Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or is EV better?
Or hydrogen FCV?

What technology should I be supporting? I'd like to hear thoughts/opinions on it. (Personally I'd rather see CNG cars than CNG-converted-to-run hydrogen cars.)

·
Registered
938 Posts
id prefer methane. Its one of the few resources that we have a huge abundance of, burns very clean, and wouldnt be difficult to retro fit our machinery to use it (vs some other methods)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
If you own your own home or are renting a place you can have a solar installation, Id say go solar. Many eco guys do just that. Drive on the rays they harvest directly or indirectly from their panels.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes solar is a logical choice for EVs.

Methane is only abundant until it starts getting used. Remember oil was considered "waste product" and a nuisance before the invention of oil-burning engines. There were literally lakes of it scattered around the planet (called tar pits).

When it came into demand, suddenly the waste product became less abundant.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see the Civic has a high compression ratio of 13:1 because CNG is 120 octane! Burning the CNG directly in a Civic may be better, except I don't know how "clean" that process is? I imagine it produces NOx, HC, and carbon monoxide just like any other imperfect combustion process. The Civic CNG is rated no cleaner than a Prius C by greenercars.org (and less clean than the original 70mpg Honda Insight).

Here's the CNG-to-H2 production:

(1) Steam-Methane Reforming Reaction
CH4 + H2O (+heat) ---> CO + 3H2

(2) Water-Gas Shift Reaction
CO + H2O ---> CO2 + H2 (+small amount of heat)

(3) In a final process step called "pressure-swing adsorption," carbon dioxide and other impurities are removed from the gas stream, leaving essentially pure hydrogen.

Steam reforming can also be used to produce hydrogen from other fuels, such as ethanol, propane, or even gasoline.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think in the end all alternative fuels "cost" the same in regardings to water, emissions and energy needed. Right now gas hovers around the sweet spot where one is "cheaper" than the others and gas has a habit to do that no less.

The nice thing about the cng or natural gas, propane cars is that if you have gas service you could refill your car at home. Rather you save any is a good question after considering purchase of the compressor needed to do so.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda is now telling Civic owners not to refuel from home, due to moisture in the lines damaging the car. I bet those people who spent $$$s installing the home units are annoyed. (Also those who had their car warranties voided.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts