Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone on Insight Central. My name is John and I live in Arlington, VA. I do not own an Insight yet. I am currently car-less, but two dealers in the area said they could find me a black 2010 or 11 Insight with navigation. I am hoping that will happen within the next few weeks. I have been quietly scouring these message boards for the past month. It seems to be a great community!

During a test drive over the weekend I was able to see the aesthetic differences between the 2010-11 vs 2012-13 models in person. My question relates to the grill. Has anyone swapped out the 10-11 "razor blade" grill for the 12-13 with blue reflectors? After looking through a few different Honda parts sites with diagrams, it seems that it would fit and the installation would not be too involved. But I could be wrong! I count seven parts that would be necessary for the swap:

FRONT GRILLE 2012 HONDA INSIGHT Parts 5DR LX KACVT - Genuine OEM HONDA Parts

I'm a noob! So, I am sorry if this has already been discussed and would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Best,
John

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard. I live in Richmond, so maybe we will cross paths one day?

Yes, someone here checked and said it would.

My question would be is it worth the extra for the Honda Nav? Many say its not worth it and its a better buy to go aftermarket plus you can get a back up cam and other bels n whistles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cobb. Thank you for the kind welcome! Richmond is not far, so maybe we will cross paths.

Good to hear that the grill upgrade would work. If anyone has experience it would be great to hear about how the installation went.

I hadn't considered an aftermarket GPS, but that could be a good way to go. The Bluetooth and voice command seem like nice options. It's taking a while to find the options I want and I'm ready to stop sharing a car with my wife.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Yeah, the voice command maybe fun, but I never hear anyone bragging about it.

THe nav one guy said had a bug. If you say find starbucks it located the cloest one to a county in Arizona vs your actual location unless you select your state or say your city and state or something like that.

I got the middle one for the cruse control, alloy wheels, 6 speakers, trac control, heater mirrors and sport mode. I didnt think the next model up was worth it for just hte blue tooth and nav.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If you are buying used I doubt you will pay much, if anything, extra for NAV. In the years you are looking at it is the only way to have bluetooth integrated. Yes the NAV can be wanky, but it uses the same data as many aftermarket systems. The screen does display ipod info so that is an advantage. If you do find a NAV equipped through a Honda dealer, try to get the current DVD disk included in the sale. It costs about $150.00 otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are buying used I doubt you will pay much, if anything, extra for NAV. In the years you are looking at it is the only way to have bluetooth integrated. Yes the NAV can be wanky, but it uses the same data as many aftermarket systems. The screen does display ipod info so that is an advantage. If you do find a NAV equipped through a Honda dealer, try to get the current DVD disk included in the sale. It costs about $150.00 otherwise.
Hi egads. Thanks for the tips!

I'm hoping to buy certified pre-owned from a Honda dealer. You're right -- the markup for Navigation doesn't look too bad from what I have seen so far. It's cool that the screen can display the iPod info. Most would not consider that a need-to-have, but I love those little extra touches.

Excellent suggestion on the Nav DVD. I didn't think of that. Assuming the dealer can find me a car I plan to request the current DVD as part of the sale.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know what the year-by-year differences are, but my 2013 EX does not have Nav, but it does have bluetooth [for phone only] as well as iPod info on the audio screen. Those may be features that were only available on Nav models prior to 2013, or perhaps a year or two earlier they were available on all EXs just like my 2013.

What I'm implying is that if I had full choice, I'd gladly pay to get bluetooth--simply because it's so convenient and also a safety feature if you use a phone while driving--and am glad to have iPod readout on the dash at no cost, but would choose not to pay for OEM Nav capability, since they are known to be hard to update, cost more than aftermarket, and can't be moved to another vehicle. Personally, I also can't see a nickel's worth of value in a backup camera on a vehicle as small and nimble as an Insight, but that's just me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know what the year-by-year differences are, but my 2013 EX does not have Nav, but it does have bluetooth [for phone only] as well as iPod info on the audio screen. Those may be features that were only available on Nav models prior to 2013, or perhaps a year or two earlier they were available on all EXs just like my 2013.

What I'm implying is that if I had full choice, I'd gladly pay to get bluetooth--simply because it's so convenient and also a safety feature if you use a phone while driving--and am glad to have iPod readout on the dash at no cost, but would choose not to pay for OEM Nav capability, since they are known to be hard to update, cost more than aftermarket, and can't be moved to another vehicle. Personally, I also can't see a nickel's worth of value in a backup camera on a vehicle as small and nimble as an Insight, but that's just me.
Hi JC. I appreciate the input! Thanks.

For the 2010-11 models I have only seen bluetooth listed as an option w/ Nav. My guess is that bluetooth became a standalone feature as part of the 2012 refresh, but I am not certain. I agree with you on the backup camera -- it's a cool feature but really isn't necessary in a small hatch. I had no issue with visibility during the test drive.

·
Registered
68 Posts

For the 2010-11 models I have only seen bluetooth listed as an option w/ Nav. My guess is that bluetooth became a standalone feature as part of the 2012 refresh, but I am not certain. I agree with you on the backup camera -- it's a cool feature but really isn't necessary in a small hatch. I had no issue with visibility during the test drive.
I was never really a "have to have it" guy with backup camera's since most cars I have owned are small hatchbacks. But then I started driving cars from my wife's work and now I wish there was a good way to retro fit one on the Insight.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

That is the case, bluetooth was only available before 2013 in models with NAV.
There may be a way to display a back up camera on the NAV screen. I know it has been done with other Honda models. 2010 & 2011 EX models do have the center console usb connection, but I'm not sure how the radio displays info from that source.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was never really a "have to have it" guy with backup camera's since most cars I have owned are small hatchbacks. But then I started driving cars from my wife's work and now I wish there was a good way to retro fit one on the Insight.
Meh, still not convinced of the value of backup cameras myself. My wife got a new CRV a couple of months ago, now with factory backup camera, and I ride with her or drive her vehicle a couple of times per week. I get that the backup camera helps you to see sizable objects in the center of the field of vision, but the edges of the view aren't particularly easy to judge--i.e., tough to guess within a millimeter whether you're going to clip the edge of the garage or not. Maybe I'll get more expert at interpreting the camera view over time, but for now, if there's a close call between creeping past something on the edge of the camera view or not, I think I'll turn my head and trust my own eyes before I'll trust that "fisheye" view of the camera. The camera doesn't lie, but it's not positioned to give the clearest perspective on the corners of the vehicle, and I'm concerned that objects seen in the backup camera may be closer [or farther away] than they appear. Backup radar, now that's something I could get excited about.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just a tip on reverse parking. The angle of the rear windscreen means that you can see another car's number plate reflected in the upper part of the screen when you're about a metre away from it. Makes reverse parking a lot easier but not to be relied on when reversing towards dark coloured objects.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
... I get that the backup camera helps you to see sizable objects in the center of the field of vision, but the edges of the view aren't particularly easy to judge--i.e., tough to guess within a millimeter whether you're going to clip the edge of the garage or not. Maybe I'll get more expert at interpreting the camera view over time, but for now, if there's a close call between creeping past something on the edge of the camera view or not, I think I'll turn my head and trust my own eyes before I'll trust that "fisheye" view of the camera. The camera doesn't lie, but it's not positioned to give the clearest perspective on the corners of the vehicle, and I'm concerned that objects seen in the backup camera may be closer [or farther away] than they appear...
Same here. I was thinking of sticking two strips of adhesive tape on the rear bumper so I can tell where the edges are (I steer the car close towards an obstacle and a second person would stick the tape according to my instructions while i look at the screen). Would that be an option?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts