Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a new 2006 Insight but I'm concerned about something....I 've seen the that the Insight should have no more than 365lbs loaded into the vehicle for best fuel economy.

Is having 425 lbs (2 large people) loaded into the vehicle fairly frequently going to cause a serious drop in fuel economy? Am I going to bottom-out more often? Do any of you have this sort of weight in your Insight on a regular basis? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
466 Posts
well, i weigh 240, and i frequently carry people from work that weigh more than i do. no problems so far......

·
Registered
50 Posts
This morning I had to make a delivery on my way to work. I had the Insight loaded (cargo area and front passenger seat) with boxes. I would estimate around 250 to 300 lbs worth of cargo. Plus myself at 200lbs I am sure the car was around 450 to 500 lbs. I had no problem at all with handling or mileage. My mileage was actually 4 mpg higher that normal.

·
Registered
466 Posts
musta been downhill! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you have 200 pounds in the hatch area and a 200 pound driver you will probably notice bottoming out of the rear suspension. With 2 X 200 pound passengers it should drive just fine. It is the rear suspension that is soft. Spacers can be added to the rear springs to compensate. (One Insighter did this to compensate for a bike mount trailer hitch.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree, the further back the weight is in the Insight , the more likely you are to bottom out. Happens to me all the time with a good size load of groceries in the back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info.

Most of the weight I will have will be in the driver/passenger area only. Probably only about 50% of the time. Sound like it won't be much of a problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Thanks for the info.

Future Insight said:
Most of the weight I will have will be in the driver/passenger area only. Probably only about 50% of the time. Sound like it won't be much of a problem. Thanks again.
Any danger of sagging/weakening the springs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts