Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CVT Insight “Cherry Bomb” 330K+
168 Posts
Last year when my hatch needed repairing, I got the 3D printed piece from user Jesse mentioned in this post. Email seemed to be the best way to get ahold of him.

2019 update: I DO NOT SELL THIS PART ANYMORE. User 'Jesse' has taken over selling this part.
Please contact Jesse to purchase the part [email protected]

If your trunk won't open and you only hear a 'whirring' noise when you press the button, then your trunk latch clutch (TLC) is broken.

View attachment 40385

I previously sold a mechanically superior TLC for $15 shipped anywhere in the US. ic user 'Jesse' has taken over selling the same TLC, so PM him if you'd like to order one, or paypal $15 to [email protected] and be sure to include a mailing address.

Jesse now includes written instructions and picture diagrams with each part. He also put together an 18 minute instructional video that takes you through the process of removing, fixing and reinstalling that part:
youtube.com/watch?v=q-5pFLtIdxg&t=572s

The price has stayed the same at $15 mailed in the US.

IMO removing the mechanism from the car is the most difficult part.
User 'rabl' posted detailed removal pictures.

Once the mechanism is removed, user 'gilbertguy' posted detailed pictures showing how to access the broken TLC.

You'll find the broken latch hiding under a couple gears that simply pull off.
View attachment 40393

The replacement TLC has two parts: enclosure (big) and cam (small). IMO, the easiest installation method is to place the enclosure over the shaft, then insert the cam, and finally the spring. The picture below shows the installed TLC BACKWARDS, so you can see where the TLC goes. You'll want to flip the TLC the other way for actual installation (i.e. the spring won't be visible).
View attachment 40401

If you're afraid to learn, Scott (KLR3CYL) will install this part for a very fair price.

FYI: None of the 300+ latches I've sent have failed. I suspect my part will last forever, as I've designed out Honda's flaws. Design is open source, with attribution. Print your own if you've got an ABS printer:
View attachment 40425

Yeah, now I'm able to open my trunk again with one hand!

·
Registered
157 Posts
How many people need what parts? I can't provide parts on an ongoing basis, but I can probably find the time to just run a batch of stuff in the next couple of weeks. I don't know what the window switch parts entail for shipping, but I like the hatch fix because I can just shove it in an envelope for $0.58 or whatever.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I believe he was using Mudder's design. Mudder's design is in the first post of this page:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I'm still making/selling the rear hatch blocks, trunk latch parts and engine air filter clips. The window switch part I believe requires a resin printer which I don't have. I attempted to print it multiple times and had limited success making the parts on my FDM style printer.

Shoot me a message or email if you need the parts listed above.

Reactions: joeaax1j

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Moon Car/Kenneth sorry for the confusion in my reply to your email from June.

Reactions: Moon car

·
Linsight Designer
4,129 Posts
I'm still making/selling the rear hatch blocks, trunk latch parts and engine air filter clips.
I'm glad you took this over... how many have you sold at this point? IIRC I shipped a couple hundred before I handed you the reigns.

The window switch part I believe requires a resin printer which I don't have. I attempted to print it multiple times and had limited success making the parts on my FDM style printer.
Correct: FDM printers don't have the resolution to accurately resolve the geometry. I did ship a couple FDM prints (back when I still shipped them), but I had to manually sand each part to make it work properly.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I'm glad you took this over... how many have you sold at this point? IIRC I shipped a couple hundred before I handed you the reigns.

Correct: FDM printers don't have the resolution to accurately resolve the geometry. I did ship a couple FDM prints (back when I still shipped them), but I had to manually sand each part to make it work properly.
I'd have to look at my records but I'm sure I've sold 150-200 by now. It has actually prompted me to make a couple other models/prints that I sell, one parts for a boat, the other a truck. So far I haven't had anyone report any problems with the parts I've supplied. Knock on wood. The only real issues I had was with the mailing process, got pretty bad during the height of covid so now I ship these all with a tracking number. Thanks for starting this and allowing me to take over and learn a new profitable hobby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts