve all the engineering problems for this corner case.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
General Update:
I just caught up on the sales backlog... please let me know if you filled out a purchase form in the past month and didn't received a message from me (either as an ic.net conversation, an email, or directly through paypal).

The 47Ah FoMoCo hardware design is finished. Right now I'm just waiting on parts to arrive. I suspect everything will get here by early November.

I've updated the DIY LiBCM Kit reservation form to include the 47Ah FoMoCo configurations. Note that all DIY 47Ah LiBCM Kits are the same. Those using QTY4 (48S) will have QTY2 leftover cables and QTY4 leftover bolts. Everything else is the same, so it's not worth selling two separate products. FoMoCo kits will cost around $1800... TBD, as I haven't added up the part cost yet.

Also, I haven't updated linsight.org yet to include FoMoCo-related instructions... I'm waiting for the final hardware to arrive before I film the installation videos.

My wife is out of town this week, so I'm spending most waking hours on LiBCM. Normally my garage queen is tucked into a corner, making her inaccessible on a whim. However, since wife is gone, I have access to both garage spots, and so I have ready access to both a 48S 5AhG3 car and a 60S 47Ah FoMoCo in the other.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don't think I'd use 12v, I have a small 300w solar generator for any non 120v needs and I could easily do pass through power from 120 to keep it going.

I'll probably have a pure sine wave inverter wired directly to the dc bus if possible to reduce losses and keep everything as compact as possible. When using the insight I'd want pure sine wave ac for some of my devices like starlink and laptop so I should already have that when it's all set up.

681 - 700 of 724 Posts