Honda Insight Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I maintain a 2001 manual and a 2006 CVT Insight for family members and also keep a wrecked 2000 for spares. For the last three years, I've charged and swapped out sticks on the two older batteries to get one good one, but it's on its last legs. I use a 300 mA trickle grid charger which gets it charged, but it only is good for a day or so. Seems like the two choices for a new battery with the 8A cells are Bumblebee and HybridReVolt. The Bumblebee is $400. more than the HybridReVolt battery - is it worth it? Has anybody done a comparison?
The comparison is simple. Look at the warranty, Bumblebee batteries come with a 3 year where as the hybridrevolt have a 1 year warranty. Also, I've seen Eli give a lot of advice on here that the competitors are just out to sell.

·
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
As stated, if you match our warranty, the difference dwindles to $200.

Of course, I can't know what goes on in another's business - but I do know what goes on at Bumblebee. Our focus is quality. Every day we work towards building a better IMA battery based on what we have learned the day before. It's in my nature to learn, to understand, and those values run deep within the company as well. We track everything we can, and that list continues to grow. Sometimes you end up tracking things that you didn't even know needed tracking. Every stick gets a serial number once tested. Our custom software tracks which sticks are in which pack and which slot they are in, and actually tells you where each stick goes. Throwing sticks into a pack at random is not the proper way to go about things. Anyway, in the event of failures - yes they happen - we want to learn as much as possible so we can prevent it in the future.

Most don't realize how unfathomably complex the IMA battery and it's systems are, namely the BCM. It is not dumb, nor unware, nor incapable. The IMA battery is so dynamic and fragile, it doesn't take much to throw things out of whack. It's definitely part science, part intuition. We have been working with these cells longer than anyone still in business - let us not forget that I still have the very first prototype in use in my personal Insight, at just over 3 years old now.

To be 100% transparent, our failure rate is under 1% and we are very happy with that; any retail establishment would be. Anybody who says they have 0% failures is either lying or has no sales. :D I know that would be higher without our front-end quality control. We stand by our product 100% with a no hassles return policy; we will replace your battery at no expense to you whatsoever in the event of a failure. We are also the only company that covers labor - if your battery fails within the first year, we will cover 100% of the labor; after that 50%.

Our goal is to create happy hybrid owners by providing a superior product, exceptional customer service and a successful business. Many here at InsightCentral have watched this unfold, and Bumblebee has nothing but happy customers. I wouldn't be happy with it any other way.

Is the extra cost worth it? I guess that's up to you to decide. We have priced our product according to the extra value we provide when compared to the competition. Some of that is tangible, some of it is internal.

Once we get more setup at the new, bigger shop I'm going to be "rolling back the curtains" as it were to better showcase some of our internal differences. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just put a deposit down

Well I am scraping the funds together to get my 2000 Insight back up and running. Just put down a deposit on some buzzzz:)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I hate having to read every single word in documents. But I want to be clear in lamest terminology.

Other than better "performance" over factory what benefits does the Bumblebee battery pack offer? My battery pack is 14 years old and is starting to show signs of age. I don't want to pay Honda gob's amount of cash to keep it going. My Dad does have a spare battery pack in good condition left over from his recently sold Insight. But again, it's factory.

I am looking for something that'll give my car more power on execration, and longer lasting juice. I need to convince my folks that this is the thing to do with my savings instead of upgrading the stereo system which I originally wanted to do.

So it's pronounced Max-EYE-Ma instead of Max-Eh-Ma?

·
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
What benefits are you looking for, other than better peformance? :) You can read my review of our product from 2011 here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/19950-ima-betterbattery-revealed.html

If you are on a budget, stick the spare pack you have in there. The worst that will happen is it doesn't work. Don't forget to grid charge first if it's been sitting.

The comments about a stereo system or battery are a little perplexing - I assume your parents would prefer you fix the car, rather than spend it on unnecessary things like a stereo? Of course, I do understand how important music is, but yeah. ;)

You can pronounce it however you wish lol. I call the IMA system the "eye-mah" system. So I pronoice it MAX-eye-mah.

I've heard Japanese call it the "EE-mah" system. Kinda like they say "Nee-kon" instead of "N-eye-con"(Nikon). Shrug. Don't tell Paul Simon. ;)

·
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
It should be understood that our batteries don't make the car more powerful in the strictest sense. Let me explain...

The car is limited, stock, to about 12kW of output power for about 4 seconds, and only in 2nd and 3rd gears. All other gears are limited to 6.5kW. Whether you can achieve this output power(even 6.5kW), and how long you can achieve it, is dependent on your battery. A bad battery will never hit 12kW. It might hit 7-9kW for 0.25 - 0.5 seconds at a time, if the SoC is high, and then be throttled down to 2-3kW. Thus, the difference between a bad and good battery is something like 2 seconds of 0-60 acceleration time.

Our battery will sustain 12kW over, and over, and over again.. Every time you mash the gas pedal(again, in 2nd and 3rd gears). Even at low SoC. That is the main difference.

As you can see from my review, a "good" replacement Honda battery only sustained (10kW in the case of using MIMA) for about 30 seconds before being throttled back, while the new battery sustains it for a couple of minutes.

It's a pretty profound difference if you are familiar with the IMA system at all, and especially if you're used to a bad battery. I saw the difference immediately upon putting the prototype in, even in comparison with a Honda replacement. :) Our batteries have only improved in the 3 years since, though mostly unseen - IR and other internal tweaks.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Is the 2 second improvement in 0-60 time limited to the first gen insight or does it also carry over to the HCH's? Thats the diff between the gen 2 insight and CRZ 12 vs 10 second 0-60. :evil:

It should be understood that our batteries don't make the car more powerful in the strictest sense. Let me explain...

Thus, the difference between a bad and good battery is something like 2 seconds of 0-60 acceleration time.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Well don't take away all his hope... Peter's current hack board + MaxIMA would be some fun times :).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Now I'm not looking for a kick in the pant's pushed into the backseat jumping off an aircraft carrier at Mach 1 type of acceleration. Nor am I talking about the same power that the turbo-charged Insight'ers are getting.
I just want some noticeable boost in accel. Sure, a new back-up factory battery will be better than a 14 year old dying battery. But still...............I think you get the idea. Look's like for now, we'll be putting in the good spare battery in my car and when that dies, we'll look into the BumbleBee pack. My folk's did agree that it's a better investment than the stereo system. And as the stereo system was going to cost me upwards to two grand, the two grand would be best invested in the battery pack.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Well don't take away all his hope... Peter's current hack board + MaxIMA would be some fun times :).
I'm not a technical person when it comes to "hacks" and what not. What does it do, how much does it cost, and how do I install it?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Administrator
11,457 Posts
A good/new battery is the first step to good performance.
So a Maxima should be the first thing you buy.

Then by all means unleash it's full potential by spending another $200 on the Ima Boost device and the current hack board and upgraded 150A minimum main battery fuse.

I fitted a new pack (Maxima equivalent) to my project car only yesterday and am now enjoying all the mods with that extra punch. :)

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Other than better "performance" over factory what benefits does the Bumblebee battery pack offer?
to use your own words, it offers 'more power on execration, and longer lasting juice."

·
Registered
230 Posts
Isn't it ironic when you get through 114 posts it points to another thread with 447!

To heck with it. Gas is $2.959. I'm going to fill up my 300hp Z28 from '94 and lay some rubber!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Checking the website, the Insight battery is out of stock. Any ideas when more will be available? How long is the waiting list?

·
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Yeah, we've been slammed - I just had to put them back out of stock a couple of days ago.

Batteries are never more than a week away these days, we'll be back in stock early next week.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,484 Posts
Eli does answer the phone.
Check your PM.
Willie

101 - 120 of 128 Posts