Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using the iphone 4s to connect to the USB port in the center console I could get music from the phone to play thru car speakers. Now with iphone 5s I cannot get this to work. Actually you can hear the music thru the car speakers at an EXTREMELY low volume, if you the turn the car stereo volume is up all the way. But the music is filled with static and it's so low volume that you cannot hear it over road noise. FYI, I've tried two different cables (one AT&T and one cheap brand) but neither worked.

The car is a 2012 insight WITHOUT Navi or Bluetooth. Anybody have ideas about how to get the iphone music to play via the USB connecter?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Does the 5s have any connection issues anywhere else? I assume it charges OK, but how about transferring data to and from a computer? Ever connect it by cable to another audio source like a dock? If this started with the different phone, I would look to the phone for the problem. We sometimes have an issue with getting a message that says: device not recognized or something, but once one chooses something to play it starts and works just fine.

Try blowing out both the headphone jack and the lightning jack. Sometime some fuzz from your pocket can course issues there.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The USB port cannot transfer music. It will only transfer the digital .AAC sound files. It will read them from the iPhone more or less the same way as it reads from an USB stick, with the added benefit of being able to access the playlists.

What you hear on the 5S is the phone playing music by itself and transferring sound to the car by interference rather than a distributed sound data file.

Maybe the 5S uses a different access or file format? Maybe Apple gurus know that?

I stopped using my iPod Nano years ago. I now use an USB stick which stays in the car unless I want to add to it.
The upside is not having to plug and unplug every trip, downside is losing a convenient charging opportunity for your iPhone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The iphone 5s charges without problem, and it transfers data to/from the computer just fine. And I tried to hook a different iphone 5s up to the insight USB port and it would not play music thru the car speakers either. So I doubt it's a flaw with one particular iphone 5s. Interestingly, when I connect the iphone 5s to the USB port, I can hear music thru the car speakers at normal volume for a split second, then it stops. So I know the phone/car is capable of doing this, but I just don't know how to make it work. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Googled a bit. I may buy an iPhone soon so I wanted to know too.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5327697?start=30&tstart=0
I'm a little late to the party, but I fixed this issue on iOS 9.1.4. I often got the "unsupported" message in my 2011 Honda Civic, and then couldn't get my phone connected at all after I replaced the fuse for my accessory port on my car.

I solved this by doing a hard reset of the radio. Which means I (carefully!) disconnected my car's battery for a few minutes (the radio is always receiving power) and then plugged it back in. Worked like a charm and haven't had an issue since. Bear in mind that after a hard reset, the radio in the car will ask you for the code. You can get your car's radio code from Honda with your car's serial number. Make sure you have it before disconnecting your battery!
https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Stop-working-in-my-Car-via-USB/td-p/1175037
I uploaded just one song from iTunes to the iPhone out of my local collection and it's back to normal again. I tried this on both of the devices that weren't working and it got them running properly. Neither of the iPhones had any music synced to them previously (only offline music from Spotify Premium).

I suspect it's a bug where the iPhone checks for any synced music and if it doesn't find any it just reports No Data, thus blocking other music apps from sending their own info.
and...
https://www.cars.com/articles/2012/09/iphone-5-wont-work-in-your-car-we-may-have-the-solution/
(lengthy blah)
I'd kind of forgotten the (phone) off-and-on trick and get back into the Spark. It's working there now, too!
(plus two other cars in which his phone did not work previously either)
So, my dreams of tech web domination are shot, but at least I now know how to answer anyone who's having trouble getting their new iPhone 5 to work in their car.
Just turn it off.
Hope this helps, one way or another?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem with my 6S, hooked up with the USB connector between the seats. I only use Spotify so I have no music on the phone itself.

The solution for me was: Add just a song to the phone's music library and it works. Well for me it worked, I don't think that the iPhone 5S does play in another format or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
pretpik
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing