Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some of you Insight owners say that you have had damage to your car for example one person on here said that there panels over there wheels got toren up while going in too deep of water and someone on here also said that there speedometer gauge is messed up. There are also several other things on here that I have heard go wrong with your Insight's. I don't get why it is that you all have had problems with your cars, I mean there not even that old. Anyhow I have heard that when you Insight owners take your car's to the dealer to get it looked at you have trouble getting parts or whatever is wrong with your car fixed. I am beginning to think that the Insight may not be the way to go, but then again I know a lady down the street from me that owns a Green Insight and she hasn't had any problems with her's, and she has a 2000 model.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Insight overall is probably one of the most reliable cars on the road. Many of us are over 100k miles and haven't had any problems. The body is all aluminum so there's no worry about rust or corrosion under paint chips. The engine and most parts of the car were made specifically for efficiency and aren't used in other models. Everything is overengineered. The few problems that have been reported on these forums are expected in any car. The Insight should last until the engine looses it's efficiency.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hundreds of Insight owner must check out this forum, and usually we only hear about them when they have a problem. But the problems are rare and mostly minor things compared to other cars.
Insight parts are easy to get from any Honda dealer usually they get most common parts the same day. Some rare parts might take a few days or weeks to arrive. I have not had any problems gettting normal wear parts like brakes etc...

I bought my 2000 Insight used May 2003 and i've put 58,000 km on it since then including auto slalom racing every weekend with race tires!
I use synthetic engine oil and I often redline my engine for a few seconds while i'm racing on a weekly basis.
No problems here, I still get great mileage when I drive accordingly.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
True getting parts sometimes can take a little time. Anything not common will come from Japan. Most common parts are stocked in Honda's US warehouses though.

As far as the car being reliable transportation however I can't complain. Many members have high mileage cars and they haven't had any major problems with them. I'm not going to lie though, when something does go wrong they do sometimes take longer than average to get back up and running. I had an issue with a loose connection in my main fusebox in the engine compartment where a fuse connector had worked it's way loose and the resultant arcing caused it to need replacement (factory warranties are great). Well it took them 4 weeks to get the part drop shipped from Japan, but in the mean time after it sitting at the dealership for a week the service manager and I got some dental tools and pulled the clip back up enough and scraped the arcing off enough for it to work just fine in the mean time. But hands down I'm glad I still have the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts