Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a good mount for my iphone, ideally next to the climate pod and pointed right at my head for nav.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Hey that looks pretty good. I have been searching for something similar. Which device clip is that? They seem to have several for the iPhone itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's an holder for the Motorola Droid (actually Milestone, in Europe).
The various holders for a devices differs mostly on the power part: no power, power trough the usual 12v connector, or power trough a molex connector for more pro installations.

The Proclips mounts instead can be very differents; some car have a couples, others more, depending on the suitable points to anchor them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i used the strip of 3M locking velcro they use for those ezpass and other toll collection tags. you can also buy that stuff at home depot for $1-2.
it mounts the phone at slightly below eye level near the steering wheel above the climate control.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i used the strip of 3M locking velcro they use for those ezpass and other toll collection tags. you can also buy that stuff at home depot for $1-2.
it mounts the phone at slightly below eye level near the steering wheel above the climate control.
Zurk, if you're so inclined I'd love to see a pic of that setup... I can't envision it but it sounds promising!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Keep in mind your A pillar is a bomb that goes off in an accident and shoots an air bag across your window to your B Pillars. Id rather you glued something to the dash or hung something from the visor or rear view mirror.

You could take a look at the Brodit Proclip mounts.
For the Insight it's in the left front pillar, in a position that don't obstruct the view and that I find very convenient.

This is with a Droid holder:

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I just went and looked inside my car and indeed the airbag sign is high up on the pillar, at the point where the plastic meets the fabric. It is difficult to tell from the video (which I viewed prior to buying the car) whether the force emitted from the airbag deployment also affects the lower portion of the pillar, where the Proclip would be seated. I can't image it not becoming airborn in a collision. Might be a good idea to check with Honda on this one.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Maybe the Europe ones are different? There is no air bag in the head liner. The air bag is in the A and C pillars. Its never a "good idea" TM to mount anything to those. I have passengers who like to put things on the passenger side dash or use cup holders on the window. Nope, not recommended per the manual.

I clicked on the link ProClip Mounting System - Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts and all I see is vent and dash mounts. Where is the pillar mounts?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
You have to select the mount for iPhone AND 2010 Honda Insight from their website. I can't get the URL to appear correctly here but just go to the main page and select for the car/phone make/model and you should see the left side pillar mount come up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe the Europe ones are different?
No. I may not have expressed myself correctly (English isn't my main language), but the airbags are the same, obviously, and the side one don't come from the A pillar where the Proclip is mounted.

Here's a video from the american NHTSA (see 0:26 for example):
YouTube - 2010 Honda Insight NHTSA Side Impact

If a ProClip there can start flying in an incident, isn't because of the airbag by only by the accelerations due to the impact, and so the same can happen with one mounted in the vent, or anywhere else. The same is true for any object in the car passenger compartment at that time.
In that regard, one sure thing is that the mount on the pillar is very, very solid & stable, beause of the size of the anchor points, the pressure applied, and the adhesive strip.

I clicked on the link ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts and all I see is vent and dash mounts. Where is the pillar mounts?
ProClip - Honda Insight 2010-2011 - ProClip Left Mount - Item #: 804313

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Oh, ok, I see. When I clicked the link I could not get a car to list after selecting Honda and all the photos shows dash mounts, no A pillars.

Thats fine, I thought you were showing that the dash mount fits the A pillar, not that they made a mount for the i2 A pillar. I dont want anyone to take any short cuts and end up with a phone sticking out of their chest from an accident.

You have to select the mount for iPhone AND 2010 Honda Insight from their website. I can't get the URL to appear correctly here but just go to the main page and select for the car/phone make/model and you should see the left side pillar mount come up.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Response from Pro Clip re iPhone mount

I wrote to the company expressing Cobb's (and my) concern about the safety of their iPhone clip/mount design for the I2. Here is their response:

"This is no guarantee [that the clip/mount won't become a moving object in an accident] but it should not be a problem. The way it works is that the side curtain air bag pops/breaks the upper top part of the A-post panel slightly during impact and “slides” alongside the drivers door. The mount is attached much further down/forward towards the windshield and is not affected by this potential action. Additionally, the drivers air bag in the steering wheel will protect you from anything potentially coming from behind the air bag (the dashboard area) towards you when released, due to its size.

We hope this information helps. Thank you for your interest in our products.

Best Regards,

ProClip Customer Service"

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
After much deliberation and indecision I bought the left A pillar Proclip today, as well as the Tom Tom car kit and Tom Tom iphone navi app. Once I get everything hooked up I'll post some pics. I need something to get my phone up and out of the cup holder, as well as a back up application for detailed, up to the minute traffic info (my original gripe about the I2 navi).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts