Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"car" not truck. ;) My Mercedes loans-out a V6 hybrid, but it's a Hugh Jass SUV:deadhorse: blech
The [2005-07] Accord is the only V6 hybrid car I know of. It also comes with a 15-year PZEV emissions warranty which is a definite plus. Did any other companies make a V6 hybrid car?

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
The Accord Hybrid is a 2.0L 4-cylinder.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You might be thinking of the Lexus hybrid. Although most of the hybrid cars I know of use a 4 and electric motor to give the power of a v6.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
05-07 Accord Hybrid was a V6

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2007/Accord-Hybrid/specs#mid^CN3647JNW

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Right, but they were crap. I assumed he was looking at new cars.

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Aveng, you competing with IL2011 for most threads created this week?

~Balto.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
2 new threads is excessive?!?!? BS. Anyway I thought all Honda fans knew about the Accord hybrid with a V6, so that's why I didn't specify (I'll edit my post). Oh and I've driven the Accord V6 hybrid... it's far from "crap". 0-60 in just over 6 seconds:respect:
I assumed he was looking at new cars.
I stopped buying new cars when I saw this stat: "Cars lose 50-60% of their value in the first 3 years." So now I buy used wherever possible. :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I stopped buying new cars when I saw this stat: "Cars lose 50-60% of their value in the first 3 years." So now I buy used wherever possible. :evil:
Wait you stopped buying new cars? I thought they just started producing (in extremely limited quantities) the hydrogen powered cars (so you would of had to buy new)? Also, hydrogen is only 4$ a gallon from all the sources I read (well 4$ 1kg and 1kg = 1 gallon of fuel) so idk where you are getting it that's costing 20$.

[Edit]: I see you said leasing the hydrogen car, isn't that more wasteful than buying a new car? A brand new civic is about 21-24k right? 50% is about 10.5-12k. You are paying 200 a month (at minimum) to basically rent a car you won't be buying in 3 years and having mileage restrictions (assuming your lease is 3 years) due to you saying you don't buy new cars. 200 a month*12 is 2400 a year *3 is 7200$. This makes no sense, you could get an insight with low miles and a brand new battery for 7200$.

Oh also I forgot, if it really is 20$ a 'gallon' (kg whatever) then that's even worse! You are not only leasing but paying 4-6x more for fuel!

[Edit edit]: I just did some minor research and the cheapest I could find a lease on a hydrogen car is 450$ a month! Holy crap!!!!! That more than doubles my napkin math above!

/Caseclosed.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Oh and I've driven the Accord V6 hybrid... it's far from "crap". 0-60 in just over 6 seconds
It might be fast but 22 MPG for a hybrid is pretty crappy.

Sam

·
3,641 Posts
Oh also I forgot, if it really is 20$ a 'gallon' (kg whatever) then that's even worse! You are not only leasing but paying 4-6x more for fuel!

[Edit edit]: I just did some minor research and the cheapest I could find a lease on a hydrogen car is 450$ a month! Holy crap!!!!! That more than doubles my napkin math above!

According to Toyota rep at the DC car show, their FCV lease will include "free" hydrogen for the term of the lease. I think Honda did that same deal on their limited production FCX.

What are you driving TheAveng?

Also, we own a Lexus RX400h. It's a V6 hybrid AWD crossover based on Camry and cousin to the Highlander. Able to tow 5000 lbs and gets 25 mpg easy. A very comfortable and reliable car loaded with amenities and high quality materials.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
According to Toyota rep at the DC car show, their FCV lease will include "free" hydrogen for the term of the lease. I think Honda did that same deal on their limited production FCX.

What are you driving TheAveng?
But he complained about paying 20$ a gallon for hydrogen (which it isn't even measured in,they measure in kg not gallon) so yea.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Hydrogen only makes sense if its made from a renewable resource like solar, wind, wave energy. Making it from "gas" is just wasteful. :mad:

Thats like the vegetable oil/diesel engine craze. When you burn waste cooking oil that would be trashed you are being part of the solution. When you use raw clean cooking oil or even convert it to "biodiesel" you are becoming part of the problem.

Be interesting to see what he is looking for in a vehicle. I want something that is more sporty, more room as to why I eye an accord in general. I tried the Civic SI, but it and the Civic in general is a bit small for me.

Considering the issues with the Honda IMA system battery I think any used Honda hybrid vehicle should have a discount vs premium in its price.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Hydrogen only makes sense if its made from a renewable resource like solar, wind, wave energy. Making it from "gas" is just wasteful. :mad:

Thats like the vegetable oil/diesel engine craze. When you burn waste cooking oil that would be trashed you are being part of the solution. When you use raw clean cooking oil or even convert it to "biodiesel" you are becoming part of the problem.

Be interesting to see what he is looking for in a vehicle. I want something that is more sporty, more room as to why I eye an accord in general. I tried the Civic SI, but it and the Civic in general is a bit small for me.

Considering the issues with the Honda IMA system battery I think any used Honda hybrid vehicle should have a discount vs premium in its price.
Have you looked into a newer focus? My friend has one (2013 auto) and he is 6'6 and says he can't fit into a civic but loves the room in the Focus. He is getting 31.5mpg all city with the A/C on and he does not drive eco minded at all (4k+ shifts).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I drive like your friend, but my family has poor experience with every ford owned. Long story short my mother wrote a nasty letter to a Ford challenging someone up the food chain to drive her car without a problem. Who knew he took her up on the offer back in the 50s and she ended up getting Ford to fix the problem.

Im sold on Honda and see they have plenty of aftermarket support. One reason I kick myself for not getting an HCH vs Gen 2 Insight.

Im not ready to drink the koolaid of the prius and would miss changing cvt ratios at 5600 rpms while still managing 54 mpg. :evil:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I drive multiple cars depending on my mood. Ford engines are ranked in the top 5 for reliability, and number one among US companies. The Fiesta 1.0 gave me 70mpg on the interstate, and I would buy that car (or Focus) if the Insight did not exist. Back to topic: I made a list of all the V6 hybrids I could find. Please let me know if I missed any.
- Mercedes E400h
- Lexus GS450h
- Infiniti Q70 hybrid
- Acura RLX hybrid
But he complained about paying 20$ a gallon for hydrogen (which it isn't even measured in,they measure in kg not gallon) so yea.
It would be wonderful if you stopped hating, and followed your mom's advice: "If you cannot say something nice about someone, then say nothing." It would be even more wonderful if you RESEARCHED and discovered that 1 kg Hydrogen == 1 gallon-equivalent. That means $20/kilogram == $20/gallon == what the Mobil station engineer told me == very expensive stuff. I'm glad Mercedes and the California taxpayers pay the tab

My lease expense is about $12,000. No way would I buy this junky hydrogen car. It keeps breaking down! (And the stations too.)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The Accord V6 Hybrid might be fast but 22 MPG for a hybrid is pretty crappy.
Wow that number is completely wrong. According to the EPA all the V6 Hybrid sedans (including 2005 AH) get 32-33 MPG on the highway, and 27-29 combined.

In my brief testdrive I used hypermiling techniques to get almost 50 mpg from the original AH thanks to its 3-cylinder cruise mode (in effect a 1.5 liter mode).

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Wow that number is completely wrong. According to the EPA all the V6 Hybrid sedans (including 2005 AH) get 32-33 MPG on the highway, and 27-29 combined.

In my brief testdrive I used hypermiling techniques to get almost 50 mpg from the original AH thanks to its 3-cylinder cruise mode (in effect a 1.5 liter mode).
That's the problem. They didn't get close to the EPA figures. Look it up. I doubt if people buying these cars were hypermilers. I was a little low, but it sounds like most of them are in the 20s. Factor in the battery cost and you'd be better off with a standard Accord.

The new ones are a whole different deal.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Since it's been discussed....

Confirming 1kg H2 = 1 gal gasoline equivalent. In other words, 1kg H2 contains the same BTU as 1 gallon of gasoline.

Cost of 1kg H2 = $1.00-1.80

I do not see distribution costs included, but with existing water supply infrastructure, Hydrogen could be produced at the point of distribution.

With Fuel cell efficiency, 50% of the energy can be extracted vs. 25% for ICE, so propulsive efficiency is twice as high, i.e., if you get 40mpg from gas, you'll get 80mpg (mpkgH2) for an equivalent power requirement (hp). Even if fossil fuels are used to produce H2, CO2 production is significantly lower due to the higher propulsive efficiency and the higher efficiency of a power plant vs. car ICE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back to topic: I made a list of all the V6 hybrids I could find. Please let me know if I missed any.
- Mercedes E400h
- Lexus GS450h
- Infiniti Q70 hybrid
- Acura RLX hybrid
A quick search of fueleconomy.gov turned up a few more
-Infiniti Q50 hybrid
-Infiniti M35h
-BMW ActiveHybrid 3 (inline 6)
-BMW ActiveHybrid 5 (inline 6)
-BMW ActiveHybrid 7 (inline 6)
-Mercedes S550e (plug-in hybrid)
-Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid (plug-in hybrid)
-Mercedes S400 Hybrid

Others:
-Porsche 918 Spyder (V8 plug-in hybrid)
-Lexus LS600h (V8 )
-McLaren P1 (V8 plug-in hybrid)
-Ferrari LaFerrari Hybrid (V12)

As you can see from the list, the Honda Accord V6 Hybrid is pretty much the only one that is not from a luxury or performance brand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts