Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my pollen filter today (and thanks to Figgy for his pics). I couldnt believe you had to cut the plastic to access it!

The foam on the base of the filter cartridge was slightly damp (not wet) - Is it a leak or just moisture from condensation from the A/C. Can the system be tested by a dealer to check for pressure loss?

Do I run the system on full heat to dry it out?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Did you look for signs of any moisture hear the heater core of the pathway going to the filter? I know it's kind of narrow in there, but I would look to see if it was just the foam first.

I am no expert in this area, but I do know that durring the summers here that we get a lot of condensation from the AC use and that results in a place for bacteria to grow so when you first start your car you get a funky smell comming from the vents that your not really supposed to breathe.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
My gut tells me that there should not be any moisture from condensation on the filter.

Even if there were condensation in random parts of the system, wouldn't it all be condensing on some cold metal portion of the ducting and AC system and not on the paper of the filter? If you take a shower, your tissue doesn't get all soggy. The moisture condenses on the cold tiles and mirrors where there is heat transfer. There is no real heat transfer for the paper, so no direct condensation should occur.

Since the AC is used to dehumidify the air for defrosting and such, I figure they must have set it up to condense moisture out at the cold finger of the AC system and purge it. I haven't looked in the service manual, so I am just guessing.

In other words, it sounds like something fishy is going on. Maybe somehow there is a leak from above bringing in outside moisture? Did it rain recently? Wash the car? Any possible outside source?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi John,

The best A/C performance test is a hot humid day and a thermometer. With recirculate on, Temp set to maximum cool, windows rolled up, within 5 miles of running a constant _minimum_ 35 MPH the center duct outlet temp should be 44F or lower. The A/C thermostat rarely allows air as cool as 38F to prevent ice buildup on the evaporator coils. The A/C compressor will be cycled off to regulate the minimum evaporator temperature.

If the humidity is high enough or your not running recirculate then the outside (and presumably inside) of the evaporator case can become cool enough to condense atmospheric moisture on its surfaces. A normal consequence. So some slight moisture on the foam edges of the filter may be normal. If not then Figgy's got the other bases covered. <g>

The dehumidification effect of the A/C system should be sufficient for drying. Simply crank on enough heat to be comfortable and use recirculate. Too much heat is bad for the IMA batteries. So roasting the interior of the car is definitely not recommended.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
jack9994 said:
I changed my pollen filter today (and thanks to Figgy for his pics). I couldnt believe you had to cut the plastic to access it!
I thought this was pretty lame myself. It's not even easy to take off the glove box door. My girlfriends Toyota RAV4 is so easy to access this area that it isn't even funny! Why couldn't Honda make things easier for us?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts