Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I charge devices from the hybrid battery or is it going to the normal battery like in non-hybrid cars?
If not, can it be changed?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Car has a DC-DC converter to provide 12V power/charging. IIRC, it's 70A.

You could charge things from the hybrid battery, but you would need a REALLY good reason to do so and some expertise.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can I charge devices from the hybrid battery or is it going to the normal battery like in non-hybrid cars?
What are you hooking it up to? the 12v accessory port?

Anything 12V typically comes only from the accessory battery (in the front of the car). As far as I know the DC-DC converter off the 100V battery in the back is activated when the car is on.

If you mess with that you might be better installing a 51R with little effort, or with some effort a 121R or 26R, I've seen some people do this mod on their FITs and debated on this myself. If that is in sufficient, a second battery in your trunk and replace the spare tire and running a cable off it to the DC-DC.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
“Devices” Talk about dropping the lead. (newspaperman talk)

It’s hard to tell you if you can do something when we don’t know what it is you are trying to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to use the car for car camping and charge phones with the hybrid battery
Maybe even connect a small fan for air circulation around the vehicle

If I can also charge a laptop/small heater that would be excellent
I don't want to get another battery when I have two already

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The capacity of the hybrid battery is hardly any bigger than the 12V battery has. IIRC it uses 84 1.2 Volt 5.5 Ah sticks for 0.6 kWh available.
The OEM 12V battery has 35 Ah against 12 V so 0.42 kWh available.
Neither battery likes being drawn down deep.

Charging phones should not be an issue. You could charge 100 phones from a single charge of the 12V battery.
A laptop needs the right voltage, you may need a boost converter to charge them from the 12V battery. Still, no problem capacity wise.
Fans depend on power use and duration.
Heaters are very power consuming; better not run them from the car battery.

If you want to be safe get another battery system (f.i. a LiFePO4 pack), use that to power your extras engine off and charge it from the mains; way more efficient than having to burn extra fuel to charge them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I'd had mains in my parking place.

So if the hybrid battery is so small, the best option is another battery I guess

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Debil has it. However, it's a little worse than that. Technically, the USABLE capacity of the hybrid battery is only 60% of its rating, i.e., 0.6 * 1.2 * 84 * 5.5 = 3.3Ah. Also, when you factor in that the operating SoC is lower than that, it's even less.

All Honda hybrids are less suitable for your intended application than most non-hybrids.

Your best bet for this sort of application is a Prius. It will provide you with about 900W of 14V power, and it will cycle the engine on and off in order to keep the hybrid battery charged.

Still not enough to run a significant resistance heater.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Best you buy one of the smaller low output power 120 Vac inverter gas generators that are quiet and with luck you can find one with a 12v output socket. Under light loads the gas engine runs at a slow speed and speeds up as the load increases but it always puts out ~120 Vac at 60 Hz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best you buy one of the smaller low output power 120 Vac inverter gas generators that are quiet and with luck you can find one with a 12v output socket. Under light loads the gas engine runs at a slow speed and speeds up as the load increases but it always puts out ~120 Vac at 60 Hz.
That's a nice idea but it's too much
I think I'll stick with the idea of adding another battery

1 - 10 of 10 Posts