Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I went for an oil change at a local dealership this morning and, as always, specified 0W-20 synthetic. I also asked when I called them to make the appointment whether or not they had 0W-20 synthetic in stock and was assured that they did. I also told them that the engine oil capacity is 2.6 quarts, and that I would like the remainder of the third quart returned to me.

When the service was completed, the service department guy comp'd me a full quart of "Honda Genuine 0W-20" oil. I am assuming that this is the same stuff that they just put in the car. Since there is no notation on the quart saying it is synthetic, I was wondering if anyone out there knows.

BTW... They also managed to overfill it, even though I specifically told them how much the car takes. This is the second time they have done this, and I will no longer go to this dealership for service.

Thanks,

Chris in Washington, NH

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
It is good quality oil, but it is NOT synthetic. It is amazing that they still overfilled it! I would talk to the service manager about this!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've said this so many times it isn't even funny. Do your own oil changes, then you know the work is done correctly! Oil changes are simple to perform. Dealership service departments are the worst goof balls ever.

You really have to check their work and always get your old parts back. Of course you have to know what you are looking for and at first.

I'm curious, how much they charged you for this so called synthetic oil? But as you have already been told, Honda doesn't make synthetic oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, seeing as how they made me wait for an hour to get this done, even though I was the first person checked in, the oil change was a freebie, however the invoice price for the oil was $4.58 per quart.

I used to do my own oil changes, and probably will again now that this has happened twice. Guess it's time to dig out those ramps.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Chris G said:
I also told them that the engine oil capacity is 2.6 quarts, and that I would like the remainder of the third quart returned to me.

When the service was completed, the service department guy comp'd me a full quart of "Honda Genuine 0W-20" oil.

<snip>

BTW... They also managed to overfill it, even though I specifically told them how much the car takes. This is the second time they have done this, and I will no longer go to this dealership for service.
I'm sure that's why he gave you a whole quart. When he asked his technician where the .4 quart extra that you asked for was, the tech went "ummm, it's in the car"

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Chris G said:
the invoice price for the oil was $4.58 per quart.
That sounds about what synthetic oil costs per quart but I would bet you didn't get synthetic oil put in your car.

Unless as most service dealership service departments do, they filled your car not from oil bottles but from a higher volume tank. Thus, they didn't have a used quart to give you and ultimately just decided to give you a full quart from stock. Some dealerships do have synthetic oil in the service department, but I am not aware that Honda does as none of their cars use it from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts